See also 1841 & 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 , 1891 and 1911 censuses for Headley
The sheets contain details of every person found in the 1901 census return. The information is sorted in alphabetical order, by surname, then forename, then age.
Grayshott: The Ecclesiastical parish of St Luke's, Grayshott had separated from All Saints', Headley in January 1901, before this census was taken (see Boundaries) – however the Civil parish of Grayshott was not formed until October 1902, a year and a half after after the census. Nonetheless, the enumerator sheets show the division, and those entries relating to Grayshott are indicated on this website by the letter 'G' in the right column.
Entries in italics were not in the census, and have been added from other sources.
The columns contain the following information:—
3. Condn: Marital status
6. Born: County where born.
7. [Blank]: Parish (or town) where born.
8. G = entry in Grayshott section of census
Note that while every care has been taken in the compilation of this list, you should always refer back to original documents before drawing any important conclusions from the information.
Numbering of the people the 1901 census children of 2 years registered as single. Each enumerator received a guinea for the first 400 people, and 3/6d per 100 thereafter. Blue paper left at every house, and on Sunday was filled up.
The Boundaries of the New District (Grayshott church
Huts corner Farnham Road as far as 'The Croft' leave the road and follow a FP to the left to a point 14 chains from cottages known as Stony Castle, and so reach a point close to Mr Laurence's farm, where the stream in Whitmore Bottom separates Surrey from Hampshire follow the stream on the Hampshire bank down Whitmore Bottom to a point 8½ chains this side of Barford Pond, then up a path on this side of Mr Prichard's house 'Llanover' (which remains in Headley parish) then straight cut cross country to a point on the Grayshott to Arford road where a roadway opens to Ludshott Common thence behind Grayshott Hall and Grayshott Court to the highest of Waggoners Wells ponds (but do not include any of Bramshott parish, now like a peninsular almost surrounded by the new district) from there follow the County boundary to the milestone on the Portsmouth Road a little way above Chase Villas then a straight line to the end of Sandy Lane [now Hazel Grove] just above Nutcombe Hollow and pass up the middle of Sandy Lane leaving the houses on the further side of it in Shottermill then again a straight line across hill and dale till we reach Hindhead House (which is included) and passing behind to take in the Punchbowl Inn with houses round about it.
information is often available on entries in this census:—
Contact me if you need further information or explanation.