Hampshire Treasures in Headley
These entries are for Headley parish as entered in Hampshire Treasures (1982)
ISBN 0-900-908-7-26 — look on
the Hampshire web site for the whole county
Additional material in italics supplied by Joyce Stevens in 1975 – Ref Nos. refer to her notes, now in the Headley Archives
Excerpts from To the Ar and
Back by Joyce Stevens (written 1992) added where appropriate
Note: items below are in sequence as published in Hampshire
Treasures [said to be approximately in order of age, but this is not strictly
- Tree: High Street. Chestnut, planted 1891 to mark the site of the stocks.
the Ar and Back] Planted in September 1891 on the
site of the stocks by the Rector, Mr Laverty, the butcher, Mr Wakeford, and
the landlord of the Holly Bush, Mr J.Kenyon, an "old soldier who could tell
a good tale". A Pink Chestnut, provided by Peter Ellis, was planted in November
1991 by the Rector and his family outside the Church Centre, to celebrate
the Centenary of the tree on the triangle in the High Street.
- Fossil Beds: Headley Farm Pit, south west of Headley Wood Farm. The best
known section of fossiliferous Puttenham Beds. SU 814 373
[Ref 103] Designated a Site of Special Scientific
- Occupation and Flint Working Sites: Group of Mesolithic sites at Trottsford,
Sleaford. Finds include narrow-blade cores, microliths, end-scrapers, etc.
Heathland now overgrown and farmland under cultivation. SU 806 380
[Ref 43] On plateau about 366 ft. Flakes first observed
1926 and site located in deep deposit of sand. 200 finds altogether, comprising
narrow blade cores, microliths, endscrapers, etc. Area ploughed for first
time in 1948; three chipping floors revealed, from which flints have been
taken; all in 'mint condition'. Some of the site is part of Broxhead Common,
but in spite of appeals to the County Council (Dec 1972) and a personal visit
by Mr Victor Emery and his wife (Aug 1973), the Amey Roadstone Corporation
was allowed to extend the existing sandpit up to the drive leading to Trottsford
Farm. NB: If this site extends across the road southwards on to Broxhead Common,
all is not lost. Literature: 1) Hampshire Field Club (HFC) Proc. Vol 18 1951-3;
2) W. Woodhouse 5.5.56
- Implement: Palstave found in garden near Beech Hill Social Club. Bronze
with well-defined stop ridge. Now in Haslemere Museum. SU 837 364
[Ref 93] Mid Bronze age implement. Donated by Arthur
Stenning in 1940.
- Bowl Barrow: Broxhead Common. Situated on small hill. Damaged by ploughing
before being put over to pasture. SU 807 381
[Ref 42] Some 2ft of the top of the barrow has been
eroded off (quoted from letter to Mrs P Barnard, former owner, from Miss SM
Bell, DoE, 8th March 1974 - Ref AA60807/1) Literature: 1) OS 6" 1910; 2) HFC
Proc. Vol 14 1938-40 page 352 Hampshire Barrows (LV Grinsell); 3) FG Aldsworth
- Stone bowl: Picketts Hill Farm. Old bowl, possibly for grinding corn, used
for many years as feeding trough for chickens. Reputed to be of Saxon date.
Formerly at Trottsford farm.
[Ref 67] An antiquarian noticed it and recognised
- Old Travelway: Cradle Lane. Bridleway going north from rear gate of Headley
Park and across the river. One of eleven bridleways and thirty-eight footpaths
in the parish. SU 813 382 – 816 389
[Ref 102] Mr Laverty, rector 1872–1928, said that
the name was given because the gypsies used a copse along it for their winter
quarters, and the women gave birth to their babies in the Spring before setting
out on their Summer travelling. Before the A325 was made from Alice Holt to
Bordon (c1828), this was the road from Farnham to Headley.
- Church C14: All Saints. Rebuilt 1859. Stone structure with C14 Perpendicular
tower. Wide-spanned and massive timbered roof, dating from C14. Fine C14 window
with elaborate super-tracery in west wall and C13 lancet incorporated in south
wall of chancel. SU 821 362 – Literature: 1) Headley, the Story of a Hampshire
Parish 1066–1966, by Canon Tudor Jones, rector of Headley 1934–1965; 2) Victoria
County History (VCH) Vol 3 1908 page 54 see also
Description written in 1935
[Ref 1] Rebuilt in 1859 with the exception of the
Perpendicular tower dating from 1380. In NE window of chancel is a panel of
painted glass dating from about 1260, a relic of mediaeval art. Other ancient
features are: a C13 lancet in S wall of chancel, a 2-light window in S wall
of nave, and a fine 3-light window with elaborate super-tracery in W wall
of the same date. Most important feature is the magnificent roof–dates from
the last quarter of C14–great width (26 ft) quite exceptional in a Parish
Church. Tie-beams, king posts and wall plates all heavily moulded–braced rafter
and collar construction very massive. Shaped by adze. Recent theory supplied
by Mrs Manning and Miss Ware of Farnham, Surrey, is that the roof may have
been worked by Hugh Hereland, a protégé of the Bishop of Winchester,
who worked Westminster Hall roof in Farnham. Headley's roof is contemporary,
though probably a little older since Westminster's is earliest form of hammer-beam
whereas in Headley Church a tie-beam goes straight across from wall to wall.
A very old belief is that this roof came from a barn or other ancient building
to replace the roof destroyed by the fire of 1836.
the Ar and Back] After a fire in 1836, which destroyed
the spire and gallery, the building was very much altered and so, in many
ways, became essentially Victorian in character. However, treasures of past
centuries remain: a stained-glass window of 1260 in the north wall of the
Sanctuary; the 14th century tower, and fine heavily timbered roof; two brasses
of 1510; and some good 18th century wall monuments. But the Church merits
a separate visit, quite apart from this guided tour of the village, and a
more detailed description will be found on the book table inside. The clock
was given by Sir Robert Wright of Headley Park in memory of his son, Evan
Stanley, who died in 1900 at the age of six. The initials of parents and child
and the date are in the four corners. There is a Bench Mark cut in the south-east
buttress low down; this is a surveyor's sign of an arrow and a number, showing
the height above sea level – 314ft in this case.
- Farmhouse C16: Picketts Hill Farm. Brick structure,
restored and modernised. Elizabethan kitchen. 2 storeys, tiled roof. Fine
stone wall surrounding the garden. Old wooden hop shovel found during alterations.
[Ref 68] It was the Home Farm for Headley Park estate.
Shovel found in a sack marked 1815.
- Cottage C16: Appletree Cottage. 2 storeys. Roughly coursed ironstone with
red brick dressings. Ridge tiled roof. Square lattice windows. Two simple
cottage doors. Originally three cottages. Dated 1590.
[Ref 9] Dated 1590 over door to right. Original windows
all replaced with metal leaded casements; 3 upper windows to right slightly
breaking through the line of the eaves; ridge tiled roof hipped to left (and
planned extension will add hipped roof to right to balance); 2 simple cottage
doors, that to left having gabled boarded porch, that to right a flat hood
on brackets; square chimneys at each end.
the Ar and Back] Just off the High Street, a hundred
yards down the lane but still in the Conservation Area, is another sixteenth
century timber-framed building. It also, in the first half of this century,
was home to three families. Successive owners have lovingly restored and improved
it, the most recent addition being an integral garage with bedroom above under
a full gabled roof. There is a wide-spread oral tradition
that houses like these were constructed of "ship's timbers". Historians explain
that this does not always mean timbers from ships that have been broken up,
but wood from forests that were planted to provide timber for ships when needed.
Evidently the surplus was used for houses. The Alice Holt only four miles
away was one such forest. Certainly the timber in this house and nearby Suters
is not re-used wood, but was cut specifically for the purpose.
- Farmhouse C16: Tulls, formerly Chase Farm, Tulls Lane,
Standford. 2 storeys. Small coursed stone blocks. Ridge tiled roof. Plain
wood casements. Tile-hung gable towards road. Formerly two cottages.
[Ref 39] Casements on ground floor under segmented
lintels; ridge tiled roof hipped to left, half-hipped to right. Simple boarded
door and gabled porch. Stands at right angles with tile-hung gable towards
road. Stone dates building as 1767, but structure probably C16 - date refers
to joining of cottages into one dwelling. (Granary 3 metres north of Tulls
is also in Joyce Stevens' list of Listed Buildings)
- Farmhouse & Cottage C16: Bayfields Farm, Frensham Lane. 2 storeys. Stone
structure. Tiled roof. Beams made from ships timbers. Until 1968 water was
pumped from well under lounge floor. Former oast house (with some wattle and
daub walls) converted into gardener's cottage.
[Ref 82] Main part built 450 years ago (written 1975).
Once the main farmhouse in the area. The sound of the water pump (until 1968)
was said to resemble a heart beat.
- Cottage C16: Overton Cottage, Arford. 2 storeys. Timber-framed with brick
infilling. Thatched roof. 3 dormer windows. Interior walls of wattle and daub.
Bread oven and inglenook.
