Rent-roll for Headley, 1774

Index Survey of 1552 Part population 1761

NOTE: If your ancestor owned property rather than rented it, he won't necessarily be in this list!

Transcription from 23M50/29 (Hampshire Record Office)
Note: This material is also summarised in 23M50/40

Written by Thomas Gatehouse of Headley Park circa 1774:-

Memorandum: This is a complete Rentroll of the Bishops Rents at Headley a true copy of which was delivered to James Serle Esq Steward of the said Manor by me Thomas Gatehouse in 1774.

Headley-Tithing, Bishop-Sutton-Manor-Rentroll-As delivered to James Serle Esq, Steward of the said Manor, A.D, 1774

NB. The investigation of these rents which, for want of a regular Roll, had not been collected for many years, and which, by Sir TG's close attention and application for 4 years and upward* by the assistance of a survey taken in 6. Edward VI, and, well knowing, the terminus a quo & ad quem - has at length formed and established such a Rentroll, as affords infinite satisfaction to the Bishop and his tenants, and which now regulates their yearly payments.

* The copies, since Edw 6th time, have been split, divided, and subdivided various times - whence arose the great difficulty in tracing out the lands and their present proprietors

Note from his survey of the 1552 Tithing:-

Abbreviations in this transcription:- Mess = Messuage; a = acre; d = old penny; pcl = parcel?; ppr[e] = purpresture land that has been obtained by encroachment on either common land, waste land or woodland.

Index of entries

Headley Tithing - The Manor of Bishop's Sutton

 

 

 

Yearly rents

Suit of Court

ppr. rent

Sum total

 

 

 

s

d

s

d

s

d

s

d

1

Dr Speed

A free-holder for Wishanger for certain waste-land in the Tithing of Hethley & Manor of Sutton

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7

2

Nicholas Baker

Waste-land at Newman's Green near Simon-stone in said manor

 

 

6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

3

Robert Silvester

Waste-land, occupied with Bacon's

 

 

5

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5

4

William Collins

Waste-lands called the Corner Field, near Smith-Lane-Green

 

 

5

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5

5

Thomas Magewick

1 mess &17a called Fieldhouse late Dr Holme's

 

6

2

 

1

2

 

 

 

 

7

4

 

 

-CUSTOMARY TENANTS-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

North Farm

1 mess & 14a called North-house

 

4

4

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

4

11

7

Thomas Collison

1 mess & 26a called Hern-Close

 

3

4

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

 

8

Thomas Collison

6a called Kitt's, parcel of 1 mess, etc late in the possession of Robert Harding

 

2

6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9

Thomas Collison

Hill's 4a, parcel of 34a and 8/8 rent called Langford's (long since divided)

 

2

-

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

 

10

Thomas Collison

+ Hern-Grove 5a, parcel of 1 mess and 6/8, called Luke's
Note: This rent has been consistently paid by Ayling - tho' many years separated & sold off from Luke's copy

 

2

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

11

-

11

Late Robert Harding

1 mess, curtilage & garden, parcel of Kitt's 6a as above

 

 

6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

12

James Ellyott

Closes, parcel of 24a, and 4/- rent in 1552, called Hern-house, now Scotcher's

 

1

6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

6

13

Mr Manwaring

1 mess & certain other lands, parcel of 24a called Hern-house, as above

 

2

6

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

 

14

Mr Manwaring

1 toft and 22a, called Keyne's

 

4

-

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

 

15

Mr Manwaring

1 mess and 10a parcel of 23a and 6/8 rent called also Keyne's (William Ellyott the other part)

 

3

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

11

-

16

William Ellyott

10a the other parcel of Keyne's 23a and 6/8 rent

 

3

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3

4

17

John Harding (8. Geo 1)

Half acre parcel also Keyne's, called the Land of Nod

 

 

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

 

 

Carried forward to p.2
Barford, brought forward

1

17

9

 

4

1

 

 

 

2

1

10

18

John Rook's

1 toft and 16a called Trachetts (11 Geo 3)

 

4

4

 

 

4

 

 

 

 

4

11

19

Richard Trimer (Hill's)

21a late Jane Neal's, parcel of 34a and 8/8 rent called Langford's (the other part [Hill's?] paid by Mr Collison 2/-) on ye division, rent

 

6

8

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

8

20

Richard Trimer

1 mess & 10a called Lock's, now Knights

Note: These three rents [ie. 18, 19, 20] have been paid by Rooke and his pride upon time out of mind, when tis well known they had only that called Trachetts.

