A Glossary for Headley
To send additions/corrections/comments please contact
Please note disclaimer at end
See list of earliest record of place-names
in the Registers (from Headley 10661966 by J.S Tudor-Jones)
Also see Rent Roll of 1552 for names and variations on
names, some of which are no longer in use.
Headley Timeline Headley Home
- '200-Yards Road at Beech Hill'
- Mentioned by Rev WH Laverty in correspondence in the 1890s (see
Archives, item 26) but where is it?
- Abbeydore (named after Dore
- In the High Street between the Tithe Barn and Belmont, and built
for the Rev Wallis Hay LAVERTY in 1926 for
his retirement but he died first. Eventually extended and turned into a
Retirement Home called Ludshott Court. This closed
in 1999, and was demolished in September 2000 for redevelopment as Abbeydore
- Abbeydore Close
- The development of houses built in 2001 on the site of Abbeydore
- Alder Road
- Off Birch Road, on the north-west edge of the Heatherlands estate.
- Alma Road
- Off Carlton Road, Headley Down not to be confused
with Alma Road in Bordon
- Apple Tree Cottage
- Listed building in Mill Lane Just off the High Street,
a hundred yards down the lane but still in the Conservation Area, is another
sixteenth century timber-framed building. It also, during the first half of
the 20th century, was home to three families. Successive owners have lovingly
restored and improved it, the most recent addition being an integral garage
with bedroom above under a full gabled roof. [From To the Ar and Back
by Joyce Stevens] See Images
- Ar, River (Arford Stream)
- Local name for the stream running from Fullers Vale through Arford Has
no official name.
- Hamlet in the valley between Headley and Headley Down, its precise boundaries
are unclear Once a shopping centre of Headley, but all are now closed.
Until recently, contained two pubs: The Crown and The Wheatsheaf
(the latter closed March 2000 and was demolished March 2001)
On old maps and documents has variously been referred to as Eford, Harford
and Aford mention of Arford in Winchester
Pipe Roll of 1587.
- Arford Common
- 1. Wooded area between Beech Hill Road and Barley Mow Hill (not
a registered common as such, but land owned by Headley Parish Council);
called 'Beech Hill Common' on some maps
- 2. Roads leading to and within the area.
- Arford House
- At corner of Arford Road and Bowcott Hill Dating
from the early nineteenth century, with Gothic casements and a Victorian brick
porch. It was built by William Ewsters (1760-1842), who presented the life-size
paintings of Moses and Aaron to the Church. Mr Henry Knight, the builder mentioned
earlier, told Mr Laverty that the wooden decoration on top of the summer-house
was the figurehead of the American frigate Chesapeake, captured by the British
in the war of 1812-15, and that Mr Ewsters bought it when the ship was towed
back to England and broken up. Mrs Ewsters was a splendid needlewoman, and
made a carpet for the house. It was she who planted the chestnut trees round
the pond that used to be across the road, north of the entrance gates. In
1886 the house was advertised by E.B. Kennedy to let furnished for £130
p.a., unfurnished for 80 guineas. It was described as stone built, with three
sitting rooms, seven bedrooms, a garden, tennis lawn, meadow, pine wood, 15
acres, coach house, stabling, and a five-roomed gardener's cottage. In 1896
the tenant was Madame Van de Velde, wife of a Belgian diplomat, and daughter
of the Italian Ambassador to Berlin. She was "tall, with perfect features,
full of vivacity and charm", and was the author of numerous books dealing
with Court and Society. It was during this time that Brett Harte was a frequent
visitor. (See Brae path) By 1902 the house had been sold
to the Misses Frankland and their aunt, Miss Emily Grenside. They were the
daughters of the scientist, Sir Edward Frankland. Miss Dorothy studied the
piano in Germany and later was a pupil of Oscar Béringer, who lived
at Brontë Cottage on Barley Mow Hill with his wife, the talented writer
and dramatist, and his two daughters Vera and Esmé, who became well-known
actresses. In 1906 Miss Dorothy married Major Richard Hooper and for well
over forty years they both took an active interest in the life of the village.
Her sister married Mr Woodbine Hinchcliffe of Pentlow, who designed the War
Memorial. [From To the Ar and Back by Joyce Stevens] See
- Arford Lodge
- Currently part of Arford House see Images
of England but previously has been the name of the house now
known as Ivy Cottage, on the other side of the Ar stream.
- Arford Road
- Runs from Headley Village Green through the centre of Arford to the junction
with The Hanger.
- In Hammer Lane Now a private house split into
separate dwellings, at one time it was used as a Catholic maternity home for
unmarried mothers We are often contacted by people
who were born here and are trying to trace their mothers a useful contact
for them is the Catholic Childrens Society, 49 Russell Hill Road, Purley,
Surrey CR8 2XB Tel: 020 8668 2181 www.catholicchildrenssociety.org.uk.
- The main road through Headley and Headley Down, coming in from Lindford
up Mill Lane, past the Holly Bush, then by Crabtree Lane, Fullers Vale
and Beech Hill to leave via Grayshott Road On a map
dated 1937 it is marked as going up Bowcott Hill, Beech Hill Road and Eddeys
Lane! [do we believe this?]
- The main road across Broxhead Common from Lindford to Sleaford; forms the
west boundary of Headley civil parish at this point.
- Bacon Lane
- From Churt Road to Frensham Pond Hotel Nicholas Bacon was the owner
of Simmonstone Farm in 1618 [Ref: Olivia Cotton]
Roger Bacoun is mentioned in a Winchester Pipe Roll entry for Headley as
early as 1320
- The name of the doctors' surgery in Mill Lane, opened in 1995.
- Badgerswood Drive
- The short piece of road to the Badgerswood surgery and to 4 houses built
- Baigents Hill
- Across the road from Headley Park Hotel.
- Baigents Bridge
- Where Cradle Lane crosses the River Slea.
- Bank of England
- Public House near Broxhead, thought to have been at the Fire Station crossroads.
Rumour has it that the Army closed it down. In a bapt
reg entry for 4 Nov 1878 it is referred to as the old public house
near to Broxhead Lodge.
- Barford [Bereford]
- Mentioned in Winchester Pipe Rolls from 1252 onwards Area at the
edge of the parish where it adjoins Surrey at Churt. Once a centre of paper
making and corn milling.
- Barford Mills
- The first mention of a mill at Barford appeared in the pipe rolls of 1264.