[Ref 59] Long, low irregular cottage, part dating
from 1580. Stack in centre. Weather boarding at north end. Wooden casement
windows on ground floor. Floors of flagstones on soil. When a wooden-barred
window was reclaimed, fragments of sacking used in place of glass were still
the Ar and Back] Up the lane behind The Crown is
one of the very few thatched cottages in the parish. It is a timber-framed
building of the sixteenth century, the south gable hung with fish-scale tiles
and the chimney in the centre. Some years ago when a wooden-barred window
was uncovered, sacking instead of glass was found. There is galleting, and
weather-boarding at the north end. It is named from the family who lived there
at the beginning of the century, the last of whom, an elderly widow, took
snuff which left brown stains on her white apron. Mrs Overton died in 1921.
- Farmhouse & Barn C16/17: Hatch House Farm, Headley Road, Lindford. Restored
and enlarged. 2 storeys. Timber-framed with coursed and random stone infilling.
Old half-hipped tiled roof. Modern lattice casements and French windows. Large
stone barn converted into dwelling.
[Ref 33] Barn adjoining house at right-angles is
converted into a hall with a gallery at one end. Original farmyard is laid
out as a terraced garden.
- Farmhouse C16/17: Huntingford Cottage, Smithy Lane.
2 storeys. Partly exposed timber-framing. High-pitched tiled roof. Plain wood
casements. Short projecting gabled wing. Small gabled porch.
[Ref 3] Square timber framing partly exposed in front
and at side. The random stone plinth is buttressed at corner to left. One
of the farm buildings is used as a forge by Mr EJ Collins (1975). There has
been a blacksmith there for well over 60 years to my personal knowledge.
[Not to be confused with Huntingford Farm
(Ref 19) which is nearer Linsted]
- Cottage C17: Riverside, Standford. 2 storeys. Coursed stone walls. Tiled
roof. Half-hipped gables. Front facade probably of later date, with two bay
windows and two casements. Reputed to be formerly the Red Lion inn.
[Ref 60] L-shaped. Central chimney stack. Pentice
at back. Half-hipped gables. Tile-hanging in unusual pattern for this village.
Coursed stone walls–ragstone quarried nearby at the back of Tulls. Front of
house quite different from the rest–appears to be a façade added at
a much later date, with 2 bay windows and 2 casements with pediments breaking
the roof. Mr John Warren told me that this was formerly the Red
Lion Inn, which stood directly opposite the Robin Hood and Little John,
now pulled down.
- Barn C17: Riverside, Standford. Coursed stone structure. Ridge tiled roof.
Square wooden window frames. Remains of thatch visible under tiles. Once a
wheelwright's workshop – thick stone walls at gate are all that remains of
[Ref 60] Inside under the tiles appears to be the
remains of thatch. Wooden ends.
- Cottage C17: Rooks Cottage, Churt Road. 2 storeys. Stone structure. Tiled
roof. Wood-framed diamond-paned casements. Long pentice roof at rear.
[Ref 84] Very attractive well-kept cottage. Copious
galletting. Date 1620 over door.
- Cottage C17: Barford Stream Cottage, Churt Road. 2 storeys. Timber-framed
with limewashed brick and plaster infilling. Ridge tiled roof. Square paned
sliding casements. Tile-hung side gable.
[Ref 6] 3 storeys. Side gable towards road is tile-hung
on first floor. Modern lean-to addition at far end.
- Farmhouse & Oast Barn C17/18: Weyhouse, Headley Mill. 2 storeys. Coursed
and random stone on ground floor, tile hung above. Tiled roof. Square-paned
wooden casements. Modern gabled additions. Oast Barn to south.
[Ref 35] Restored and enlarged farmhouse. Short ridge
to left, half-hipped gable to right. Galletting in mortar between stones.
[Notes from owner in 1994] c1400 original
open hall; c1500 smoke bay, first floor inserted; c1600 parlour and bedroom
above, east wall of old house brought forward, ridge realigned north-south
following fire, first brick chimney; c1650 kitchen, hall, bedroom and attic,
stone cladding to exterior, first metal windows; c1700 kitchen lean-to, outshot
shed on north side; c1800 north outshot demolished, two storey building added,
extensive interior remodelling, first ovolo moulded timber windows; c1900
service rooms and accommodation added to north, entrance moved to east, part
tile-hung outside, present kitchen and galleried landing created, further
- Farmhouse C17/18: Curtis Farm. Restored. 2 storeys.
Coursed stone structure with galletting decoration. Steep hipped tiled roof.
Gabled projecting wing to right, rendered and probably modern. Casement windows.
[Ref 16] Plain coupled ridgestack in centre of roof.
Stone-walled garden in front. Historical note: Said to be the home of Henry
Fauntleroy, the banker who was hanged in 1824 for forgery–two Headley farmers
went up to his execution.
- House C18: The [Old] Rectory. 3 storeys. Stone structure. Steep hipped slate
roof. Panelled parapet and narrow cornice band. Sash windows and three pedimented
dormers. Side facade of coursed ironstone with brick dressings.
[Ref 2] Sash windows in moulded exposed frames. Centre
half-glazed double doors with rectangular fanlight and Gothic tracery. The
C19 cement rendering of the front removed about 1969 exposing the original
stone. Interior modernised with central heating in 1966, when extra wing (built
by Rev J Ballantyne-Dykes in mid C19) was removed. Note: Initials and date
(S.W.M. 1680) over door of what used to be stables–now the kitchen of the
Tithe Barn next door–are thought to be William and Mary Sympson (he was rector
the Ar and Back] An early 18th century building
with a slate roof and end walls mainly of iron-stone. There is an old leaded
casement in the attic gable at the north end, an old hopper-head at the north-east
corner, and a Gothic fanlight over the French doors. It ceased being the home
of our Rector in 1986, when the Guildford Diocesan Parsonages Board sold it
on the grounds that it was too expensive to maintain and heat, and that a
house of this style was unsuitable for a modern clergyman, separating him
from his parishioners. In view of its age and importance it is surprising
that we know little of its history, but a valuation of 1783 describes it as
follows: "A very good house, consisting of two parlours and hall, a kitchen
and pantry on the ground floor; four bed-chambers, six garrets, four underground
cellars, with a brew-house, milk-house, and other convenient offices; also
of two spacious barns, a stable, cow-pens, granary, waggon-house, fuel-house,
ash-house, etc. The gardens, yard and rick-yard amount to about one and three-quarter
- Building C18: Wakefords, High Street. Formerly the Holly Bush Inn. 2 storeys.
Cream-washed brick walls. Hipped tiled roof. Sash windows. Ground floor shop
windows under flat arched brick lintels.
[Ref 8] When the Holly Bush Inn, was mentioned by
William Cobbett in his 'Rural Rides'. C18 red brick with blue headers now
(1975) cream washed. Square in plan. Centre upstairs window facing north bricked
up [apparently was always a dummy, not as result of window tax–JOS]
the Ar and Back] As with most old houses, this one
has had a varied history. It was the original Holly Bush, and also butcher
Slade's shop from the early nineteenth century. Mr Wakeford took over as butcher
in 1879, and his successors kept the name for business convenience. The end
of the wooden beam on which the Holly Bush sign hung is still visible on the
north-east corner of the building. It was this place that William Cobbett
described in 1822 on one of his Rural Rides from Greatham to Thursley:– "We
got to Headley, the sign of the Holly Bush, just at dusk, and just as it began
to rain. There was a room full of fellows in white smock frocks, drinking
and smoking and talking. I had neither eaten nor drunk since eight o'clock
in the morning; and as it was a nice little public house, I at first intended
to stay all night, an intention which I afterwards very indiscreetly gave
up." For some years now it has been a private house, and the present owners
(1992) are delving into its history, which goes back a long way further than
- House C18: Headley Grange. Built 1795. 3 storeys.
Stone structure. Tiled roof. Sash windows. One large bay with tiled pediment.
Five pedimented dormers with decorative fascia boards. Long low wing [to south]
and other adjoining additions.
[Ref 57] Three chimney stacks, two of them at ends
of main building. This house was built by the combined parishes of Headley,
Bramshott and Kingsley as a Union Workhouse, and was attacked
in 1830 by a gang of desperate labourers
led by Robert Holdaway, a wheelwright. The house ceased to be a workhouse
and was sold to private owners in 1870.
[Historical note] The house was used as a recording
studio in the early 1970s. Among tracks created here was 'Stairway to Heaven'
by Led Zeppelin (1971).
- House C18: The Old Bakery, Arford. 2 storeys with single storey extension.
Rendered walls. Hipped tiled roof. Modern wooden casement windows. Boarded
[Ref 14] Single storey extension once used as the
the Ar and Back] Originally the Post Office, it
was run as a bakery by Robert Tidey, and Josie Fisher remembers her grandfather,
in his tall white hat and apron, leaning over a huge wooden trough and kneading
the dough with his hands. It was left to prove overnight and then baked in
the big oven in the wall, long before most people were up. Every year Mr Tidey
baked a harvest loaf in the form of a sheaf and presented it to the Church.
Mr Amey followed him as the village baker, but thirty years ago the building
became a private house and was very much altered, with metal-framed windows,
cement rendering, and modern roof tiles. A face-lift, in effect, concealing
its genuine age.