 

4

4

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

4

11

21

William Ellyott

25a, parcel of 1 mess 40a, and 15/4 rent, lying on the south part of Barford Lane

 

9

-

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

9

7

22

Robert Clements (1 Geo 3)

1 toft and 15a lying in 7 closes on the north part of Barford Lane, between Park Lane East and Langford's 14a called Hill's on the west, parcel of the above 40a-rent since division 15/4

 

6

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

4

23

William Ellyott

Parcel of 1 mess 12a and 4/4 rent called Hole, with Robert Ayling who hath consistently paid the whole rent ever since the division of the lands, 18 Geo 2, vide

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

24

William Ellyott

The same with respect to Trachetts, if he is admitted to any part of it, for Rooke pays the whole of the ancient Qt rent, viz 4/4 as above

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

25

William Ellyott

1a in Whitmore Bottom called Lowleg, South Water running through the meadow to Mr Pim's mills

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

6

 

 

6

26

John Rooke or Mr Sherlock

1 toft and 16a called Townships, rent 2/8, late James Collins's (13 Geo 3)

 

2

8

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

 

27

John Rooke or Mr Sherlock

1 mess 24 a and 6/8 rent called Luke's Hern-Grove 2/- rent pcl of the same, except ?? (see Thomas Collins's copies)

 

4

8

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

 

28

John Rooke or Mr Sherlock (9 Geo 3)

1 toft & 17a called Dene-Lands, part of 1 mess and 1 mill at Barford, rent 12/2

 

8

6

 

 

4

 

 

 

 

17

4

29

Richard Pim

1 mess, mill & 8a late Bardin's, pcl of ye paid 12/2

 

3

8

 

 

3

 

 

 

 

3

11

 

 

Carried forward to p.3
Barford, brought forward

4

7

11

 

7

7

 

 

6

4

16

-

30

Robert Ayling

1 mess and 12a parcel of Norris's (now William Ellyott's) called Hole-Farm, rent 4/4 and wholly paid by him though William Ellyott is admitted to part of the said lands-vide his rents

 

4

4

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

4

11

31

Fra: Baker

1 mess & 22a called Playstowe

 

7

8

 

 

7

 

 

10

 

9

1

32

Fra: Baker

1 mess & 24a called Gryme's

 

7

8

 

1

2

 

 

 

 

8

10

33

Fra: Baker

Half acre of meadow at west end of north bid Mead, near Trigmore

 

 

2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

34

Fra: Baker

A piece of land near the river in a place called Drake's-bridge

 

 

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

35

John Mayhew

1 mess & 25a called Ayliffs

 

6

2

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

 

36

John Mayhew

14a, half parcel of 1 mess, 23a and 5/2 rent, called Home-house or Old Lands, lying at Grayshott, a residue thereof is now his brother Robert's property

 

4

2

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

 

37

John Mayhew

Parcel of lands called Utterheath, lying also at Grayshott and part of Hurlbuts 2/-

 

1

3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

12

9

38

Richard Leidger (27 Geo 2)

A piece of ppre, part meadow and part wood, etc, and joining the water-course from Whitmore to Barford mills (parcel of 1 mess, 22a and 7/8 rent called Playstowe) Rt

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

-GRAYSHOTT-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

39

Richard Holloway

1 toft and 10a called King's

 

2

3

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

2

10

40

Richard Holloway

1 toft and 10a called Barnland

 

3

4

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

3

11

41

Richard Holloway

Half acre ppr at the south end of Broad-field

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

 

 

1

42

Richard Holloway

7a parcel of 1 toft, 18a and 3/- rent, called Bull's, divided with Richard Messingham

 

1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

 

43

Richard Messingham

1 mess newly erected and 14a, parcel also of Bull's, every way inclosed with the Lord's Waste

 

2

 

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

2

7

44

William Trigg

1 mess and 21a called Grasseat

 

5

2

 

 

7

 

 

1

 

5

10

45

William Trigg (div 17 Cha 1)

1 close or coppice called Marle-Croft, parcel of 1 mess 66a & 27r Rt called Hurlbutts-Rent

 

1

6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

6

 

 

Carried forward to p.4
Grayshott, brought forward

6

14

11

 

13

5

 

1

6

7

9

10

46

Robert Mayhew (12 Cha 1)

1 mess and 22a called High-Grayshott-rent

 

5

-

 

 

7

 

 

6

 

6

1

47

Robert Mayhew

Parcel of 23a and 5/2 rent called Home-house-the other part is John Mayhew's

 

1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

48

Robert Mayhew (divided 9 Jam 1)

1 close called Brightness, parcel also of Hurlbutts 2/- rent containing 3a-rent

 

1

3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

3

49

William Eades

1 cottage and 1a ppre, called Bundy's

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3

 

 

3

50

Dr Holme's executor

1 mess, garden and 2 small paddocks at Whitmore, and 1 other small parcel called the School-Plot near the Glebe-Lands of Headley

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

 

 

6

51

Edward Freeland

3 crofts of ppre at Whitmore adjoining the above

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

-

 

2

-

 

 