Robert the miller was granted land out of the waste on the Churt side of the
stream. The Barford stream, then known as the Shirebrook, fed Frensham Great
Pond and was the boundary between the Surrey and Hampshire. Some 70 years
later (1343) the mill was rebuilt on the opposite side of the stream and was
therefore in a different manor, the manor of Sutton (now Bishop's Sutton).
This mill, now known as Barford Mill (see Images
of England) became the middle of three mills in close proximity
on a small stretch of the stream. The upper and lower Barford mills dating
from the 1730s were involved in papermaking. The
lower mill or old mill was situated by the bridge (see
of England). Though derelict in the 1860s it was re-equipped in the 1880s
and in 1884 the miller is said to have had 50 employees and the largest waterwheel
in Surrey! [Ref: Olivia Cotton]
- Barford Stream Cottage
- See Images
- A type of stone which was quarried locally (eg. in Passfield) and used in
many local buildings. 'Tons of great rocks were placed on roadside wasteland
and a man with a hammer would be there for weeks breaking the rocks down to
the size of tennis balls. All the local roads are based on this rock.' [John
- Bargate Stone Quarries
- There were three Bargate stone quarries in the Pasfield/Headley area: one
on the north side of Waterside lake; a second stretching from Passfield bridge
to Tulls Lane and a third, much smaller, on the land between Wey Valley Farm
and Tulls Farm, the latter being the last left in operation. The foreman of
the quarries was Mr Sam Small and he lived at Tulls Farm House. When quarrying
ceased about the late twenties, they were abandoned and the sites became overgrown,
derelict and haunts for wildlife. Good land was inexpensive and reclamation
was uneconomical. The small quarry adjoining Tulls Farm House was partly reclaimed
as grazing land, the mounds of excavated soil remain. [John
Ellis, reported in Haslemere Herald, 6 Dec 1996]
- Barley Mow Hill
- The continuation of Churt Road from Glayshers Hill down to Arford.
- See list of barns in Headley parish.
- Barracks, The
- There are at least two different sets of buildings to which this name has
been applied locally
1. Fairview Terrace at the bottom of Arford Common.
2. Buildings associated with Upper Barford Papermill
though strictly speaking these were on the Surrey side of the stream.
- The old local name for faggots of brushwood.
- Bayfields Farm
- At Prospect Hill on Frensham Lane Was made a key reference point during
the first general census in 1841 when William Bettesworth, yeoman, farmed
there. See Images
- Beacon's Farm
- Occupied by Thomas Low [Loe] in 1822 Valuation
in the area of Bacon Lane Beacon's probably a corruption
- Beech Hill
- 1. Imprecise area of high ground between Arford and Headley Down (see Headley
Hill and Stone Hill);
- 2. Part of B3002 from Glayshers Hill/Grayshott Road junction down to Fullers
Vale (not to be confused, please, with Beech Hill Road).
- Beech Hill House
- On north side of Beech Hill Road towards the top of the hill. Once
occupied by Admiral John PARISH, though I'm told this was not the reason why
the road was at that time called Parish House Bottom mere coincidence, we
- Beech Hill Road
- The present Beech Hill Road running from the Beech Hill/Eddeys Lane junction
down to Arford Road was once called Parish House Bottom however in the 1957
Electoral Register and on maps of the period, Beech Hill Road was the name
of what is now called Wilsons Road. Why
did the name move? The present road is often confused with Beech Hill by delivery
drivers, and who can blame them?
- Bellinger's Stores
- For many years a general stores at the road junction in Arford, run by the
BELLINGER family from 19131958 Now a private house called The Old Stores
- House in Headley High Street built in 1888 for Mr Laverty's parents-in-law.
It was bought by the War Department for £2,500 on 31st July 1903 from
Robert Young (marked by four WD boundary stones), and the first Brigade Major
to live there was a Fitzclarence, grandson of William IV. His wife was a Churchill,
first cousin to the Duke of Marlborough. It has been a private house since
it was sold to the Alexanders in 1978 See To the Ar
- Benham's Mead
- A field shown on a map dated 1806 between Frensham Lane and the River Wey
through which the Ar stream runs opposite The Hanger junction owned then
by Edward Benham
- Large house on the south side of Headley Hill Road, built in 1899 for Edward
Frinneby HUBBUCK and originally called Pinehurst At some undetermined
time, the house name changed from Pinehurst to Benifold. Described
in a brochure as "a 20-roomed house with eight acres of grounds," Benifold
was from 19631970 an Ecumenical House of prayer where people of all sorts
and ages were welcome. The tune known as 'Benifold' used for Charles Wesley's
hymn Glory, Love and Praise and Honour was written here. Initially
the organisation also owned Little Benifold, just across the road,
using this as a Wardens house, but it was later sold separately. Then followed
a significant culture shift, as the pop group Fleetwood Mac moved in. The
group made four albums during their time here, and it is said that on the
second floor there were until recently some paintings on the wall reminiscent
of Christine McVIEs artwork for the cover of the Kiln House album. They
eventually left for California in late 1974 to achieve world-wide success.
In the village, they are still remembered by those who were regulars down
at the Wheatsheaf.
Interview by Jim Irvine with Christine McVie in 'Mojo' magazine, July 2015:
We bought this big house in Hampshire called Benifolds.
Mick [Fleetwood], John [McVie] and Jeremy [Spencer] and the families all lived
in this strange house that used to be a vicarage. Downstairs were two huge
empty rooms, one had a grand piano in it and I used to tinker with it and
Mick would come down and say: "You ought to try and write songs."
I was gently nudged in the back. I started to try because Mick was so encouraging.
He'd go: "Wow, that's great! Let's record it!" And suddenly we had
drums on this thing that I thought was useless and it was sounding really
good. That spurred me on because I believed whatever I wrote, Mick would turn
it into something.
- see Barford.
- Bilford (Billeford, Billyford)
- Name of an area which appears in the Winchester Pipe Rolls from 1211 onwards,
the 1774 Rent-roll of Headley and other lists located at the junction
of The Hanger and Frensham Lane, but the name is not used today.
- Bilford Farm
- Mentioned in the 1822 Valuation at the junction
of The Hanger and Frensham Lane the farmhouse seems to have disappeared
- Birch Road
- One of the roads in the Heatherlands estate, built on the site of the WW2
Canadian detention camp.