- Cottage C18: Crown Cottage, Arford. 2 storeys. Stone structure. Ridge tiled
roof. Boarded door.
[Ref 62] Very much same style as Wakeford's in the
High Street, eg. arrangement of brick pattern under the eaves. Bricked-up
window also. Lower windows have flat arched lintels. I cannot trace the reason
for the little recess near the bricked-up window.
the Ar and Back] The recent (1992) incorporation
of the cottage into the premises of the Crown Inn has been most successful,
and the interesting nooks and crannies add to the charm of this typical country
- House C18: Stores House, Arford. 2 storeys. Roughcast. Hipped tiled roof
with moulded eaves. Pentice addition to left. Formerly a general store.
[Ref 13] Previously a general shop called Bellingers
- now private dwelling. 2 casements with modern square addition with flat
roof extending at rear. Centre door has panelled reveals and hood on brackets.
Sign attached to tree in front–Royal Daylight Light Company–probably dates
from about 1890.
the Ar and Back] The building is eighteenth century,
and inside there is exposed the timber framing of an even earlier dwelling.
It has had a long history as a general village shop. In 1889 two young men,
Amoore and Budd, rented it from Mr Fuggle as a grocer's, baker's and pork
butcher's. Sadly the partnership was dissolved, and within two years the business
was bankrupt owing to the failure of the hop crop. The remaining young man,
compassionately though foolishly, "allowed credit to persons in a humble station
of life" (a cowman, for example, ran up a bill for £18), while he himself
was in debt to his wholesalers. A man called Kellick took over the shop, and
in 1905 Bonham and Turner ran a barber's and newsagent's at one end of the
premises. Then in 1913 began the long reign of the Bellinger family at the
Arford Up to Date Stores, a title which caused much merriment among the Canadians
stationed here during World War II. It became a typical village store, selling
"anything from dolls' eyes to railway arches", as the old saying goes. On
the right was the cold room for meat, bacon and dairy produce; groceries were
in the main part of the shop; drapery, hardware, paraffin and various other
household goods were on the left where the garage is now. There is still a
sign on the tree to the right advertising the Royal Daylight Oil Company,
and probably dating from about 1890. Archie Bellinger had a fine tenor voice
and with his friend George Bohanna, bass, sang in the church choir for many
years, and also at concerts in the Village Hall. George was a coal merchant,
and his wife Blanche ran a little front-room shop in the house opposite The
Wheatsheaf, at the far end of Arford Road. Mrs Bellinger gave up the shop
in 1958, and after two further proprietors it ceased trading and became a
private house in the seventies. One member of the Bellinger family, Arthur,
still lives in the village (1992). This corner of Arford was the scene of
a tragedy that Mr W. Passingham still remembers vividly, although it happened
over seventy years ago, when he was a small boy. A man, whose wife had left
him and had come to live in Headley, tracked her down, and was seen arguing
with her in the road outside Lickfold's. Suddenly, he produced a gun; she
screamed and fled for safety up the path of the Corner House, but he shot
her, and she staggered across the road into the drapery department of the
Stores, where she collapsed and died. To this day Mr Passingham remembers
what a big man he was, and that he had a green bicycle, with a double cross-bar
for extra strength.
- House C18: Bohannas, Arford. Large cellar built into hillside at ground
level. 2 storeys. Colourwashed white brick, plinth and band. Ridge tiled roof.
Lattice casement windows. Large cellar built into hillside at ground level.
Formerly an inn.
[Ref 11] Former public house, then general shop,
now a private house. Previously called 'Brookfield'. Three modern lattice
casements, centre panelled door with red brick lintel. L-shaped with part
pentice to rear. Recent small square groundfloor addition at rear. Also modern
stables addition (now garage, at left). Room over stables at one time used
for early Parish meetings–and Quaker Meeting room.
- Farmhouse C18: Tignals, Saunders Green, Frensham Lane.
2 storeys. Limewashed brick walls. Ridge tiled roof, half-hipped to right.
Triple casement windows, those on ground floor with boarded shutters.
[Ref 30] Called Holl Holt c1700. Centre half-glazed
door in moulded frame with flat hood on brackets.
[Ref 31] Tignals Barn. Small weather-boarded barn with short half-hipped ridge
- Mill C18/19: Headley Mill. 3 storeys. Coursed stone
blocks and some brickwork. Three small gabled dormers, plain metal casements
and loft entrances. Mill powered by steel breast-shot water wheel from a head
of 7.5 ft. The wheel drives four pairs of millstones measuring 4 ft in diameter
through cast iron gears. Believed to be the only water mill still in active
use in Hampshire.
[Ref 34] A long range of late C18 and early C19 date,
including the cottages to right. Reference: Mr FW Simmonds of Rowledge, near
Farnham, quoted in Canon Tudor-Jones' booklet.
- Cottage C18/19: Adjoining Headley Mill. 2 storeys. Random stone walls. Half-hipped
ridge tiled roof, with pentice to rear. Sash windows. Formerly two cottages.
- House C18/19: Yeomans Place, formerly Crabtree. 2 storeys.
Roughly coursed ironstone. Half-hipped ridge tiled roof. Victorian gabled
brick porch. Adjoining mock-Tudor house, vertical mock timber-framing with
plaster infilling. Built 1880. Now two dwellings.
[Ref 10] Part to right is C18 and built of roughly-coursed
ironstone. 3 sash windows. Centre Victorian gabled brick porch. Built around
a central chimney, a method not used after about 1650. Queen Anne windows
early C18. Sign of 3 staircases. The adjoining mock-Tudor house was added
the Ar and Back] Formerly one large house, known
as Crabtree, with extensive grounds stretching round the corner and along
the Liphook Road. The older part is eighteenth century, with brick eaves,
Queen Anne windows, and a gabled Victorian brick porch. Inside, the central
chimney breast which is characteristic of a timber-framed lobby-entrance house,
a style of building not used after about 1650, suggests a much older origin.
There are signs of three staircases. The taller house attached to the south,
and not listed, was built in mock Tudor style in 1880 by Mr Samuel Bewsher,
Bursar of St. Paul's School in London. It is said that this wing was for boys
whose parents were abroad, and no windows were put in the west wall so that
they could not overlook his garden.
- House C19: The Corner House, Arford. 2 storeys. White plaster walls, part
to left painted weatherboarding. Ridge slate roof. Sash windows. Trellis porch.
Now divided into flats.
[Ref 12] Early C19 house, formerly Collins, the builders.
Now (1975) two flats. Projecting weatherboarded builder's shop to left.
the Ar and Back] An eighteenth and early nineteenth
century house, with a slate roof and an interesting porch, the design often
used by a local builder. The wooden buildings on the left, just before the
T-Junction, have been part of a builder's yard for at least a hundred years.
At one time they were owned by Mr Henry Knight (1805–1903) who, as a boy of
ten, remembered standing outside the Royal Anchor at Liphook watching the
prisoners from the Battle of Waterloo. It was he who climbed on the roof of
the Church when it caught fire in 1836, trying to put out the flames. The
next builder was Mr Chuck, undertaker and for very many years Churchwarden.
He was followed by the Collings family, and now (1992) Robert Moodie has his
upholstery workshop there.
[Historical note: The house and buildings underwent
considerable sympathetic renovation during 1998]
- Inn: The New Inn, Sleaford. Victorian front with old timber-framed wing
to the rear. 2 storeys. Limewashed brick with stone and plaster infilling.
Hipped tiled roof. Half-glazed door with flat projecting hood.
[Ref 32] Three odd casements. Central square chimney
recently (1975) rebuilt.
[Historical note: Although still in Headley civil parish,
the New Inn was moved (along with Trottsford Farm) into Kingsley ecclesiastical
parish by the church commissioners in 1927 when Guildford diocese was created
- Farmhouse & Barn: Trottsford Farm, Picketts Hill. 2 storeys. Stone and
brick structure. Hipped tiled roof. Square-paned casement windows. Barn at
right angles to house, now joined to main farmhouse, has modern metal-framed
windows. A large cellar with interesting niches in the walls. In 1547 this
was church property.
[Ref 71] C16. A solid, square farmhouse with large
central chimney stack and an end stack. Footpath No.3, which passes through
the farm drive, leads from the parish boundary right across Headley Park to
Linsted Farm (and from there, up to the Church), and is known as Church Path.
[Historical note: Although still in Headley civil parish,
Trottsford Farm was moved into Kingsley ecclesiastical parish by the church
commissioners in 1927 when Guildford diocese was created]
- Farmbuilding: Trottsford Farm. Large, solid, stone barn, partly weatherboarded
at one end. Dated 1815 possibly after a major repair or addition.
[Ref 72] 20 metres south of Trottsford Farmhouse.
Still in use but needing repair (1975). Huge beams inside. Outside the date
1815 appears–perhaps a major repair or addition?
- Building: Corn Mill Cottage, Standford. Renovated mill and attached cottage
now forming one dwelling. Mill of coursed stone with short half-hipped ridge
tiled roof. Cottage of random stone, with weatherboarded store/garage at end
[Ref 36] Old Corn Mill, Standford. Previously listed
as Corn Mill Cottage. The subject of an article in the Haslemere Herald a
few years ago.
