Headley’s Past and Present in Pictures

Part 1 — High Street to Arford

Page numbers refer to those in the book Headley's Past in Pictures

p.15: All Saints’ Church in 1875 — clock added to tower in Dec 1900; lych gate added May 1954; post box added Jan 2003
p.16: All Saints’ Church covered in ivy — this was removed in 1931; tower exterior re-rendered in 1996
p.17: All Saints’ Church in 1901 from the south-east
p.18: All Saints’ Church interior in 1908 — monuments on the walls had been removed during rebuilding work in 1859 and were not replaced until 1913
p.19: View of Headley High Street looking north in the 1890s
p.22: The chestnut tree in bloom — just before the second World War on left — in 2009 on right
p.23: Headley High Street looking north, probably 1950s (see also pp.20,21)
p.24: Headley High Street looking south c. 1906—parade of shops now replaces the huts; picket fence removed; stable block opposite Holly Bush demolished in 1927 (see picture below)
p.25: Headley High Street looking south in 1927—Church Gate Stores (right) now converted into a private house
p.26: The Holly Bush and Rogers' stores in 1911—Rogers' stores now converted into offices and called Crabtree House
p.27: View of the Holly Bush, Rogers' stores and Wakeford's taken in 1931—Wakeford's is now a private house
p.28: Rogers' stores in the 1950s—taken when Leonard Rogers was about to sell to Biddie Bargrave-Deane (in 1957); Rogers lived in the house to the left
p.30: The War Memorial in 1925, designed by Woodbine Hinchcliffe and unveiled on 4th July 1920 by Major General W.D. Brownlow CB—seen (left) in its original roadside location. After suffering damage by a Canadian army vehicle during WW2 it was moved in 1945 to its present position, set 10ft further back away from the road. Names from the fallen of WW2 were added to the side plinths in Aug 1995.
p.31: Headley Church and Rectory in 1931, from the Rectory Field where the current Church Centre and Rectory now stand
p.31: The back of the old Rectory, taken in the 1920s. The extension on the left was added by Mr Ballantine Dykes (Rector 1848–1872) who said he intended to have a large family. It was taken down in 1965.
p.32: Pond in front of the Tithe Barn, c.1903.
p.33: Loading at the Tithe Barn, c.1903.
p.34: Looking down Long Cross Hill from its junction with Curtis Lane, c.1900.
p.36: Post Office in Long Cross Hill from the Chapel gate, 1908—this Post Office was purpose-built in 1904; it became a private house after the post office moved to the High Street in 1954.
p.37: Long Cross Hill showing Post Office and Congregational Chapel, c.1908—the Chapel was active until after WW2; then used as a doctor's surgery until he retired, after which it was demolished.
p.37:Long Cross House was used as a restaurant at the time of the photograph above (in 1908)—later its ground floor was a greengrocer's shop run by Sid Tidey and his sister; now it is a private house.
p.38: Chapel steps, Long Cross Hill, under construction. Frederick Oscar Parfect is the foreman on the right. The pillars and left-hand wall can still be seen today, though the steps have now been covered up
p.39: Long Cross Farm from the Chapel, c.1908.
p.42: Tidey's bakery and The Crown in Arford, 1931.
p.43: Road junction in Arford: left, Lickfold's Garage; right, Bellinger's Stores—pre-1915.The garage is now demolished and the stores is a private house.
p.44: Mrs Chuck outside Corner House at the road junction in Arford. Mr Chuck was a builder and the premises were used by similar trades until a few years ago.
p.45: Outside Eashing Cottages, Arford Road, 1924. The little girl on the left is Dolly McGhee the picture was taken the year before she started school. She remembers the photographer setting up his tripod in the road and her mother standing with him telling her to keep still.
p.46: The Wheatsheaf, c.1908. It was demolished and the site redeveloped in 2002.
p.47: Junction at bottom of Barley Mow Hill. The picture of The Wheatsheaf above was taken from a position by the white gate. The gate led to The Oaks, now redeveloped as Cranborne. The road straight ahead is The Hanger.
p.48: View over The Wheatsheaf and up Barley Mow Hill. The Wheatsheaf was demolished in 2002 and today's picture shows the rear of the development which took its place.
p.50: 'Hillside' on Barley Mow Hill, now known as 'Little Barley Mow'.
p.52: 'Arford Spring Cottage', now known as Ivy Cottage. (Today's view taken from a different angle)
p.53: Yew Tree Cottage
p.54: Laurel Cottage, Bowcott Hill, 1950s
p.55: The Pines, Headley, 1897. This has been identified as Headley Hill Road – according to Elsie Johnson it was still known as 'The Pines' in her lifetime and looked as it does in the picture.
p.56/57: Pinehurst, built 1899, later renamed Benifold. Home to the pop group Fleetwood Mac 1970-74.
p.59: Pinehurst (distant right) viewed from Hilland Farm, 1908. (Hilland Farm was demolished in the 1960s)
p.61: Grange Lane in 1908, now Liphook Road. A view from the Village Green looking down Liphook Road towards Headley Grange.
p.62: View across the Village Green and Rectory Field to the Church and Rectory in 1925. The Holme School with flagstaff is on the left.

Return to topIndex PageHeadley Home Page


This site maintained by John Owen Smith