- Birds Nest
- House in Frensham Lane.
- Birkenholme Close
- Off Furze Hill Road, adjoining Ludshott Common Birkenholme was
a large house, now demolished
- Bishops Sutton (manor of)
- The majority of Headley parish has for centuries been in a detached portion
of Bishops Sutton Manor. Hence it had no resident Lord of the Manor. It
also makes it substantially more difficult to find historical manorial documents
for Headley, as these are mixed up with those of the 'real' Bishops Sutton
in the county archives. See manors.
- Was a shop and coal merchant at the bottom of Barley Mow Hill now a private
house called The Old Ale House. See
- "A permanent military camp is now in the course of formation at Bordon."
[Kelly's Directory 1903]
- Boreen, The
- Once a large house now demolished for a close of houses off Wilsons Road.
- Bowcott Hill [Bowcot Hill]
- From Arford Road, by Arford House, to meet Beech Hill Road. The bottom of
Bowcott Hill is an area once known as Parfects Hollow.
- Brae Footpath ('The Brae')
- Footpath No.28, from Long Cross Hill to Arford Road This
name was given to it by the American author Brett HARTE when he stayed at
- House on The Hanger.
- Breakneck Hill
- Local name for the steep footpath, No.29, between Headley Hill Road and
- Brockford Bridge
- Over the River Wey by the water pumping
station near Headley Park
- Broxhead Common
- Between Lindford and Sleaford.
- Broxhead Farm
- On the Lindford side of Broxhead Common, in Headley civil parish.
- Broxhead House
- Hon Fitzalan FOLEY built Broxhead House; eventually became Lord FOLEY. Afterwards
it was sold to Col Ulick J. BURKE JP (see 1891 census), then to Sir David
BARBOUR (see 1901 census), then to the War Dept [WHL
pp.580 & 866].
- Broxhead (manor of)
- One of the manors in the parish of Headley
said to have been in the hands of the Brocas family ('Brocas
Head') during the period 1395 to 1506
- Bull's Hollow
- Part of Pickett's Hill, where it is a sunken lane.
- Carlton Road
- Parallel to Stonehill Road in Headley Down.
- Carnival Hut
- An old WW1 Army hut erected in 1919 on land adjacent to the Village Green,
and once housed the Headley Working Men's Club. The hut burnt down in mysterious
circumstances in the 1950s, and was never replaced the ownership of the
land is still disputed? (AD 2009) See To the Ar and
- Chapel, Congregational
- Stood in Long Cross Hill; built in 1860 with 100 'sittings', demolished
in 1947(?) See To the Ar and Back. A recreation
room (The Institute) was later added to the Chapel at the far end, and used
as a school room. The Chapel was active until after the Second World War,
when rising costs forced it to be sold. The chapel was then used as Dr Williamsons
surgery until he retired, after which the building was demolished. Now the
site of Chapel Howe.
- Chases Farm
- Mentioned in the 1822 Valuation
- Chatterton Lodge
- Behind a hedge at the end of Fullers Vale opposite the Old Shop,
and facing Beech Hill. Dated 1846 (with the '4' shown reversed)
- Chestnut Cottage, Bowcot Hill
- See Images
- Chestnut End
- Cul-de-sac at the top end of Hilland Rise.
- Chestnut Road
- Alley between Southview Road and Beech Hill, now closed off.
- Chestnut tree, The
- In the triangle at the end of the High Street; planted in September 1891
on the site of the old stocks by Frederick Wakeford, the Rector (Mr W. H.
Laverty) and the licensee of the Holly Bush at the time, Mr J Kenyon
See To the Ar and Back.
- The shop on Heatherlands was called Chingfords for so long that many
locals still refer to it by this name since then it has been M&W,
then Dillons (not the bookshop, I hasten to add) and most recently
- Church, All Saints
- The parish church Much altered after a fire in 1836 which destroyed the
spire and gallery See To the Ar and Back and description
written in 1936. The clock on the tower was given
by Sir Robert Wright of Headley Park in memory of his son, Evan Stanley, who
died in 1900 at the age of six. The initials of parents and child and the
date are in the four corners. See Images
- Church, Roman Catholic
- At the junction in Headley Fields Closed on 1st April 1994, and the site
now redeveloped as a private bungalow.
- Church, St Francis
- In Headley Down behind the garage at the junction of Grayshott Road and
Beech Hill Erected as a Community Church in 1920. See
article by Hester Whittle.
- Church, Methodist at Standford Hill
- Built in 1861, between Standford and Passfield on the B3004. There
is also another Methodist church in Lindford.
- Church Centre, The
- Off the High Street, replacing the former Church Room in Glebe Road. An
extension houses the Church Office and facilities for the disabled. Perhaps
not one of the most beautiful of buildings in the parish?
- Church Fields
- Originally fields to the west of the church, now a housing estate.
- Church Gate Stores
- Shop and Headley's post office until closed in March 2002, next to the church
gate in the High Street alternatively known as The Gateway Buttery
It has had many names and many other uses in the past Now redeveloped
into a private house with flats, the centre of Headley is left without a post
office. Named The Gateway Buttery after the
Second World War, when the new owners tried to establish it as a high-class
restaurant, and retained that name as a Spar shop and post office until these
closed for business in March 2002. Previously it was known as Church Gate
Stores, and was a thriving concern under the Curtis family. They sold
everything a village needed, including drapery, and several of their young
lady assistants lived in. In common with the other shops of those days, they
opened at eight in the morning and closed at seven at night, the last chore
being to put up the heavy window shutters and bolt them with long iron bars.
A record from Mr Laverty's visiting book in 1878 implies that part of this
building at least was used as a school around 1830. He interviewed Ann Coombes
(née Shrubb) who, as a girl of 6, remembered looking through the classroom
window there and seeing soldiers who "came up in force" into the
village after the Workhouse riot that year. She says the schoolmaster, Mr
Allfield, "pulled the blinds down when we saw the soldiers." Just
before the Second World War the next owner ceased trading, and so the building
was commandeered and was bursting at the seams with various troops, beginning
with the Pioneer Corps and ending with Canadian Tank regiments. Since then
it has had many different owners, and been altered as many times. [From To
the Ar and Back by Joyce Stevens]
- Church Lane
- Cul-de-sac off Curtis Lane. Originally part of the old footpath, No.1,
from the church to Headley Park.