- Cottage: Sunnyside, Tulls Lane, Standford. 2 storeys. Stone and brick structure.
Tiled roof. Wood framed lattice windows.
[Ref 75] This group of buildings in Tulls Lane (Refs
74, 75, 76) seems to be closely connected. The Warren family surmise that
they may have been a farm (Ref 74), a barn (Ref 75) and tied cottages (Ref
76). Said to be built of Bargate stone, which was quarried from a pit higher
up Tulls Lane (see Ref 60). The beams are considered to be worth more than
the cottages put together!
- Cottage: Standford Cottage, Tulls Lane. 2 storeys with single storey extension.
Painted stone structure. Tiled roof. Off-centre double chimney.
[Ref 74] Formerly old post office and corner shop.
- Cottages (4): Gravel Cottages, Tulls Lane, Standford. 2 storeys. Stone and
brick structure. Half-hipped old tiled roof. Central chimney.
[Ref 76–see Ref 75 for further information] Nos.
1 & 2, No.3 (Meadow Cottage), No.4 and store.
- House: Eveley, Standford. 2 storeys. Stone structure. Gabled tiled roof.
Dormer window. 2-storey extension. Surrounded by beautiful landscaped gardens,
through which flows the River Wey.
[Ref 77] Once known as The Limes. The name Eveley
was brought from the large house now known as Standford Grange when the owner
moved into the smaller property. A charming dwelling of varying additions.
- Farmhouse: The Old Farmhouse, Standford. Formerly Standford Farm. Timber-framed
structure. Gable to right and left with part pentice ridge in centre containing
modern dormer and a half dormer. Old tiled roof. Modern red brick extension.
[Ref 37] Formerly Standford Farm, then Greensleeves.
Rambling old timber-framed farmhouse standing at right angles to road. Recent
addition (1975) separate building of double garage with flat roof above. Swimming
pool. Addition built in modern materials with a red brick boundary wall as
an extension to the old stone one.
- Farm Buildings: The Old Farmhouse, Standford. Two weatherboarded barns,
forming an attractive group with farmhouse and nearby house (Eveley).
[Ref 38] To south of Old Farmhouse.
- Farmhouse: Hatch Farm, Tulls Lane, Standford. 2 storeys. Stone structure
with some tile hanging and exposed timbers, believed to be old ships timber
brought from Portsmouth when Pepys was modernising the Navy (but see note
at Ref 9). Timber roof. Sash and square-paned casement
windows. C19 wing. A tributary of the River Wey flows through the cellar.
[Ref 73] A working farmhouse, a hotch-potch of styles
from C16? To C19. Some tile-hanging, and exposed timbers at back said to have
been brought from Portsmouth… L-shaped with the addition of an extra wing
about 100 years ago. Square-paned casement windows of several different shapes
and sizes, and sash windows added later. A tributary of the Wey flows through
the cellar, and trout can be caught there! Owned by the Warren family since
1821. They owned the local paper mills, and there is a framed copy of their
bill-head hanging in the farmhouse. This family also built the Methodist
Church at Standford Hill more than 100 years
ago, and are still its leading supporters.
- Cottage: Nos. 1 and 2, Peters or Petars Barn, Frensham Lane. Restored and
now one dwelling. 2 storeys. Timber-framed with roughly coursed stone infilling.
Ridge tiled roof with half pentice addition to left. Square lattice windows.
Old chimney with plain coupled stacks. Mud and wattle structure visible internally.
[Ref 61] Peters Barn, formerly included as Nos. 1
& 2. Restored cottages, now one dwelling. Exposed timber work including
some stout curved bracing. Mud and wattle structure visible internally that
formed part of old roof. I consider that the name of this property should
be spelt PETAR since
the Misses Petar owned all the land round here at the end of the 19th century.
Note added from occupants 2009: The house was originally
a hall house of two bays, plus a smoke bay, built around 1550. Later in the
same century it was extended, with back-to-back fireplaces built where the
smoke bay had been. In the original part, the floor to the first floor was
possibly inserted later, maybe at the same time as the extension, the hall
having originally been open to the roof. Of course, over the years many further
changes have been made, and it may now be impossible to determine, for example,
where the original staircase was - the present one being mid-20th century.
- Cottage: No. 3, Peters or Petars Barn Cottage, Frensham Lane. 2 storeys.
Timber-framed with brick, stone and plaster infilling. Thatched roof. Modern
lattice casements and centre boarded door. Possibly C16.
[Ref 18] Practically rebuilt recently (1975) after
years of neglect. Not previously thatched, but tiled. First floor has half
dormer and small casement to right. Thatched roof brought down as pentice
[Now renamed Winters Barn Cottage – 1999]
- Cottages (3): Headley Park. Unusual group; one a converted oast house and
one built in the C19. The oldest cottage has blocked up church windows on
two walls. Traditionally believed to be private chapel of the original Headley
Park House, or it could be merely a Victorian Gothic folly.
[Ref 70] Oral tradition has it
that this was the private chapel of the original Headley Park House [Heath
House?] which stood behind the cedar trees beyond the cottage gardens–but
the Rev Mr Huband, a connection by marriage to the MacAndrew family, was sure
that it was only a Victorian folly and was not genuine. This little settlement
in the heart of Headley Park at one time also had a mill and a laundry, but
the laundry was burnt down and a new bungalow erected in its place. A large
barn in a poor state of repair remains (1975)
- Farmhouse C16/17: Huntingford Farm, Frensham Lane. 2 storeys. Cream washed
brick and coursed stone, with exposed light timberwork on first floor. A modern
cement-tiled roof. Replaces the original thatch which was destroyed by fire
in 1958. Plain square-paned wooden casement windows. [Ref
[Not to be confused with Huntingford Cottage
(Ref 3) which is nearer Mellow Farm]
- Farmhouse: Linstead Farm, Frensham Lane. 2 storeys. L-shaped with wide stone
plinth. Exposed timber framing with brick infilling on ground floor, fish
scale tile hanging above. Old tiled roof.
[Ref 20] Old tiled roof brought down as pentice at
side over weatherboarding and stone. A picturesque restored small farmstead.
[Note: Usual spelling is Linsted, though both forms
- Farm Building: Tulls, formerly Chase Farm, Tulls Lane. Old stone barn with
long ridge tiled roof brought down as continuation pentice in front towards
[Ref 40] To north of Tulls, formerly included as
barn north of Chase Farm. See Ref 39.
- Farm Buildings: Picketts Hill Farm. Large stone built barn with massive
internal timbers. Date 'June ye 20th 1769', beautifully carved on one of the
beams. Stone built wagon shed with stout supporting beams.
[Ref 69] The large barn is a fine structure in need
of repair (1975). It has massive timbers inside, and on one beam is carved
a date: JUNE YE 20th 1769. This is so beautifully done that it appeared likely
that it was the work of a professional. See Ref
[Note: Barn later restored, and in 1999 planning permission
sought for conversion to a dwelling]
- Farmhouse: Mellow Farm, Heath Hill near Dockenfield. 2 storeys. Exposed
timber framing with red brick infilling and wide stone base on ground floor.
First floor slightly over-hung. Ridge tiled roof, hipped to left. Casement
[Ref 4] Old farmhouse carefully restored. Modern
panelled door in moulded frame up flight of steps. Plain chimney with square
coupled stacks recently rebuilt (1975). Was called Huntingford Farm, then
Lower House Farm–name finally changed to avoid confusion with Lower House
Farm in Lindford (Joyce Stevens, 1994)
- Farm Building: Mellow Farm. Old weatherboarded barn at right angles to farmhouse,
with steep hipped tiled roof..
[Ref 23] Barn 3 metres east of Mellow Farm (and also
said to be south of the house).
- Cottage: Suters, High Street. 2 storeys. Random stone on ground floor, tile-hung
above. Long ridge tiled roof, hipped at each end. Exposed timber-framing on
side gable (towards churchyard). Sash and casement windows. Wattle and daub
walls revealed during alterations. Originally a row of three cottages. Ref:
Highways and Byways in Hampshire (pencil sketch), 1908, (Read), p.394.
[Ref 7] Previous to 1971 called The Old House and
Gowrie. Mediaeval open hall house C14? C16. Listed building Grade II*. Formerly
3, then 2, now 1 dwelling since November 1974. 2 odd cottage doors, one half-glazed,
one lattice. The house was bought by my great-grandfather, William Suter,
a paper-maker, in 1871.
the Ar and Back] Bought in 1871 by William Suter,
senior, a paper-maker from Standford. Although it has an eighteenth century
facade, it was originally a jettied Wealden Hall-house, like Bay Tree farmhouse
at the Singleton Open Air Museum. The north end, which can be seen from the
Churchyard, clearly shows its sixteenth century construction. Dendro-chronology
has dated the timber-framing as 1520, which coincides rather neatly with a
document stating that the Rector, John Fyshe, granted his Churchwardens a
piece of land on the condition that they built a new house for use of the
Church for recreation, on the payment of 5s.6d per annum. So was this an early
Church Centre? Or perhaps it was a Chaplain's house, since it agrees in dimensions
with an order given by William de Wykeham to the Prior of Merton that such
a house should consist of a hall with a chamber parted off at either end.