-STANFORD-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

52

Richard Chaces

1 mess & 21a called Philps's or Glovers

 

3

8

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

4

3

53

Richard Trimmer

1 toft & 15a called Ashlands (20 Jam 1)

 

6

 

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

6

7

54

Richard Trimmer

1 parcel of ppre called Washford, near Gates-bridge at Lyntford-Chase

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

-

 

1

-

55

William Ellis Esq

1 mess and 25a called Brokeland

 

6

-

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

6

7

56

Jonas Nash

1 cottage & 6 feet of land, parcel of a farmyard called Stretches-Rt

 

 

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

57

Daniel Christmas

1 mess, garden, grove and 6a

 

3

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3

-

58

Daniel Christmas

4a ppre called Hedge-Reed, between the High-Way, on both parts

 

1

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

-

59

Daniel Christmas

3a of Bond-land called Philps's Upper Field, parcel of the land called Stretches

 

 

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

60

William Murton (22 Geo 2)

2 tenements, garden and water-courses called Mill-Garden, from the Fulling-Mill which stood thereon in year 1552

 

 

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

61

William Caiger

1 cottage, garden & half-acre near Stanford-Green adjoining Evely lands, near the Wheeler's shop

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

-

 

1

-

 

 

Carried forward to p.5
Stanford, brought forward

8

2

10

 

15

9

 

6

9

9

5

4

62

John Hunt

1 cottage, garden & half-acre of land adjoining Stanford-Green called West-Land-7d

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

 

 

4

63

John Lee (Malthouse}

1 mess called Stonehouse, parcel of 1 mess & 27a called Stoneland, with its apperch[?] containing 1a

 

 

 

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

7

64

Late Mr Stone's

11a parcel of 9 closes & 26a, other part of Stoneland

 

6

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

-

65

Late Mr Stone's

1 mess, 24a and 6/2 rent, called Washford (24a, half excepted from both copies, rent 3/-)

 

3

2

 

 

7

 

 

1

 

3

10

66

Goodyer

1 cottage & close called Burden's, formerly part of Stonelands, containing 87 feet, late William Woods Snr-sold to in 1774

 

 

2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

67

Marner Walker

1 mess 30a and 8/- rent called Reynolds, except 3 closes sold to Vintner's at 2/8 rent

 

5

4

 

 

7

 

1

1

 

7

-

68

Marner Walker

Parcel of Stonelands and Washford copies 24a half 1 close

 

3

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3

-

69

Daniel Jackson

3a of ppre land, over against the Mill-house, between the land of Mr Marner on the south and the lane on the north, abutting on Lacey's-Marsh, divided from the Mill-copy in the 4 Charles 2 and now occupied with Lacey's freeland

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

 

 

4

70

William Gill Esq (M 13 Geo 2)

1 parcel of land containing 75 perches, between the land late of Richard Luhnan on the south & east, and the river on the north & west, and the land of Henry Lock[?] on the north & east

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

71

William Gill Esq No.1 William Trigg, 1/6; 2 Robert Mayhew, 1/3; 3 John Mayhew, 1/3; Total 4/- (9 Jam 1)

1 mess 66a and 27/- rent, & suit 7d called Hurlbutt's (excepting Marlcroft, Brightness & Utter-heath, 6a closes lying at Grayshott, at the yearly rent of 4/-)

1

3

-

 

 

7

 

 

 

1

3

7

72

William Gill Esq (14 Cha 1)

1 parcel of Waste containing half acre adjoining to the Mansion-house of Laurence Child, whereon a cottage is now built

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

 

 

4

73

William Gill Esq (4 Cha 2)

Stanford-Mill & Mill-house, with the pond & water-courses thereto belonging, & 1 piece of ppre land containing 2a

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5

 

 

5

74

William Gill Esq (29 Eliz -)

1 Fulling-mill, 3ffh of ppr and a Moor called Grayshott, containing 10a

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

 

 

6

 

 

Carried forward to p.6
Stanford, brought forward

10

3

6

 

18

1

 

9

10

11

11

5

75

William Gill Esq

1 mess 32a and 8/8 rent, called Fishe's or Lower-house

 

8

8

 

1

2

 

 

 

 

9

10

76

William Gill Esq (8 Wm 3)

5a Ketche's Moor-plot, a parcel of Waste lying at Lyntford, between the river there on the north, Osborn's mead west, and Lyntford-Chase on the south-rent

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

 

 

4

77

William Gill Esq

1 parcel of moor containing 6a lying at the north end of the Moore at Thurston's, between the land of William Harrison called Smithsland east, and land called Lock's, now Stephen Lee's, west-total 1:15:9

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9

 

 

9

78

Mr Cleare (26 Geo 2)

1 mess 40a and 8/10 rent, called Hatchhouse in Stanford

 

8

10

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

9

5

 