- Churchill Crescent
- Off Hilland Rise It is tempting to suggest that
it was so-named because Churchill tanks were parked near here during WW2,
but we suspect this was not the reason!
- Churt Road
- The continuation of Barley Mow Hill towards Churt from its junction with
Glayshers Hill. Was called Barford Lane in 1774
- Clements Farm
- Mentioned in the 1822 Valuation -
was it near Stream Farm?
- Cook's Farm, Barford
- Mentioned in baptism entries in 1870s - but where is/was
- Corner House, Arford
- The wooden buildings and house at the road junction in Arford have been
part of a builder's yard for at least a hundred years. Now sympathetically
converted to private accommodation. See Images
- Off Crabtree Lane, the original large house, part 18th century, now known
as Yeomans Place. Formerly one large house,
known as Crabtree, with extensive grounds stretching round the corner and
along the Liphook Road. The older part is eighteenth century, with brick eaves,
Queen Anne windows, and a gabled Victorian brick porch. Inside, the central
chimney breast which is characteristic of a timber-framed lobby-entrance house,
a style of building not used after about 1650, suggests a much older origin.
There are signs of three staircases. The taller house attached to the south,
and not listed, was built in mock Tudor style in 1880 by Mr Samuel Bewsher,
Bursar of St. Paul's School in London. It is said that this wing was for boys
whose parents were abroad, and no windows were put in the west wall so that
they could not overlook his garden. [To the
Ar and Back by Joyce Stevens]
- Crab Tree Farm
- In the 1822 Valuation this
name appears to apply to land between Mill Lane and Frensham Lane.
- Crabtree Gardens
- Cul-de-sac off Liphook Road behind Yeomans Place.
- Crabtree House
- See Headley Stores and Rogers Stores.
- Crabtree Lane
- Between the High Street and Headley Village Green. Called
Hurland Lane in 1774.
- Cradle Lane
- Bridle path (BW36) from Headley Park towards Dockenfield, crossing the River
Slea at Baigents Bridge by ford and footbridge. Mr Laverty,
rector 18721928, said that the name was given because the gypsies used a
copse along it for their winter quarters, and the women gave birth to their
babies in the Spring before setting out on their Summer travelling. Before
the A325 was made from Alice Holt to Bordon (c1828), this was one of the roads
from Farnham to Headley. In
1910, Mr Lavery recorded: Cradle Lane is the lane which takes one to the north
from the back gate of Headley Park House, and is our only way across the river
at that point. Beyond the long footbridge in Cradle Lane water runs down the
road in wet weather; and at the top of the hill there is some 30 feet of deep
loam almost impassable even in dry weather.
- Crown, The
- Pub in Arford Road See To
the Ar and Back. See Images
- Curtis Close
- Fairly recent development off Curtis Lane
- Curtis Farm
- At the bend in Curtis Lane opposite its junction with Church Lane. Henry
Fauntleroy, the last man to be hanged for forgery (in 1824) lived here
at the time. See Images
of England with Barn
- Curtis Hill
- Wooded hill directly above the junction of Long Cross Hill and Arford Road.
- Curtis Lane
- From top of Long Cross Hill down to Frensham Lane. Called
Philps Lane in 1774.
- 1. The stream from Hollywater which joins the River Wey at Lindford;
- 2. That part of Bordon between Chalet Hill and Headley Mill. Now
outside Headley civil parish.
- Downsview Road
- In Headley Down between Grayshott Road and Fairview Road.
- Droxford Bridge
- Shown as the name on a map of 1776 seemingly where the track from Trottsford
Farm crosses the River Slea there is still a substantial
brick-built bridge there today.
- Dunce's (sometimes referred to as Dance's)
- Old name for an area near Headley Fields. In the 1774 Rent-roll we have:
"3 crofts of ppre called Vintners containing 8 acres at Hedley-hill, in the
south part of the Poor-house lands" the tenant was Martha DUNCE. [The
poor house in those days was thought to be near to Wakefords]
in the 1822 Valuation, Dunces Farm occupies this area.
- Dye House
- There is a mention in a Pipe Roll entry of 1588 of 'Alice Madewyck for licence
to take down and re-build the Dye House in Headley'
does anyone know where this was?
- Eashing Cottages
- A terrace of four houses built on Arford Road around 1912 as a speculative
venture by a Mr PEACHEY of Eashing Farm near Godalming.
- Eddeys Close
- Off Eddeys Lane.
- Eddeys Lane
- Joins Grayshott Road with Beech Hill now the site of Whittles
Stores and Headley Down post office was Sandy Lane (1937) renamed
after William EDDEY, the fishmonger whose shop was in the building on the
corner with Beech Hill. Shows on maps as part of a
straight-line track from Headley towards Hammer Lane and Whitmore Vale.
- Eade's Garden
- Shown as a rectangular garden area with two buildings in it on a map dated
1806, owned by William Eade, opposite the bottom of Barley Mow Hill where
The Wheatsheaf and its car park were subsequently to be located
- Elliots Farm [Aylytts in 1552; Ellyott in 1774]
- Was on the Churt Road, now the site of a new house. Before this house was
built there was a pie factory on the same site. This was next to Elliots
Cottage, part of two cottages joined, the one now named Bargate Cottage,
used to be called Kiwi Cottage. All on the same side of the road as
Plaster Hill Farm and Rooks Cottage. In 1882: Elliots Farm,
stone, brick ½ timber & thatch, 2 tenants, comprising 8 rooms, garden,
out-buildings. Later it burnt down? Almost opposite this is a large modern
house with stables. It used to be a small farm house called Rangotai
belonging to a farmer called Mr BONE. [Judy Oliver]
- Embleton Road
- Short road off Kay Crescent named after Mr EMBLETON, Headley parish clerk
- Erie Camp
- Name of the military detention centre built by the Canadians during World
War II (see All Tanked Up by John Owen Smith) and
then used by the British as a military prison until at least March 1948
civilian squatters moved in to occupy the Army huts in 1948. The huts were
gradually replaced by council houses starting June 1972. Now called Heatherlands
- Eveley [Ively, Eyeslegh, Evelee]
- Now in Standford Lane next to the old Standford Farm the original
Eveley has been renamed Standford Grange, and was described
in 1903 (Kelly's Directory) thus: 'Eveley, the residence of John Tatham Smithes
Esq, in the village of Standford, is a mansion of stone in the Gothic style'.