Each house was to be 40ft in length and 18ft in width. One thing is certain;
this house has undergone many changes, for when hard times came to the community,
it was divided into two 'tenements', as they are called in the deeds, and
then into three until well into the middle of this century. Now it is one
dwelling again, and in the course of restoration many of the original features
of the early Wealden have been revealed. The beams are massive, there are
two huge open fireplaces, and a wall painting has been discovered, consisting
of a frieze of curled acanthus leaves, and a repeat interlace design of red
briar roses and buds. Each open flower bears superimposed upon it a bird in
heraldic stance with half open wings and one raised claw.
- Building: The Stores, High Street. Rambling stone structure with barns incorporated.
Modernised and used as a shop. Owned by the Rogers family from 1870-1957.
the Ar and Back] Owned by Thomas Baker, and occupied
by John Lickfold when he moved into the village in 1827. The latter gave an
eye-witness account of the 1830 riot
to Mr Laverty some 40 years later, and was the father of Walter, who farmed
Headley Mill Farm as a tenant. Walter's sons, Fred and Jack, ran a cycle shop
at what is now the Mill Office, and then moved to Arford, and finally to the
Garage in Crabtree Lane now known as Tonard's. In 1833 the shop was sold to
Thomas Chalcraft, who left it to his wife Mary in 1860, and on her death it
passed to their son, Thomas Chalcraft, and James Eames. Thomas left to work
as a carpenter in Battersea, and James Eames moved to Kingsley. In 1865 it
was sold by auction in the Holly Bush to William Suter, senior, a paper-maker.
He let the shop to William Rogers of Farnham, who finally bought it from him
in 1895. Formerly Headley Stores, it is still thought of by old residents
as Rogers' Shop – how confusing this will be for future historians! (this
reference is to Roger Butcher now running the shop by the church gate). Mr
Rogers lived in the house next door which he called The Laburnums (now
The Bakehouse), and he had six children ranging in age from nine to twenty.
In the 1891 census he is recorded as a master baker and grocer. He used to
publish a threepenny booklet full of local information, called the Headley
and Kingsley Almanac and Directory, which also advertised all his wares:
boots and shoes, animal feeds and Spratts dog food, paraffin and all kinds
of oil lamp supplies, garden seeds, hardware and ironmongery, and an off-licence
selling the products of three local breweries. The store prospered for many
years, and his two remaining children, Len and Beattie, ran it until she died.
Then it began to go downhill, but he carried on alone, living in one room
in cold and discomfort. Finally, after the War, being persuaded to sell though
much against his will, he took out his ancient gun and killed himself. He
left his fortune (£42,000) to the one niece who had shown some concern for
him, but he had not signed his Will, nor had it witnessed, so it was shared
among all his next-of-kin, most of whom lived in Australia, with the result
that no-one received very much. The new proprietor, Biddy Bargrave-Deane,
built up a very flourishing business, noted over a wide area for its delicatessen,
and she was followed by an equally successful couple, John and Joan Lewis.
But after a series of owners it eventually failed, and became a wholesale
store and offices.
[Note: This building is now known (rather confusingly)
as Crabtree House]
- Building: Tithe Barn. Converted into house. Thick stone walls with heavy
interior beams. Long steeply pitched ridge tiled roof, hipped at each end.
Initials and date on south end of east wall – 'W.M. 1680 and S./H.S. 1812'.
Fine example of farm building converted into residential use.
[Ref 56] A splendid example of a Tithe Barn in what
was formerly the yard attached to the rectory. Extremely long and steeply
pitched ridge tiled roof. What was the entrance for wagons is now a huge picture
window. South end stable block converted into kitchen and bedrooms; main portion
a lofty spacious living/dining room with the natural stone walls and wooden
beams unspoiled. Sold by the Church in 1966 to raise money to modernise the
Rectory for a new rector. Until then, it had been used (since the end of WW2)
by the Ellis brothers of Headley Mill for storage and the sprouting of potatoes
for market gardening.
the Ar and Back] Originally used to store the tenth
of their produce that the farmers had to pay to the Rector as part of his
stipend. When payment in kind was commuted to money the barn was used for
a variety of storage until after World War II. Then John and Peter Ellis,
on their return from active service, rented it to bring on early potatoes
for their market-gardening venture on all the Glebe fields. They installed
electricity for heating and lighting, and employed many local people, for
the work was very labour intensive. This stage in the life of the old barn
probably saved it from collapse, for the huge roof was in a very bad state
and the Church could not afford the money for the necessary repairs, so the
income from letting the building was very useful. When Canon Tudor Jones retired
in 1965, after 31 years as Rector, the barn and kitchen garden behind it were
sold to raise money for the modernisation of the Rectory. The purchaser was
Godfrey Bird, an architect, who converted the barn into a most attractive
dwelling. Fortunately he kept a detailed diary of all the problems involved
in the conversion, together with before and after photographs, which he passed
on to the present owners four years later when they bought the property from
him. There is a stone let into the wall over what was the stable door, with
the date 1680 and the letters S.W.M. These are thought to be the initials
of William and Mary Sympson. He was Rector from 1673 to 1695.
- Farm Buildings: Curtis Farm. Picturesque group including two large stone
barns and range of outhouses and stabling.
[Ref 17] Barns and farm buildings to south of Curtis
Farm. See Ref 16.
- Cottage: Yeomans Cottage. Stone structure. Ridge tiled roof, half-hipped
at each end. Modern porch and cement rendered addition at back. May once have
been a granary. See also Ref 10.
[Ref 58] Owner thinks this may have been a granary
because of signs of a door once existing on the first floor. Mr H Blanchard
(aged about 80 in 1975) says his father went to school in this building. As
the village school was only a few yards away and was a church school, can
this perhaps have been a non-conformist opposition, or a Dame School, or was
the village school overcrowded?
[Note: Mrs WE Belcher wrote in 1925 "Dissenting services
were at one time held in the barn at Crabtree,
and also a dame school, the mistress being Mrs Bone, wife of a veterinary
surgeon at Birdsnest."]
- Cottage: Holme School House, Headley Green. 2 storeys. Stone structure.
Lattice windows. Tiled roof. Large extension. Part of bequest to be used to
benefit the children of the parish.
[Ref 79] This is a very good example of 'garnetting'
or 'galletting' as described by Gilbert White of Selborne. He says that the
'sand stone' or 'forest stone' came from Weavers Down and is imperishable.
Part of Dr Holme's bequest (in 1755) to the village. The Trustees now (1976)
wish to dispose of it, since the capital would be more use to them than the
small rent it has been bringing in. The Parish Council would very much like
to obtain this property because of its central position in the village, and
are at the moment investigating the possibility. The danger lies in the fact
that if the Education Committee buys it to add to the school, it might in
the future be demolished when a new school is built.
the Ar and Back] Given to the parish in 1755 by
the Rector, Dr George Holme, "for teaching and instructing twelve poor children
of either sex in reading, writing and arithmetic". Girls were also taught
sewing and knitting. Any number could attend the school, but only twelve could
benefit from the Charity; the rest had to pay: Labourers 2d, Journeymen 3d,
Tradesmen 4d, Farmers 9d per week, with a reduction for each additional child.
The house for the Master has stone walls with the characteristic galleting,
and a cat-slide roof at the back. There is a sixteenth century fireplace and
seventeenth century chimney breast and beams, indicating that it was partly
rebuilt. The last Headmaster to live there was Mr Beck, who retired in 1923,
and after that it was the home of the village policeman for several years,
then let to a succession of tenants. It is now a private house. The school
itself was enlarged in 1872 and 1893, but became redundant in 1990, and is
for sale (1992) with planning permission to convert into as many as three
dwellings. But the name of Dr Holme, Rector for forty-seven years, has been
transferred to the present village school at Openfields.
[Note: The school buildings are now (1999) sympathetically
restored and used as a salesroom and workshop for Victorian Dreams bedheads.]
- House: The Square House, Headley Green. 2 storeys. Stone structure. Slate
roof. Sash windows. Possibly early C18.
[Ref 81] (In 1976) No repairs of any kind for 30
[Note: Changed hands in 1993, and since then
has been sympathetically restored.]
- Farmhouse: Longcross Farm, Longcross Hill. Part 2 storeys, part single storey
and dormers. Limewashed stonework with exposed timber framing. Old tiled roof.
[Ref 15] Picturesque restored farmhouse. A long,
low irregular shaped building with old tiled roof and centre gable brought
down as pentice at side and in front over porch. At one time 3 cottages. Present
owners claim it is haunted by a friendly spirit.
the Ar and Back] A lovely, timber-framed sixteenth
century building, with two gabled dormers, ornamental barge boards, and a
cat-slide roof. Sixty years ago it was a dairy farm, belonging to the Gamblen
family who owned all the houses and land on this side of the road from Ivy
Bank to here. It has changed hands frequently during the past few years (1992),
and is reputedly haunted by a very benevolent spirit.