 

-HEADLEY-HILL-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

79

William Woods, a minor

1 cottage at the Church-Gate, late Thomas Lee's

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3

 

 

3

80

William Woods, a minor

1 cottage, curt, garden, orchard and backside, called Pithouse, parcel of 17a called Pittlands

 

 

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

81

William Woods, a minor

1a called Lower-plott, lying at Lyntford-Chase, known by the name of Huls[?] or Old William Marshal's

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

 

 

4

82

William Woods, a minor

2a of ppre at Arford, parcel of 1 mess & 2a there called King's, divided between him and John Lee-by the Will of the late proprietor, Mr Thomas Lee-rent

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

 

 

2

83

Thomas Channel (16 Jam 1)

1 mess & 18a called Hedley-hill Farm, near the Church, and late Thomas Lee's

 

4

5

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

5

-

84

Thomas Channel (5 Cha 1)

1 parcel of moore at Lyndford called Fish-mead, known by the name of Hill's, 3a, rent 8d, divided

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

 

 

4

85

Thomas Channel

1 close called Furzy-field 3a and 1 parcel of ppre called Thurston's, with a meadow at the west end containing 6a near Lyntford-Bridge

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

-

 

2

-

86

 

1 parcel of waste containing half acre on the east of the highway leading to the Forest, and Chase of the Lord on the south-whereon stood a cottage-now the storehouse of John Lee facing the Church-Gate-rent 4d

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

 

 

4

 

 

Carried forward to p.7
Hedley-hill, brought forward

11

5

9

 

20

5

 

14

4

13

-

6

87

John Baker

17a parcel of 1 mess, curt, garden & close at Hedley-hill, called Pitt-Lands, lying in 6 closes in the east part of Pit-Lane

 

4

5

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

5

-

88

John Baker

1 mess, garden & 12a of ppre called Crab-tree, lying together in 7 closes in the south part of Hurland-Lane, near the Free-School

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

-

 

2

-

89

John Baker

10 perches of land, parcel of a cottage garden and 40yd[?] granted to Mary Allen (now widow Rowe) by the yearly rent of 12 pence, now divided, to each 6d

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

 

 

6

90

John Baker (6 Geo 3)

1a of the Waste (parcel of the Upper and Lower Houses, etc, which was divided to George Chitty by Elizabeth Chitty, widow, but not taken up- in consequence of which John Baker was admitted

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

 

 

4

91

Martha Dunce (3 Geo 3)

3 crofts of ppre called Vintner's containing 8a at Hedley-hill, in the south part of the Poor-house lands, by the benfient[?] yearly rent of

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

-

 

1

-

92

Martha Dunce

2 crofts of Bond-land containing 6a rent of 1 close called Hook-land 3a parcel of one close called Long-Dean and Hook-land in Stanford, all part & parcel of Reynold's including 10 perches[?] of customary with the buildings thereon, and 4a of ppn land called Hodge-reed

 

2

8

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

8

93

William Caiger (12 Geo 3)

1 mess 40a and 5/7 rent, including suit 7d, called formerly Courtney's, now Curtis's-excepting 84 rod and 7d rent to John Eades

 

5

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5

-

94

William Caiger

2a abutting upon the river, of ppr land, rent 2d (except 1a and 1d rent for Billford Mead)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

 

 

1

95

John Eades

84 rods of land, parcel of Curtis's and 5/7 rent

 

 

 

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

7

96

Mrs Collins (19 Geo 2)

The south end of 1 cottage and 10 perch of garden ground, part of one cottage and parcel of land containing 1a of Bond-land, with the Waste called Little-heath on the east, and the Bond-land of William Caiger called Courtney's on the west, by the yearly rent of ... called Crafters

 

 

2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

 

 

Carried forward to p.8
Hedley-hill, brought forward

11

8

-

 

21

7

 

18

3

13

17

10

97

Charles Collins

1 mess 26a and 5/9 rent, suit included, called Hillands, 23a of which lye logn in the east part of Hurland-lane, the Lord's Waste on the north, and 3a in the north part of the Way-theres[?] with the west end abutting upon the ppre land called King's at Arford-rent

 

5

2

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

5

9

98

Charles Collins

1 toft & 20a of other land, called also Hillands, lying logn in 8 closes, between the above land on the west, and the heath on the east, south and north parts-rent

 

5

2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5

2

99

Ronald Houndsome

1 cottage and three-quarters acre (parcel of 1 mess & 15 a at Lynsted formerly (1552) John Hethe's, and excepted from 7a of William Channel's at Thurston's, heretofore parcel of the same) lying at the north end of a close called Hilland-hanger

 

 

1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

100

William Collins

A certain piece of water on the Lord's Waste called Hilland-Pond, by new grant in 1774, at the yearly rent of

 

1

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

-

 