- Fair Lawn
- A large house on Headley Down, now demolished?
- Fairview Road
- In Headley Down, roughly parallel to Grayshott Road
- Fairview Terrace
- Block of six terrace houses built at the turn of the 19th century the west
end of Arford Common (and therefore nowhere near Fairview Road). Sometimes
disparagingly referred to locally as The Barracks, but they do indeed have
a fair view to the west. An article from the local press
on 27 Oct 1900 reported: 'Headley is troubled with a small epidemic of
diphtheria. It is confined to one row of houses, nearly newly built [Fairview
Terrace], but is sufficiently serious to compel the closing of the schools
[reopened 10th Dec] no such thing has been known before in Headley
- Farthing Fields
- Warden-controlled development off Church Fields. Original
name thought to derive from the value of the land at one time.
- Family owning Heath House (Headley Park) in the years 1618late 1600s.
Subsequently a relation, Henry Fauntleroy, living at Curtis
Farm in 1824 was hanged in London for forgery
- Fernvale Terrace
- Small unsigned cul-de-sac off Beech Hill, at the bottom almost opposite
- Field House, Bacon Lane
- See Images
- Francis, St Francis Church
- Church at Headley Down
- Frensham Lane
- Between Lindford and Frensham joins Bacon Lane just before reaching Frensham
- Frensham Great Pond
- The largest lake in southern England constructed in mediaeval times as
one of a number of fish ponds for the Bishop of Winchester once part of
the boundary of Headley parish, it was moved entirely into Surrey in 1991
site of first sea-plane trials, by Geoffery DeHavilland
- Frensham Pond Hotel
- Once the White Horse, one of the old inns
of Headley moved to Surrey in the boundary changes of 1991
- Fullers Bottom
- Old name for Fullers Vale
- Fullers Vale
- Part of B3002 from Headley Village Green to the bottom of Beech Hill 'Sand
Pits' on either side towards the head of the valley are thought to have been
a source of 'Fuller's Earth' prior to the 18th century
- Fullers Vale Pond
- Restored in 2003
- Furze Hill Road
- Winds its way up from the end of Pond Road to meet Carlton Road and Stonehill
Road Furze means gorse.
- Furze Vale Road
- Cul-de-sac off Stonehill Road
- Pieces of ironstone pressed into the mortar between bricks or stones when
building, some say just as decoration or to strengthen the structure, but
others say that it was to ward off the devil. [Joyce
- Gatehouse, Sir Thomas
- Owned Heath House (Headley Park) during the 1770s concerned himself with
the level of Rates being paid locally at the time his papers (the Gatehouse
papers) give us details of ratepayers in 1552 and 1774.
- Mentioned in 1774 as being near Washford at Lindford Chase.
- 'Gentills' first mentioned in Ludshott records in 1415, as a farmhouse with
38 acres plus woodland, annual rent 1 red rose. Gentles Copse and Gentles
Lane still exist [Liphook Calendar].
- Gentles Copse
- Acquired by the National Trust (20 acres in 1983, 35 acres in 1986 &
8 acres in 1999) situated at the Western end of Ludshott Common, the remains
of stone-faced boundary banks which kept the commoners' animals out can be
seen in places Old oaks there are said to have been
coppiced in the past (back to Roman times?) to supply wood for charcoal, needed
by the local iron industry.
- Gentles Lane
- From the junction of Beech Hill and Fullers Vale, up past High Hurlands
and towards Bramshott
- Glayshers Hill
- From the mini-roundabout at the top of Beech Hill down to Churt Road
called Maxted Hill in the 1957 Electoral Register
Martin MAXTED is next to the James GLAYSHER family
in the 1901 census the OS map of 1937 shows
it as Glaziers Hill (see below)
- Glaziers Hill
- Name for Glayshers Hill (on OS 1937 map) note that
Glaysher has also been recorded as Glazier in parish baptism records, etc
- Glebe Road
- Cul-de-sac off Crabtree Lane
- Goldchurch Estate
- Said to have been an old name for an area of Headley Down, the name once
appearing on a post box in Stonehill Road does anyone
have any further information on this? Contact
- Golden Cross
- So-named in old perambulations of the parish boundary
seems to have been situated at the bend in Liphook Road just past its junction
with Hurland Lane.
- An area near Linsted mentioned in 1774 name no longer used.
- Gorselands Close
- off Furze Hill Road in Headley Down
- Gospel Hall
- at Standford Hill, between Standford and Passfield on the B3004
- Grange Road
- Old name for Liphook Road (which goes past Headley Grange).
- Gravat [Grevat?] Lane
- Noted in 1552 as the name of a 'King's Highway' in Barford
- Gravel Cottages, Tulls Lane, Standford
- See Images
- Grayshott [Graveset, Graveselate, Graveschatte, Graveshott, Greyshott]
- Mentioned in the Winchester Pipe Rolls from 1217 Part of the civil parish
of Headley until 30 September 1902 (The ecclesiastical parish of Grayshott
split away the year before, the first Order of Council to be signed by Edward
VII in 1901, and actually extends over the county boundary into parts of Hindhead.)
Web page for historical information
- Grayshott Hall
- Described in 1882 as a small mansion erected within the past five years,
and pictured here before the extensions of 1887 which added a tower and other
features. In the 1860s it was even smaller, being then called Grayshott
Farm and described as a two-storeyed stone and brick house with small
low rooms, windows with diamond panes and doors with bolts and bars. It was
here in 1867 that Alfred TENNYSON and his family rented rooms for about a
year. Joseph WHITAKER of Palermo bought the Wishanger Estate in 1884 for one
of his sons, Alexander Ingham WHITAKER, who lived here until 1927. More
recently it has become a Health Fitness Retreat, for which Whitakers motto
in Latin over his front door seems entirely appropriate: Pax Intrantibus
on enteringSalus Exeuntibus on leaving. In Grayshott
parish since 1902.
- Grayshott Road
- Part of the B3002, often referred to by locals as the 'Grayshott straight',
running from the the mini-roundabout at the top of Beech Hill to the Grayshott
- Grimes [Grymes]
- William Grym in 1314 inherited a messuage and land from Matilda his mother
'Grimes' was applied to the house and land now called Barford Cottage and
the fields adjoining
- Hammer Lane
- Runs from near the entrance of Grayshott Hall to Barford strangely, there
seems to be no sign of a hammer pond or any such past industrial activity
along here, unlike Hammer Lanes elsewhere.