One of many properties used to billet Canadian servicemen
during WW2—read the story of the beer in
- House: Arford House. 2 storeys. Coursed square stone blocks, creamwashed.
Slate roof. Casement windows with flat lintels and 'Gothic' tracery. Stable
block converted into dwelling.
[Ref 63] Stables and various outhouses round a courtyard.
A complex of buildings, now two dwellings. The main house is square. Conservatory
across south face. In the late 19th century, Brett Harte was a visitor and
named the footpath from Arford to Longcross Hill 'The Brae'. The figurehead
of the 'Chesapeake', which was captured by the 'Shannon', was formerly on
a summer house at the top of the garden—it was a bird, perhaps an eagle, and
a portion of it was said to be part of a lamp bracket in the house. When the
'Chesapeake' was broken up, the figurehead was bought by Mr Ewsters, who was
then building (or living in) Arford House. Mr Henry Knight, who was born 27th
Nov 1805, remembered it, and told the then rector, Mr Laverty (1872–1928).
Further info on the
the Ar and Back] Dating from the early nineteenth
century, with Gothic casements and a Victorian brick porch. It was built by
William Ewsters (1760–1842), who presented the life-size paintings of Moses
and Aaron to the Church. Mr Henry Knight, the builder, told Mr Laverty that
the wooden decoration on top of the summer-house was the figurehead of the
American frigate 'Chesapeake', captured by the British in the war of 1812–15,
and that Mr Ewsters bought it when the ship was towed back to England and
broken up. (Have you heard of Chesapeake Mill at Wickham, renamed and rebuilt
by John Prior with timber he bought in 1820 from the same source?). Mrs
Ewsters was a splendid needlewoman, and made a carpet for the house. It was
she who planted the chestnut trees round the pond that used to be across the
road, north of the entrance gates. In 1886 the house was advertised by E.B.Kennedy
to let furnished for £130 p.a., unfurnished for 80 guineas. It was described
as stone built, with three sitting rooms, seven bedrooms, a garden, tennis
lawn, meadow, pine wood, 15 acres, coach house, stabling, and a five-roomed
gardener's cottage. In 1896 the tenant was Madame Van de Velde, wife of a
Belgian diplomat, and daughter of the Italian Ambassador to Berlin. She was
"tall, with perfect features, full of vivacity and charm", and was the author
of numerous books dealing with Court and Society. It was during this time
that Brett Harte (American author, 1836–1902) was a frequent visitor. By 1902
the house had been sold to the Misses Frankland and their aunt, Miss Emily
Grenside. They were the daughters of the scientist, Sir Edward Frankland.
Miss Dorothy studied the piano in Germany and later was a pupil of Oscar Béringer,
who lived at Bronte Cottage on Barley Mow Hill with his wife, the talented
writer and dramatist, and his two daughters Vera and Esmé, who became
well-known actresses. In 1906 Miss Dorothy married Major Richard Hooper and
for well over forty years they both took an active interest in the life of
the village. Her sister married Mr Woodbine Hinchcliffe of Pentlow,
who designed the War Memorial.
Arford Lodge:– Now a separate dwelling, this was once the stable and
carriage block of the main house. It is L-shaped and lower than the house,
so there are two storeys on the north and south sides, but three on the long
east side standing on the valley floor. The Nursery wing was on the top floor,
cellars were built against the hillside; the nineteenth century porch partially
masks the wide cambered arch to the carriage doorway.
In Arford House garden, opposite the Village Hall, is an unusual cypress tree.
It is one of the few deciduous conifers, turning a rich copper colour in Autumn,
and in Spring is a bright, fresh green.
- Farm Building: Tignals, Saunders Green. Small weatherboarded barn with short
half-hipped ridge tiled roof. [Ref 31]
See also Ref 30.
- Cottage: Yew Tree Cottage, Arford Common. Long low single storey stone structure.
[Ref 91] Mrs Hudson of 12 Openfields told me that
it belonged to her family who were broomsquires. Brooms were taken to market
and sold at three shillings per dozen. He was Edward Coombes, and with his
wife Harriet and children, went to live in the cottage in July 1873.
- Farmhouse: Moore House Farm, Frensham Lane. 2 storeys and attic gable window.
Timber-framed with red brick nogging. Two fine projecting chimneys at side,
of red brick with diamond pattern picked out in blue brick. Coupled stacks.
Casement windows. Wing to right of recent date. Now three dwellings.
[Ref 24] Restored. Old gable to left has stout timber
framing and red brick nogging; some modern herring-bone nogging. In the garden
in front is an old well with tiled hood. In all, three dwellings, partly in
farm outbuildings. All renovated and especially well cared for.
[Note: In 2005, all water still pumped from a well]
- Farmhouse: Wishanger Oasts, Frensham Lane. Coursed stone structure. Barn
incorporated into house. Some sash windows, some modern.
[Ref 85] Very much restored farmhouse, formerly Stream
- Cottage: Chatterton Lodge, Fullers Vale. 2 storeys. Stone and brick structure.
Tiled roof. Extension to right. Believed to have been a forester's lodge.
[Dated 1846 on the building with the '4' shown reversed]
[Ref 78] Marked and named on the Ordnance map.
- Cottage: The Old Cottage, Churt Road, Hearn. Restored. Timber-framed with
red brick infilling on ground floor, tile-hung above. Two large half dormers
with eaves, waved over ridge tiled roof. Square-paned wooden casement windows.
[Ref 29] Old centre ridge stack. Door previously
at centre now moved to north end.
- Farm Buildings: Lower Hearn, Churt Road. Picturesque group, converted and
restored. Barn to south, random stone with weatherboarding above. Modern mullioned
and transformed windows. Half-hipped tiled roof. North barn forms two dwellings
with modern dormers and modern metal casements below. Ridge tiled roof.
[Ref 28] Picturesque range of converted farm buildings,
L-shaped and standing at corner of road junction.
- Farmhouse: Lower Hearn, Churt Road. Restored structure, faced with white
plaster. 2 storeys. Hipped tiled roof. Slightly projecting flanking wings.
Modern metal casement windows. Small timbered porch. [Ref
- House: Field House, Bacon Lane. One wing timber-framed with limewashed brick
and stone infilling. Single storey and modern hipped dormers. Lattice casements.
Old tiled roof. Believed C17. New wing has mock timberwork and first floor
[Ref 25] Roughly L-shaped, one wing being genuine
old timber-framed structure.
- Farmhouse: Plaster Hill Farm, Churt Road. 2 storeys. Timber-framed, including
closely-spaced vertical strutting, with white plaster infilling. Hipped tiled
roof. Modern lattice casements. Barns to north, south and west form square
with farmhouse. Some parts of the farm allegedly date from 1580. [The
first marriage recorded in Headley church registers is in 1539 for Robert
Hardyng of 'Playstow hill']
[Ref 26] Projecting tiled porch to right.
- Cottage: Laurel Cottage, Hammer Lane. Single storey stone structure. Old
tiled roof. One of the few remaining squatters cottages, built of local materials
by members of a family who, if they had a fire burning in the hearth within
24 hours, could claim 'squatters rights' over the piece of land. Now considerably
[Ref 86] The Parish Council attempted to prevent
the drastic alterations that have taken place, but a demolition order was
made on the cottage at the request of the owners, and the District Council
sent the notice to Grayshott Parish Council instead of Headley (it is close
to the parish boundary).
- Cottage: Holly Cottage, Hammer Lane. Single storey stone structure. Old
tiled roof. Lattice windows. Now modernised.
[Ref 92] See remarks on Ref 86 above.
- Building: Barford Mill, Barford, near Churt. Old flock mill and mill house
converted into attractive house. Original mill, possibly C17, timber framed
with random stone infilling. Lattice casement windows.
Mill House C18. 2 storeys. Colourwashed brick walls. Long ridge tiled roof.
Ref: 1. White's History & Directory of Hampshire, 1859; 2. P.H.F.C., Vol
18 (Shorters "Paper Mills in Hampshire"); 3. Headley Booklet (Tudor Jones,
[Ref 5] L-shaped, the original mill building at right
angles. Exposed light timber framing. Lattice casements in oak frames. End
gable has modern chimney with coupled 'Tudor' stacks in red brick. Mill house:
4 modern casements, vertically panelled oak door. This is the more southerly
of the two remaining mills at Barford (there used to be three).
[I think there is some confusion here - the 'more southerley of the two
remaining mills' at Barford is an old corn mill first mentioned in the pipe
rolls of 1264 – JOS].
- Millhouse: Old Mill, Barford, near Churt. 3 storeys. Brick walls with galleting
between bricks. Ridge tiled roof, with stacks each end. Sash windows under
segmental lintels. Elaborate pedimented porch.
[Ref 55] Mill buildings destroyed, but mill house
remains. Galletting between bricks. Modern greenhouse type structure to left.