 

-ARFORD-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

101

John Lee (11 Geo 3)

1 mess and 3a of ppre called King's, late Thomas Lee's, bounding south on 3a of Hillands (excepting 2a given by said Thomas Lee to William Woods as a favd) by the yearly rent together 4d

 

 

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

102

Charles Harding's widow

17 perches, parcel of the said King's 3a

 

 

1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

103

James Cover

16 perches of the Waste Soil, by new grant in 1767

 

 

6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

104

John Rowe's widow (22 Geo 2)

1 mess and 40 rood of land, late Mary Allen's, old rent 1/--divided with John Baker's in the forgoing account

 

 

6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

105

Sarah Basley

1 mess, garden, etc, called the Upper-house

 

 

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

106

Mary West

1 mess, garden, etc, called the Lower-house

 

 

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

107

Sir Thomas Gatehouse

20 perches of the Waste-Soil near Arford-House with 1 mess, garden, etc, called the Barley Mow

 

 

6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

108

William Bettsworth

2 closes called the Heath-fields containing 6a heretofore part of Mrs Manwaring's 4/- rent, abutting upon Arford-hill

 

1

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

-

 

 

Carried forward to p.9
Billyford, brought forward

12

13

-

 

22

2

 

18

3

14

13

5

109

William Bettesworth (7 Geo 3)

1 mess 21a and 4/6 rent (excepting Grove-field 6d, Church-field & Bilford-Mead 1/3, in all 1/9)-remains

 

2

9

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

3

4

110

William Bettesworth

1a of ppre land, parcel of Courtney's, called Curtis's and adjoining east, to the Alderbed, and to Bilford-lane west, bounding on Arford Water-course-rent

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

 

 

1

 

 

-LYNSTED-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

111

(1552)

1 mess 15a and 5/1 rent, ppre 1d called Clevers-original rent 5/2-granted off: 11a to William Eades (3/8) half acre to Stephen Lee ppr 1d-total 3/9

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

112

John Earle

The residue, as in Rent-roll 1761-0:1:5d
Additional lands bought from:-

Stephen Lee's half acre in north part of Woolfield parcel of 7/4-1/-

Huntingfords 7a formerly John Hethe's-2/8

Gore Perch 1a of mead called Thurston's

Huntingfords, a small parcel of customary land at Lynsted over against the cross there, in a corner, etc-total 3/9

 

5

2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5

2

113

John Earle

The same John did then hold 1 parcel of ppre with a meadow containing 2a lying together at Thurston's between Smith-land east[?] and the river on the west, by the yearly rent of

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8

 

 

8

114

O.S. 1552

Stephen Lee

1 mess 25a1/2 and 7/4 rent, ppr 1d-7/5

Lands divided and sold off:-

11/2a to John Earle in Woolfield-1/-

8a to William Eades, bounding on Mill-lane-2/4

1a to Widow Huntingford's-Church-field-1/-

? to William Channel, Brech-field-3d-total 4/7

 

2

10

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

3

5

115

Stephen Lee

The said Stephen doth also hold 1 other parcel of ppre mead containing half an acre, lying between the above half acre on the south, and the river on the north, heretofore parcel of Clever's as above-rent

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

 

 

1

 

 

Carried forward to p.10
Lynsted, brought forward

13

3

9

1

3

4

 

19

1

15

6

2

116

Sir Thomas Gatehouse

1 mess and 171/2a called Gore-perch

 

3

4

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

 

117

Sir Thomas Gatehouse

I parcel of ppre meadow containing one acre lying at Thurstone's-by the yearly rent of

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3

 

 

 

118

Sir Thomas Gatehouse

1 toft and certain lands called Brett's containing by estimation 10a in Lynsted-rent

The many copies in Sir Thomas Gatehouse's possession (the first beginning Sept 18, 42nd of Eliz) will prove the above to be the old rent

 

3

6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7

8

119

John Huntingford (13.2 Ann)

1 close called Church-field with a tenement thereon newly erected containing 4a lying at Lackmore-cross on the south part of Curtis Lane-Mill-lane or Drift-way on the west and abutteth on Sir Thomas Gatehouse's land-by the rent of

 

1

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

120

John Huntingford (parcel of Bilford)

1 close called Church or Pick-field and a small piece of land to the same adjoining, containing in the whole 4a, lying on the south part of Smith-land, between the above 4a and 6a of Sir Thomas Gatehouse's land, and abutteth on his land

 

1

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

121

John Huntingford

All those meadow lands called Bilford, containing 2a lying in the west part, over against the mess there and adjoining to the highway leading from Lynsted to Sanders-green, between the land called Brett's on the south and the river on the west and north-rent

 

 

3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

122

John Huntingford (free)