- Hanger, The
- From Arford Road to Frensham Lane
- see Hearn
- Hartfield House
- A house at the Frensham Lane end of The Hanger
Commander Stephen King-Hall lived here during WW2 he was an MP, well-known
radio commentator, and high on Hitler's most-wanted list.
- Hatch Farm
- In Standford, on Tulls Lane near to the ford not to be confused with Hatch
House Farm (see below) See Images
of England and Stable
- Hatch House Farm
- On Headley Road, Lindford, but in Headley parish
the singer Lulu once lived here with Maurice Gibb of the Bee-Gees (in the
1970s?) See Images
- Haynes [Haines]
- Mentioned in old lists of properties in the parish, but where is/was it?
- Has been spelt in a variety of ways in the past: Hallege (11th century);
Hertelegh (13th), Hedle and Hetlegh (14th), Hedley (15th), Hethle and Hethelie
(16th), Hedleigh (17th) Heathley (18th). Flora Thompson
wrote a book called Heatherley, a sequel to
Lark Rise to Candleford about her time in Grayshott (then in Headley
- Headley Common - see on map
- One of several names once used for an area associated with part of what
is now called Ludshott Common Strictly speaking, probably just that small
part which is in Headley parish, and which was given to the National Trust
by Alexander Whitaker in 1911 to celebrate the Coronation of George V.
- Headley Down
- Going east from the centres of Headley and Arford, the ground rises to an
area of heathland. This was called Headley Down on maps even as early as 1801,
and Mr LAVERTY had also proposed it in 1913, but the name was not formalised
for the area until the post office announced in March 1923 that the official
name of the Telephone Call Office which has been established on Stone Hill
will be Headley Down.
- Headley Farm
- In the 1822 Valuation this appears to cover the
Openfields/Church Lane area.
- Headley Fields
- Was known as Parish Piece, and also known as Rogers'
Lane after the surname of the long-established owner of Headley Stores
(now Crabtree House) which was at its entrance. Concrete laid at its
entrance by the Canadians during WW2 for tank movements.
- Headley Grange
- The old union workhouse of the parishes of Bramshott, Headley and Kingsley
Purpose-built in 1795, it was the scene of the famous Workhouse Riot in
November 1830 for which 7 men were transported see full
story John Owen Smith Subsequently became a private
house, and used by pop groups as a recording studio in the 1970s, among whom
Led Zeppelin famously recorded 'Stairway to Heaven' (1971) and other numbers
there other groups associated with using Headley Grange in the 1970s include:
Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, Bad Company, The Pretty Things, Ian Dury (1976) and
Clover (1977). See Images
of England. See Youtube
visit July 2014. See also Led
Zeppelin there and several other similar clips on Youtube.
- Headley Green
- Also referred to as the Village Green (see Headley Village
- Headley Hill
- Nowadays refers to an imprecise area of high ground between Arford and Headley
Down, synonymous with Beech Hill.
- Hedley-hill was also the name given to Headley High Street from medieval
times, and in a map of the 1870s it
refers to an area which is now Grayshott village.
- Headley Hill Road
- From Beech Hill Road down to Bowcott Hill Concreted in parts thanks to
the Canadian tank regiments who were here during the Second World War. According
to Hester Whittle it was going to be called I'Anson Road, after Edward I'Anson
who once owned the land that it runs across, but the name was changed at the
last minute, after she'd had stationery printed with the original name.
- Headley Mill
- Last commercially operating water mill in Hampshire The mill wheel is
breast-shot from a head of seven and a half feet and drives four pairs of
old-style stones, each nearly 4ft in diameter and 10ins thick, producing flour
and animal feeds. It is assumed that there has been a mill here since Saxon
times. Owned by J. ELLIS & Sons since 1914. See
- Headley Mill Farm
- On the B3004 opposite Headley Mill pond now called Wey House
once called Hurlebuts [?]
Up for auction in 1899 (see Brochure & Map
40 in Archives). See Images
of England and Barn
- Headley Park [see also Heath
House and Headley Park Hotel website]
- Previously the home of several eminent families [see Fauntleroy
and Gatehouse] Up for auction in Nov 1869 (see
Map 37 in Archives) The Directory of Headley in 1878 says: "Headley
Park is the property of Sir Henry KEATING, but the house was taken down many
years ago". The original house (thought to have been called Heath House)
was situated some distance to the south west of the present building. This
was built in 1884 and was, according to a newspaper article of 1904, "positioned
to view the Hindhead hills, but this is now obscured by trees." Sir Henry
KEATING was a celebrated Victorian judge, as was the next owner, Sir Robert
WRIGHT. Both resided here for nearly 20 years. Sir Robert died in August 1904,
and Charles McANDREW who owned a shipping line bought the property. (It is
said that he also looked at Sandringham at the time, but chose Headley Park
instead!) The McAndrew family left soon after the Second World War, moving
to Headley Wood [see article
by Myra Treharne] the estate subsequently became a private school,
then a club for émigré Lithuanians now it is a hotel [phone
- Headley Restaurant
- See Long Cross House.
- Headley Stores
- Often referred to as Rogers' Stores. Now called
Crabtree House and used as offices.
- Headley Village Green
- Now about half the size of its former self, according to old maps has
been used for car boot sales, fetes, carnivals, visiting fairs and general
village celebrations. In feudal times, Headley belonged
to the Manor of Bishop's Sutton, near Alresford, and this piece of land was
part of the Waste of the Manor. It is now registered as a village green, and
is the responsibility of the Parish Council. The Bargate Stone at the far
end came from a quarry at Standford, and commemorates the Jubilee of King
George V in 1935. It was unveiled by six-year-old Dennis Chiverton, who was
chosen because his birthday was nearest to the celebratory date of May 6th.