- Building: Bulls Hollow, Picketts Hill. Remains of lime kiln. Brick and stone
structure. Believed to be the only one left in the parish. SU 820 383
[Ref 65] Remnants of other lime kilns can be found:
a) at the top of Mill Lane; b) behind Headley Mill; c) at Hollywater crossroads;
d) at the top of Tulls Lane; e) halfway between the Old Corn Mill and Standford
farm; f) along Fullers Vale on the south side. For the most part the soil
here is acid and needed lime–presumably the chalk came from Butser Hill?
- Bridge: Huntingford Bridge. Plain stone structure consisting of two round
arches and parapet, crossing the River Wey northwest of Huntingford Cottage.
[Ref 22] 18th century.
- Bridge: Northwest of Linsted Farm. Mediaeval packhorse bridge, consisting
of a single stone arch. Parapets removed and replaced with decorative wrought
iron railings of recent origin. Stage coaches once crossed this bridge on
the way through Headley Wood to the Toll Gate opposite the New Inn at Sleaford.
[Ref 21] This road has been closed to the public
since Bridleway 47 was diverted to give the owner more privacy.
- Aqueduct: River Wey, Headley Park. Brick and stone structure possibly C17
or C18. Part of a complex system which encompasses similar aqueducts in surrounding
parishes. Thought either to serve water meadows or possibly used in conjunction
with iron works in this area.
[Ref 66] I have been advised that this is not a packhorse
bridge as some people think, but part of an irrigation system for water-meadows.
In the early 19th century the meadows were flooded to a depth of perhaps only
an inch by a system of ditches, hatches and aqueducts like this one. Mr John
Ellis of Headley Mill, who gave me this information, described the system
in his own water meadows, and explained that several crops of grass in one
season were obtained by this method. Mrs P Barnard of Picketts Hill Farm told
me that old country people used to call these 'watering horses'!
- Memorial: Adjacent All Saints Church. War Memorial (1914-19). Two pillars
linked by concave wall, surmounted by a cross. "To the eternal honour of Headley’s
gallant dead 1914–1919 – Six hundred and nineteen also served" Contains three
bronze tablets bearing ninety-six names:–
C W Adams / J H Allden / A T Allen / W J Amor / W P
Berry / H Betteridge / H Blackman / S Blake / E K Budd / H Budd / W Budd /
G W Bullock / J Caine / W J Caine / B Cannon / H E Chandler / W A Chisnall
/ G Christie / W Cole / H Coombes / C Curtis / G Dalton / H R Denney / T J
Denyer / W Dowler / F Duke / C Earl / J Earl / T Earl / F G Elkins / F Fisher
/ F E Fullick / A A Gamblen / A H Gardiner / W Gardiner / W Gates / F Glaysher
/ S Glaysher / W H Godsmark / H E Goodyear / S Gordon / H E Hack / E S J Harris
/ Viscount Hawarden / E Hayter / H Hurlock / W J Hurlock / F C Kemball / F
Kemp / A Kent / A Larby / A Mackenzie / M Mackenzie / R Mahoney / A C Marshall
/ W G Marshall / G Mason / J Matthews / C A W McAndrew / F Mileham / C J Moss
/ E T Munday / A T Munden / H Newland / W J North / G V Osborne / J P Phillimore
/ J L Platt / L V Quennell / R Ramsden / E J Read / A W Reid / A H Rogers
/ H E Rogers / W D Rustell / J M E Shepherd / W Shrubb / E A Silvester / F
Stacey / G Stacey / E Stokes-Roberts / P L Sulman / J S Swan / G Symons /
J Ticknor / A Trigg / W J Tuckey / C A Turner / B J Viney / P G Viney / J
White / F H Whiting / S H Wilson / A C Windibank / R J Wishart / A Woodger—[missing,
died as a PoW] W Holdaway
[Ref 98] Designed by Woodbine Hinchcliffe Esq of
Pentlow and unveiled by Maj Gen WV Brownlow CB of Eveley (now Standford Grange)
on 4th July 1920.
Names of those lost in the 1939–1945 conflict were added to the memorial in
L W Able / T R Alston / J E Atkins / D J Barlow / C
E Blanks / W T Boyce / A S Briggs / R W H Carter / A E Caswell / L W Chandler
/ C V Crowther-Smith / A E Dopson / A G Dorrington / P L Dudgeon / A Dunford
/ S W Fisher / F A C Fullick / B R Fyfield / R W Gale / J A Hall / R L Horniblow
/ W H James / C W J Johnson / R W Johnstone / J M Knowles / J A McCaughan
/ C P Mortimer / P Murphy / A J Norman / W T Norris / T P R O’Brien / W W
Parkin / J R Phillips / G E Preston / W R Rickards / J R M Shepherd / H C
Simms / R P W Stevens / F J Stewart / A E W Thomas / E H C Tubb / J H Tucker
/ H C P Turney / W Wilkinson / H G Williams / A G B Wilson / J E G Woodward
/ P W Wrighting
- Gravestone: All Saints Churchyard. Designed by sculptor J. Reid in memory
of Alida, Lady Brittain and Sir Harry Brittain, founder of The Pilgrims:–
[Ref 101] Designed by an eminent Scottish sculptor,
Mr John Reid [tall headstone–seated figure
with lyre] In treasured memory of / Alida, Lady Brittain, DBE / dearly loved
wife of Sir Harry Brittain / June 12th 1885–January 5th 1943 / and of / Sir
Harry Brittain, KBE, CMG, DL, LLD / December 24th 1873–July 9th 1974 / in
his 101st year / Their friends were world wide [at foot is a bird bath decorated
in Greek style]
- Memorial Book: All Saints Church. Desk made of Hampshire oak containing
book, bound in blue leather, resting on blue Italian velvet. Dedicated to
forty-eight men who died in the Second World War.
[Ref 99] The desk was made of Hampshire oak by H
Barnsley of Froxfield, the distinguished craftsman who made a presentation
casket for King George VI and special chairs for Westminster Abbey. The book
is exquisitely scribed by Graily Hewitt of Liss and illuminated by Ida Henstock
of Petersfield. Each page is devoted to one man and is displayed twice a year.
- Window: All Saints Church. Magnificent C13 stained glass, representing the
martyrdom of a saint. Bears marked resemblance to the world-famous glass in
Chartres Cathedral. Removed for safe keeping during the Second World War and
now protected by plate glass.
[Ref 96] Dating from about 1260. Ref: PM Johnston
- Village Pound (Site): Corner of Crabtree Gardens, Liphook Road. Two sides
of walls remain. On them is a plaque, which reads: 'This wall was part of
the Headley Village Pound, erected probably in the C17 and demolished in 1929'.
[Ref 87] John Matthews (1790–1875) who lived at 'the
old shop at Hilland' was the last Pound Keeper.
- Sheepwash: Bacon Lane, Frensham. By the parish boundary at Frensham Pond
(1975). Wall by roadside intact, and the ramp over which animals scrambled
can still be traced. SU 840 402 [Ref 64]
[No longer in Headley parish, or even in Hampshire,
since the boundary with Surrey/Frensham was moved in 1991]
- Lychgate: All Saints Church. Oak gate with roof, erected to commemorate
the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II and dedicated in 1954.
[Ref 100] Work was designed and carried out entirely
by Headley men, among whom were Messrs RL Robinson, EE Nash, Ted Warner, KJ
O'Brien, J Wakeford, and H Fyfield. Overall supervision by Mr CK Johnson-Burt,
the designer of Mulberry Harbour in 1944. Inscribed on the arch above the
gate on entering are the words: "Enter into His gate with Thanksgiving," and
on leaving, "Go forth into the world in peace." A plaque on the wall reads:
"This gate built by Headley men to commemorate the Coronation of Her Majesty
Queen Elizabeth II, 2 June 1953."
- Building: Standford Mill. Present dwelling modern, but built of old materials.
Original mill burnt down in C19. Turned 'shoddy' into paper, and traditionally
believed to have been used by Portals of Laverstoke for Bank of England notes.
Ref: It Happened in Hampshire, (Beddington and Christy), p.75.
[Ref 95] The present beautiful dwelling, although
built of old materials, is completely modern. The original mill was run by
Messrs Warren, papermakers.
Following entries missing from published Hampshire Treasures
- Headley Park. Very large mansion, now a Hotel
[Ref 83] Probably the largest house in the parish.
Formerly the home of the Lords of the Manor of Broxhead. Built on the site
of the stables when the original house, lower down in the park (see Ref
70) was burnt down.
Sir Robert Wright lived here at the turn of the century, then the McAndrew
family, then it became a private school, then a Lithuanian Club., now a Hotel.
- The Toll House, Sleaford—demolished
[Ref 89] This tiny one storey building stood on the
edge of the A325 opposite the New Inn, Sleaford. It was overshadowed by a
large, ugly and neglected corrugated iron building, used as a house and at
one time a wayside café. When the County Council demolished the latter
after a fire, they bulldozed our Toll House 'for road widening' which has
not yet been done (1975).