Land in Kingsmead belonging to this estate

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

3

123

Mary Harrison

1 mess and 27a called Smyth's, rent 6/8 (excepting William Eades' meadow at Lachmore containing half an acre, rent 4d)-residue

 

6

4

 

 

7

 

 

 

 

 

 

124

Mary Harrison

1a of ppre at the north end of the moor at Thurston's

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

 

 

 

125

Mary Harrison (rent by division half 7 Wm 3)

One moor called the Great-moor containing 4a, one paddock on the south part of ditto half acre, one other ditto on the north and south parts of ditto 2a, being all ppr land and called Thurstone's, with a meadow containing in the whole six acres-rent

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

2

 

 

 

126

Mary Harrison (late John Hethe's, now Harrison's)

Washford-mead, called the Lower-plott, 1a lying at Lyntford upon the river, abutting north upon Old Marshal's, now William Woods a minor-rent

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

 

8

11

 

 

Carried forward to p.11
Lynsted, brought forward

13

19

2

1

4

6

 

21

4

16

5

-

 

 

Note that since the Survey was taken in 6th of Edward 6th, the two following farms [Eade's and Channel's] at Thurstone's have been formed by dividing and separating the same from the old copyhold lands, as under, viz.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

127

William Eades

1 mess, garden, etc, at Thurstone's-lane [see following]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

128

William Eades

1a of meadow called Latch-moor near Huntingford's mess, parcel of 1 mess and 6/8 rent called Smyth's, now Harrison's

 

 

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

129

William Eades

2a being parcel of 1 close called Short-lands, containing 4a, part also of Smyth's in 1649

 

1

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

130

William Eades

1 close called Whaddon 4a, two moors called Hatch-moor 1a (both parcel of one mess and 7/4 rent, now Stephen Lee's)

 

2

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

131

William Eades

7a called Broom and Pick-field, parcel of 1 mess and 5/2 rent

 

1

8

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

132

William Eades (Clever's in 1552 O.S.)

3a called Middle-field, parcel of ditto

 

1

4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

133

William Eades

2a called Pike-field, parcel of ditto (9 Cha 1)

 

 

8

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7

4

134

William Chanel

7a parcel of 15a and 6/8 rent at Lynsted (part of John Hethe's copy in 1552 now sunk) in the east[?] part of Thurstone's-lane between Smyth's-land and William Eades' 11a as above on the north part, and Chanel's own, formerly Bilford, on the south

 

2

8

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

135

William Chanel

4a called the Breche, with a mess and barn thereon, between Sir Thomas Gatehouse's north and Lyntford-chase south, parcel of customary[?] lands and 7/4 rent (now Stephen Lee's) before this division

 

 

3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

136

William Chanel

Half acre, a small paddock, bounding upon the orchard of Ab Harding and land of Henry Clear's called Hatch-house on the south-rent

 

 

1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

137

William Chanel (7 Wm 3)

3a parcel of Bilford called the Grove-field-rent

 

 

6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3

6

 

 

Carried forward to p.12
Lynsted, brought forward

14

10

-

1

4

6

1

1

4

16

15

10

138

John Tuckey

8 perches of the waste, being parcel of ppre called Thurstone's, with a cottage thereon erected-rent as the same is divided

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

 

 

 

139

John Tuckey

20 perches more, parcel of the Lord's Waste near the land of Levy Bettesworth, formerly part of Billford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

 

 

3

140

Henry Bicknel

Half acre of the waste with a cottage thereon near Lyntford-bridge

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

 

 

2

141

Richard Woods (8 Geo 3)

20 perches of land, parcel of the late Elizabeth Quinal's

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

142

William Bicknel (31 Geo 2)

3a1/2 of the Lord's Waste with two tenements thereon

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

 

 

4

143

John Harding (2 Geo 3)

A cottage, toft and 2 parcels of the waste-soil, half acre called Hill's and 3a late Silvester's

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

-

 

1

-

144

Peter Combes

1a of the Lord's Waste, parcel of two tenements, gardens, etc-by copy dated 30 Sept 1773-rent

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

-

 

1

-

145

John Gates (a new grant AD 1773)

A mess, garden and 4a of the waste near the Bridge leading into the Forest, on the east side of the river-rent

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

-

 

1

-

146

John Rivers

4a of the waste-soil called Colepap's-meadow, heretofore parcel of Gates's, lying near the above land, against Woolmer Forest

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5

 

 

5

 

 

-HOLY WATER-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

147

Thomas Button

2a of the waste-soil with a cottage thereon

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

 

 

4

148

George Eades (28 Geo 2)

1a of ditto, late Hoare's, with a cottage thereon-rent 6d-divided

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3

 

 

 

149

Henry Mathew

Quarter acre called Lower-mead, parcel of the above

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3

 

 

6

 

 

Total

14

10

-

1

4

6

1

6

4

17

-

10

 