The plaque from the top of the stone was vandalised many years ago, and so
has been mounted on the wall of the Village Hall foyer. [To the Ar and
Back by Joyce Stevens]
- Headley Village Hall [see website]
- A most generous gift to the community by Mr McAndrew
of Headley Park. It was built in 1925, primarily so that the Headley WI, started
by his wife, should have a pleasant place in which to meet; more convenient
than the Carnival Hut, but also, of course, for
the benefit of the whole village. The site had originally been a gravel pit
and, after a few years, buttresses had to be built along the side walls. Throughout
the years it has been the centre of village life, managed by Trustees representative
of the organisations which use it. In 1983 it was modernised and enlarged
at the cost of £55,000, with a new foyer, kitchen, toilets, cloakrooms,
Library (now, sadly, closed) and an Office for the Parish Council, and the
whole building was re-roofed with clay tiles. [To the Ar and Back by
Joyce Stevens] Gas was supplied in its first
years by a 'gas machine' run by weights hanging from the overhang at rear
of building [Paul Buck]
- Headley Wood
- Estate in the north-west of the parish between Frensham Lane and Trottsford,
originally part of Headley Park. Up for auction
in June 1928 (see Maps 38 & 39 in Archives)
[see article by Myra Treharne]
- Headley Wood Farm
- Off Frensham Lane at Linsted the original right of
way to Trottsford ran up the drive to Headley Wood Farm and crossed the River
Wey over the fine bridge here.
- An area on the Churt Road between Headley Down and Wishanger. Has
also been spelt Hearne, Hern, Herne and shown on old maps as Harem!
- Hearn Farm
- There are two Hearn Farms shown on old maps, etc Lower Hearn Farm
of England) with Barn
at the junction of Churt Road with Smithfield Lane (known as Hearne Farm in
the Valuation of 1822) Upper Hearn Farm at
the junction of Churt Road with Spats Lane (known as Lock's Farm in the Valuation
- Hearn Vale
- Off Churt Road its continuation becomes the Shambles
Path down to the bottom of Barley Mow Hill.
- Heath Hill
- By Mellow Farm the road to Dockenfield.
- Heath House
- In the grounds of what is now Headley Park
demolished some years before the present building was constructed can still
be seen (named Headley Park) on OS
First Series maps [h3611] dated c.1870s.
- Developed on the site of Erie Camp, which had been built
by the Canadians during World War II as a military detention centre see
All Tanked Up by John Owen Smith Before that it
was open heathland, part of the Land of Nod estate.
- High Street
- Was called Hedley-hill in 1774 [Headley 1066-1966,
- Hill Land
- See below
- Old spelling was Hill Land, and still pronounced by locals as if two words!
Site of house owned by the PHILLIPS family demolished for housing estate
- Hilland Farm
- Hilland Farm was owned by the COLLINS family in the 1841 & 1851 censusesand
by the BRIDGER family in 1881 (when the farm was 140 acres, employing two
men and two boys). Walter PHILLIPS bought the estate in 1889, and extended
the house before getting married in 1894. He was Rectors Warden for 40 years,
a JP and a school manager. He died in 1937, being remembered now in the names
of Phillips Close and Phillips Crescent, built
on part of the old estate. During the Second World War and into the 1950s
the estate was owned by the THOMSON-GLOVER family. It was later sold for property
development, and the house and its outbuildings demolished.
- Hilland Rise
- Main road into Hilland estate
- Hilland Woods
- That part of the old 'Hill Land Farm' not yet built upon has now become
entirely woodland, though old photographs (c.1890) show there to have been
some open fields at that time
- Hillside Close
- Development off the north-west end of Heatherlands estate peaceful and
secluded. I lived there happily from 199298.
- Hogmoor Great Pond
- A pond on the old western boundary of Headley parish as it was before 1929
situated where the Councils recycling depot now stands in Station Road,
Bordon. Interestingly, in old documents it is written
as Ogmoor, or possibly Oxmoor, the old 'g' and 'x' looking very similar.
- Hollow Lane
- Off Curtis Lane
- Holly Bush, The
- Possibly called Vintners in 1774? [Headley 10661966, p.29] By
1822 it was called the Holly Bush, when William COBBETT visited it
during one of his Rural Rides, but we think it was
part of Wakefords on the other side of the road from the present pub
at that time. No-one knows exactly when the public
house moved across to the other side of the road, but it must have been between
Cobbett's visit and 1855, when a Tithe map shows it in its current location.
The present very obviously Victorian building was probably added to an existing
very much older one. Part of this can be seen behind the porch at the north
end. There was also a blacksmith's and a turf house on this site in days gone
by. Inside, the house has undergone extensive alterations; walls have been
taken down between a series of small rooms, formerly the domestic offices
of the landlord, and the whole has been decorated and filled with Victoriana,
in keeping with the architectural style of the building. The attractive enamelled
roundels of birds in the windows have aroused much interest, but are of no
great age nor historical significance, in the expert opinion of the late Harold
Thomson of Petersfield, a stained-glass artist who examined them in 1990.
[To the Ar and Back by Joyce Stevens]
- Holly Close
- Cul-de-sac off Grayshott Road in Headley Down
- Hamlet situated where the current civil parishes of Headley, Bramshott and
Whitehill meet, and as a result is generally forgotten by all! Legend says
that Hollywater Pond (restored by The National Trust) was thought to have
healing powers in ancient times hence Holy Water? See the Royal
- Holme School, The
- By Headley Village Green. Given
to the parish in 1755 by the Rector, Dr George Holme,
"for teaching and instructing twelve poor children of either sex in reading,
writing and arithmetic". Girls were also taught sewing and knitting. Any number
could attend the school, but only twelve could benefit from the Charity; the
rest had to pay: Labourers 2d, Journeymen 3d, Tradesmen 4d, Farmers 9d per
week, with a reduction for each additional child. The house for the Master
has stone walls with the characteristic galleting, and a cat-slide roof at
the back. There is a sixteenth century fireplace and seventeenth century chimney
breast and beams, indicating that it was partly rebuilt. The last Headmaster
to live there was Mr Beck, who retired in 1923, and after that it was the
home of the village policeman for several years, then let to a succession
of tenants. It is now a private house. The school itself was enlarged in 1872
and 1893, but the building became redundant in 1990, and was converted into
a workshop and salesroom for 'Victorian Dreams'. However the name of Dr Holme,
founder and Rector for forty-seven years, has been transferred to the present
village school at Openfields. [To the Ar and Back by Joyce Stevens]
- Home Farm
- There are two farms of this name in the 1822 Valuation
1. between Headley and Standford occupied by
Richard Knight jnr; 2. between Land of Nod and Churt Road (Red Lane) occupied
by Thomas Low [Loe].
- Honeyford Bridge
- Mentioned in the 1822 Valuation
part of Headley Wood?, or possibly a mis-spelling of Huntingford [since James
Honeyford mentioned in the 1822 Valuation is actually James Huntingford]
- Honeysuckle Lane
- Off Beech Hill, joins Kenley Road Recorded as Honeysuckle Road (1937).