[Road widening now seems to be happening–1999]
- Ludshott Court, High Street—demolished
the Ar and Back] Formerly known as Abbeydore,
it was built by the two daughters of the Rev. W.H. Laverty in 1926, in anticipation
of the time he would retire. They let it for two years, but he died on 27th
December 1928 after only a few days' illness. He had prepared and signed the
December Parish Magazine and so completed 56 years of faithful service in
Headley. His daughters with their mother moved into the new house, and after
their deaths it remained a private house until a few years ago when it was
bought by the owners of Ludshott Manor. They added an extension twice the
size of the original, turned it into a Nursing Home and gave it its present
name. [Closed in 1999, and demolished in September 2000
- Belmont House, High Street.
the Ar and Back] In his working notebook for 1888,
The Rev W.H.Laverty (Rector 1872-1928) recorded, "now being built for us on
1/4d Field, by George and Arthur King, their bricklayer Fred Gauntlett." The
house was for his wife's parents, Mr and Mrs de la Motte, but in the 1891
census it is registered as unoccupied. It was then bought by the War Department
for œ2,500 on 31st July 1903 from Robert Young, and the first Brigade Major
to live there was a Fitzclarence, grandson of William IV. His wife was a Churchill,
first cousin to the Duke of Marlborough, and he had a coachman named Morse!
He was followed by Major Butler, and Joseph Kemp and his wife were man-servant
and maid to the family, living presumably in Belmont Cottage (1906-7). During
the First World War, Captain Thackeray and his wife and son, Reg, lived at
Belmont when he was Staff Officer Musketry, first at Bordon, later for the
whole Aldershot Command. He had come from South Africa, where his uncle, Sir
Thomas Scanliss, was Prime Minister of Cape Colony, and the famous eighteenth
century hunter, Henry Hartley, was his grandfather. Capt Thackeray served
in the British South African Police during the Boer War, and was at the relief
of Mafeking. After World War II he retired to Wodehouse (in Liphook Road),
and ever since then his family has been active in church and village life,
the gift of the Pavilion on the playing fields being only one of their many
generous acts. One of the last military occupants of the house was Lt.Col
Derek Richardson, who came here in the late sixties and then settled down
in Headley on leaving the army. It has been a private house since it was sold
to the Alexanders in 1978, but one of the four WD boundary stones marked on
old maps is still standing in the bank to the right of the gate.
- The Old Post Office, Longcross Hill.
the Ar and Back] Down the hill, on the left, this
was run for many years by Mr William Gamblen, grand old man of Headley. Besides
being Postmaster, he was Parish Clerk, Sexton, Verger and a member of the
Choir for more than 60 years. There is a memorial tablet on the wall above
his seat in the choir stalls. After he died his daughter, Mrs Carter, carried
on the business. Her husband was killed in the first War and her elder son
went down in the Royal Oak in the second. After she died, the Post Office
was moved to the High Street, and this building became a hairdresser's in
- Chapel Howe, Longcross Hill.
the Ar and Back] The site of the former Congregational
Chapel, which was very active at the end of the last century and into the
first four decades of this. An extension to the original Chapel provided a
recreation room with a billiard table, and a warm welcome was given to soldiers
far from home and family. The room was also used occasionally as an extra
class-room when medical inspections were held at the School, and more space
was needed. Unfortunately it became increasingly difficult to find enough
money to pay the resident Minister and to keep the Manse and Chapel buildings
in good repair, so they were sold. For some time the Chapel was used as his
waiting-room by the local Doctor, but when he retired the Chapel was demolished.
- Longcross House, Longcross Hill.
the Ar and Back] Before World War II, this was a
very shabby building, the first floor and roof of corrugated iron. On the
western gable end the words 'Headley Restaurant' were faintly discernible.
Then for a short time the first floor was the meeting room of the Headley
Working Men's Club. The ground floor room on the roadside was a greengrocer's
shop, run by Sid Tidey and his sister, Mrs Radford. Their family formerly
owned the bakehouse near The Crown. Since conversion to a private house
it has changed hands frequently.
- The Fish Shop, Arford.
the Ar and Back] On the opposite side of the road
from The Crown, the white chalet-bungalow was a fish shop, much appreciated
to supplement the meagre rations of the forties and fifties. Subsequently
a building business was carried on here by Mr North, until it became a private
- The Crown Inn, Arford.
the Ar and Back] Possibly at one time three small
cottages under one roof? The Inn has had a long and interesting history, recorded
in detail on a document hanging on the wall in the bar. .
- Kirklands, off Arford Road.
the Ar and Back] Originally just a small cottage,
this was enlarged at considerable expense in the 1880s by Mrs Windus of the
publishing firm Chatto and Windus. She also owned Arford House, where her
son Edward lived. A later owner, Mr Rothera, built an attractive bridge in
1921 to carry his drive across the Brae footpath, but this of course was not
strong enough for the amount of traffic resulting from two more houses built
after WW2 and sharing the same drive, so it was taken down, it is said by
Gary Glitter, who bought the house but never lived in it. The most notable
owner was Sir Harry Brittain, journalist, traveller, MP and founder of the
Pilgrim's Club to foster British-American friendship. He bought the house
as a weekend retreat, but moved out of London to escape the air-raids and
settled in Headley with his wife, Dame Alida. They quickly became part of
village life, she leading a make-do-and-mend sewing group, and he walking
to the Post Office, resting on his shooting-stick to talk in a friendly way
to all and sundry. He was born at midnight on Christmas Eve 1874, and he delighted
in reading the lesson at morning service on Christmas Day. During the course
of his long life he had done this so often that he scarcely needed to glance
at the Bible, and he read for the last time in as strong a voice as ever at
the age of 99 in 1973.
- The Village Hall, Arford Road.
the Ar and Back] A most generous gift to the community
by Mr McAndrew of Headley Park. It was built in 1925, primarily so that the
Headley WI, started by his wife, should have a pleasant place in which to
meet; more convenient than the Carnival Hut, but also, of course, for the
benefit of the whole village. The site had originally been a gravel pit and,
after a few years, buttresses had to be built along the side walls. Throughout
the years it has been the centre of village life, managed by Trustees representative
of the organisations which use it. In 1983 it was modernised and enlarged
at the cost of £55,000, with a new foyer, kitchen, toilets, cloakrooms, Library
(now, sadly, closed) and an upstairs Office for the Parish Council, and the
whole building was re-roofed with clay tiles.
- The Holly Bush, High Street
the Ar and Back] No-one knows exactly when the public
house moved across to the other side of the road, but it must have been between
Cobbett's visit and 1855, when a Tithe map shows it in its current location.
The present very obviously Victorian building was probably added to an existing
very much older one. Part of this can be seen behind the porch at the north
end. There was also a blacksmith's and a turf house on this site in days gone
by. Inside, the house has undergone extensive alterations; walls have been
taken down between a series of small rooms, formerly the domestic offices
of the landlord, and the whole has been decorated and filled with Victoriana,
in keeping with the architectural style of the building. The attractive enamelled
roundels of birds in the windows have aroused much interest, but are of no
great age nor historical significance, in the expert opinion of the late Harold
Thomson of Petersfield, a stained-glass artist who examined them in 1990.
- The White House, High Street.
the Ar and Back] Of all the houses in the Street,
this one must surely have had the most chequered history. Originally a pretty
little cottage, it was doubled in size, as you can see from the different
roof levels, in the second half of the last century. It also had a wooden
extension on the south end, one of the previously described shops. At the
beginning of this century it was the home of Mr Richard Curtis, son of the
owner of the shop opposite. Then it became an army house, a Captain's quarter.
Miss Whitfield Hart was the next tenant, and she ran a private dairy business
using the wooden extension. She sold out to Unigate, and the house was converted
horizontally into two flats for their roundsmen. A subsequent owner completely
altered the exterior, replacing the eighteenth century sash windows with modern
metal casements, and removing the gabled porch. After this, the bottom floor
became three small shops in one: a boutique, a baby shop, and a proprietary
chemist's, with flat above. It then reverted to being a private house once
again, with various tenants using just the ground-floor room at the south
end for a small shop, selling ceramics, expensive stationery, and crafts of
all kinds. Finally it has settled down, under the last four owners, as a private
- The Gateway Buttery, High Street.
the Ar and Back] This name first came about after
the Second World War, when the new owners tried to establish it as a high-class
restaurant. Previously it was known as Church Gate Stores, and was a thriving
concern under the Curtis family. They sold everything a village needed, including
drapery, and several of their young lady assistants lived in. In common with
the other shops of those days, they opened at eight in the morning and closed
at seven at night, the last chore being to put up the heavy window shutters
and bolt them with long iron bars. A record from Mr Laverty's visiting book
in 1878 implies that part of this building at least was used as a school around
1830. He interviewed Ann Coombes (née Shrubb) who, as a girl of 6,
remembered looking through the classroom window there and seeing soldiers
who "came up in force" into the village after the Workhouse
riot that year. She says the schoolmaster, Mr Allfield,
"pulled the blinds down when we saw the soldiers." Just before the Second
World War the next owner ceased trading, and so the building was commandeered
and was bursting at the seams with various troops, beginning with the Pioneer
Corps and ending with Canadian Tank regiments.
Since then it has had many different owners, and been altered as many times.
To send additions/corrections/comments please contact
Return to top – Headley Home Page
This site maintained by John Owen Smith