Index:-

1649. 129

1767. 103

Alderbed [Arford]. 110

ALLEN, Mary. 104. 89

Arford. 82

Arford Water-course. 110

Arford-hill. 108

Arford-House. 107

Ashlands, Standford. 53

Ayliffs. 35

AYLING. 10

AYLING, Robert. 30. 23

Bacon's. 3

BAKER, Fra:. 34. 33. 32. 31

BAKER, John. 104. 90. 89. 88. 87

BAKER, Nicholas. 2

Bardin's. 29

Barford Lane. 22. 21

Barford mill. 29. 28

Barford mills. 38. 25

Barley-Mow. 107

Barnland, Grayshott. 40

BASLEY, Sarah. 105

BETTESWORTH, Levy. 139

BETTESWORTH, William. 110. 109. 108

BICKNEL, Henry. 140

BICKNEL, William. 142

Bilford. 139. 137. 134. 121. 120

Bilford-lane. 110

Bilford-Mead. 109. 94

Billyford. 109

Bond-land. 96. 92. 59

Breche. 135

Brech-field. 114

Brett's. 121. 118

Bridge leading into the Forest. 145

Brightness, Grayshott. 71. 48

Broad-field, Grayshott. 41

Brokeland. 55

Broom-field. 131

Bull's, Grayshott. 43. 42

Bundy's, Grayshott. 49

Burden's. 66

BUTTON, Thomas. 147

CAIGER, William. 96. 94. 93. 61

CHACES, Richard. 52

CHANNEL, Thomas. 85. 84. 83

CHANNEL, William. 137. 136. 135. 134. 114. 99

Chase of the Lord. 86

CHILD, Laurence. 72

CHITTY, Elizabeth, widow. 90

CHITTY, George. 90

CHRISTMAS, Daniel. 59. 58. 57

Church. 83

Church-field. 120. 119. 114. 109

Church-Gate. 86. 79

CLEAR, Henry. 136

CLEARE, Mr. 78

CLEMENTS, Robert. 22

Clever's. 132. 115. 111

Colepap's-meadow. 146

COLLINS, Charles. 98. 97

COLLINS, James. 26

COLLINS, Mrs. 96

COLLINS, Thomas. 27

COLLINS, William. 100. 4

COLLISON, Thomas. 19. 10. 9. 8. 7

COMBES, Peter. 144

Corner Field. 4

Courtney's. 110. 96. 93

COVER, James. 103

Crab-tree. 88

Crafters. 96

Curtis's. 110. 95. 93

Curtis-lane. 119

Dene-Lands. 28

Drake's-bridge. 34

Drift-way. 119

DUNCE, Martha. 92. 91

EADES, George. 148

EADES, John. 95. 93

EADES, William. 134. 133. 132. 131. 130. 129. 128. 127. 123. 114. 111. 49

EARLE, John. 114. 113. 112

ELLIS, William, Esq. 55

ELLYOTT, James. 12

ELLYOTT, William. 30. 25. 24. 23. 21. 16

Eveley. 61

Fieldhouse. 5

Fishe's. 75

Fish-mead, Lindford. 84

FREELAND, Edward. 51

Free-School. 88

Fulling mill, Standford (1552). 60

Fulling-mill. 74

Furzy-field. 85

GATEHOUSE, Thomas, Sir. 135. 120. 119. 118. 117. 116. 107

GATES, John. 146. 145

Gates-bridge. 54

GILL, William, Esq. 77. 76. 75. 74. 73. 72. 71. 70

Glebe-Lands. 50

Glovers, Standford. 52

GOODYER. 66

Gore-perch. 116. 112

Grasseat, Grayshott. 44

Grayshott-moor. 74

Great-moor. 125

Grove-field. 137. 109

Gryme's. 32

HARDING, Ab. 136

HARDING, Charles, his widow. 102

HARDING, John. 143. 17

HARDING, Robert. 11. 8

HARRISON, Mary. 126. 125. 124. 123

HARRISON, William. 77

Harrison's. 128

Hatch-house. 136. 78

Hatch-moor. 130

Heath-fields, Arford. 108

Hedge-Reed. 58

Hedley-hill. 91. 87

Hedley-hill Farm. 83

Hern-Close. 7

Hern-Grove. 27. 10

Hern-house. 13. 12

HETHE, John. 134. 126. 112. 99

High Grayshott. 46

High-Way. 58

Highway leading from Lynsted to Sanders-green. 121

Highway leading to the Forest. 86

Hill's. 143. 84. 22. 19. 9

Hilland-hanger. 99

Hilland-Pond. 100

Hillands. 101. 98. 97

Hoare's. 148

Hodge-reed. 92

Hole. 23

Hole-Farm. 30

HOLLOWAY, Richard. 42. 41. 40. 39

HOLME, Dr. 50. 5

Home-house, Grayshott. 36

Hook-land. 92

HOUNDSOME, Robert. 99

Huls[?]. 81

HUNT, John. 62

HUNTINGFORD, John. 122. 121. 120. 119

HUNTINGFORD, Widow. 114

Huntingford's, Lynsted. 128. 112

Hurland-lane [now Crabtree Lane]. 97. 88

Hurlbutts, Grayshott. 71. 48. 45. 37

JACKSON, Daniel. 69

Ketche's Moor-plot. 76

Keyne's. 16. 15. 14

King's. 102. 101

King's, Arford. 97. 82

King's, Grayshott. 39

Kingsmead. 122

Kitt's. 11. 8

Knights. 20

Lacey's-Marsh. 69

Lachmore. 123

Lackmore-cross. 119

Langford's. 22. 19. 9

Latch-moor. 128

LEE, John. 101. 86. 82. 63

LEE, Stephen. 135. 130. 115. 114. 112. 111. 77

LEE, Thomas. 101. 79

LEE, Thomas, late. 83. 82

LEIDGER, Richard. 38

Little-heath. 96

LOCK, Henry. 70

Lock's. 77. 20

Long-Dean. 92

Lord's Waste. 144. 142. 139. 100. 97

Lord's Waste, Grayshott. 43

Lower-house. 106. 90. 75

Lower-mead. 149

Lower-plot. 126. 81

Lowleg. 25

LUHNAN, Richard, Esq. 70

Luke's. 27. 10

Lynsted. 134. 121. 118. 112. 99

Lyntford [Lindford]. 126. 76

Lyntford-Bridge. 140. 85

Lyntford-Chase. 135. 81. 76. 54

MAGEWICK, Thomas. 5

Malthouse. 63

Mansion-house. 72

MANWARING, Mr. 15. 14. 13

MANWARING, Mrs. 108

Marle-Croft, Grayshott. 71. 45

MARSHAL, William, Old. 126. 81

MATHEW, Henry. 149

MAYHEW, John. 71. 37. 36. 35

MAYHEW, Robert. 71. 48. 47. 46. 36

MESSINGHAM, Richard. 43. 42

Middle-field. 132

Mill-Garden, Standford. 60

Mill-house. 69

Mill-lane. 119. 114

MURTON, William. 60

NASH, Jonas. 56

Newman's Green. 2

Norris's. 30

North-Farm. 6

North-house. 6

Old Lands, Grayshott. 36

Old Marshal's. 126. 81

Osborn's-mead. 76

Park Lane East. 22

Philps's Upper Field. 59

Philps's, Standford. 52

Pick-field. 131. 120

Pike-field. 133

PIM, Mr. 25

PIM, Richard. 29

Pithouse. 80

Pit-Lane. 87

Pittlands. 87. 80

Playstowe. 38. 31

Poor-house [prior to Union Workhouse]. 91

QUINAL, Elizabeth. 141

Reynold's. 92. 67

RIVERS, John. 146

ROOK, John. 28. 27. 26. 24. 18/19/20. 18

ROWE, John, his widow. 104

ROWE, Mary, widow. 89

Sanders-green. 121

School-Plot. 50

Scotcher's. 12

SHERLOCK, Mr. 28. 27. 26

Short-lands. 129

SILVESTER, Robert. 3

Silvester's. 143

Simmonstone. 2

Smith-land. 120. 113

Smith-Lane-Green. 4

Smithsland. 77

Smyth's. 134. 129. 128. 123

South Water. 25

SPEED, Dr. 1

Standford-Green. 62. 61

Standford-Mill. 73

Standford-Mill-house. 73

STONE, Mr. 65. 64

Stonehouse. 63

Stoneland. 68. 66. 64. 63

Stretches. 59. 56

Thurston's. 138. 125. 124. 117. 113. 112. 99. 85. 77

Thurstone's-lane. 134. 127

Townships. 26

Trachetts. 24. 18

TRIGG, William. 71. 45. 44

Trigmore. 33

TRIMMER, Richard. 54. 53. 20. 19

TUCKEY, John. 139. 138

Upper-house. 105. 90

Utterheath, Grayshott. 71. 37

Vintner's. 91. 67

WALKER, Marner. 68. 67

Washford. 68. 65. 54

Washford-mead. 126

Wat-theres[?]. 97

WEST, Mary. 106

West-Land, Standford. 62

Whaddon. 130

Wheeler's shop, Standford. 61

Whitmore. 51. 50. 38

Whitmore Bottom. 25

WOODS, Richard. 141

WOODS, William. 101

WOODS, William Snr. 66

WOODS, William, minor. 126. 82. 81. 80. 79

Woolfield. 114. 112

Woolmer Forest. 146


Headley Home Page


This site maintained by John Owen Smith Contact for further information.