- Hoppery Farm
- Mentioned in the 1822 Valuation
- Hoppery Lane
- Short section of road at the north end of Saunders Green?
or possibly an old name for Frensham Lane between Lindford and Saunders
- Horseshoe Farm
- Near Pickett's Hill Farm
- Huntingford Bridge
- At the junction of Heath Hill and Smithy Lane, near Mellow
Farm. On a piece of paper found in the church registers
we see the parish constable of Headley was 'indicted at the summer assizes
1736 the tything of Kingsley for not repairing Huntingford Bridge, the parish
of Kingsley the principal part of the said Tything, taking no notice at ye
next assizes of the said judicament being desirous to lay ye repairing of
ye said bridge upon ye parish of Hedley.' This implies
that the Heath Hill side of the river (where Mellow Farm is) was thus in the
'Tything of Kingsley' although still in the Parish of Headley see
of England alternatively they were referring to a different
bridge, possibly the one over the River Slea below Trottsford
Farm which does lead into Kingsley parish.
- Huntingford Cottage
- The old farmhouse next to Huntingford Forge. There
is today another Huntingford Farm (see below) in the parish, situated in Frensham
Lane nobody is quite sure when or why the name was transferred. Maps
of 1938 clearly show the name Huntingford Farm still applying to the buildings
here by the forge, but an earlier sale document of 1928 uses the name for
the other property. See Images
of England and Barn
- Huntingford Farm
- On Frensham Lane, near the junction with Curtis Lane
nowhere near Huntingford Bridge (see above). It was thatched until a fire
occurred in 1959. In the 1774 Rent-roll, there
is an entry for John HUNTINGFORD of: "one close called Church-field with
a tenement thereon newly erected containing 4 acres lying at Lackmore-cross
on the south part of Curtis Lane" we assume it is this building.
of England and Barn
- Huntingford Forge
- At the junction of Heath Hill and Smithy Lane, opposite Huntingford Bridge.
The COLLINS family were the blacksmiths here for many years. We are told that
at the autumn manoeuvres of 1874, Dan COLLINS shoed a horse for Prince Arthur,
Duke of Connaught. See Images
- Hurland Lane
- Today this is a lane from Liphook Road up to Gentles Lane in times past
it was the name of what is now Crabtree Lane.
- An old name for Headley Mill Farm (now Wey House)?
after the The Hurlebat (Horlebat ) family who were at Headley Mill circa 1268-1401
- Ivy Bank (demolished 25th October 2002 and redeveloped
- A pair of houses in Long Cross Hill, next door (up the hill) to the old
post office see photos on pages 35 & 36 of
Headley's Past in Pictures
- Ivy House Lane
- Track in Barford running from the junction of Churt Road and Hammer Lane
to Lampard Lane in Surrey, crossing the Barford stream by a ford. Ivy House
itself is in Surrey, close to Barford Court. The track
is said to be an old coaching road from Frensham which, presumably, continued
south towards Haslemere along Hammer Lane or Whitmore Vale.
- Kay Crescent
- Late 60s development off Glayshers Hill on the site of Windmill House
which was then owned by the KAY family I live here
now! Original heating pipes in the houses are
stainless steel and telephone cables under the road aluminium, apparently
due to lack of copper during the Suez crisis.
- Kenley Road
- In Headley Down, the continuation of Honeysuckle Lane towards Stonehill
- Kenton House
- Substantial house at the bottom of Beech Hill. Built in 1896 by Michael
John BROMLEY, owner of the Stonehill Estate, and named after the 'Kenton Arms'
in London which Mr Bromley used to run. [See WHL p.1163]
- House off Arford Road Originally just a small cottage,
it was enlarged at considerable expense in the 1880s by Mrs Windus of the
publishing firm Chatto and Windus. She also owned Arford House, where her
son Edward lived. A later owner, Mr Rothera, built an attractive bridge in
1921 to carry his drive across the Brae footpath, but
this of course was not strong enough for the amount of traffic resulting from
two more houses built after WW2 and sharing the same drive, so it was taken
down, it is said by Gary Glitter, who bought the house but never lived in
it. The most notable owner was Sir Harry Brittain, journalist, traveller,
MP and founder of the Pilgrim's Club to foster British-American friendship.
He bought the house as a weekend retreat, but moved out of London to escape
the air-raids and settled in Headley with his wife, Dame Alida. They quickly
became part of village life, she leading a make-do-and-mend sewing group,
and he walking to the Post Office, resting on his shooting-stick to talk in
a friendly way to all and sundry. He was born at midnight on Christmas Eve
1874, and he delighted in reading the lesson at morning service on Christmas
Day. During the course of his long life he had done this so often that he
scarcely needed to glance at the Bible, and he read for the last time in as
strong a voice as ever at the age of 99 in 1973.
Subsequent owners completed an enlargement and modernisation, without destroying
the original character of this old cottage with its eventful life. [To
the Ar and Back by Joyce Stevens]
- Kites, Cradle Lane
- See Images
of England [Is this in Headley? JOS]
- Knoll, The
- Cul-de-sac off Beech Hill Road (near the top end), completed in 2003. Interestingly,
as early as 1264 there is a reference to someone living 'atte Knowle' in Headley
but we believe this meant the area of the current High Street in those
- Lacyes Marsh
- Mentioned in the 1552 rent-roll probably
in the Standford/Lindford area
- Lackmore [Lachmore] Cross
- Mentioned in 1774 as being near the bottom of Curtis Lane.
- Land of Nod
- Name given to an estate lying between Headley Down and Barford. According
to the present owner, the name came about when a man called CANE (or KEYNE)
who had been excommunicated lived here, we think in the early 1700s in
the Bible, it was the land 'East of Eden' to which Cain was exiled after he
had slain Abel. There is now a Cain Farm on part of the estate.
- Langton Drive
- Off Churt Road round the back of The Mount (but don't expect to find a road
sign to that effect) where it joins the Shambles Path
- Larch Road
- In Heatherlands perversely, there is a large larch
tree in nearby Birch Road, but not one in Larch Road
- Two LICKFOLD brothers and their wives ran the garage in Arford and the single
hand-operated petrol pump next door. Eventually the brothers built a much
larger garage in Crabtree Lane (known later as Tonard's).
The building in Arford has since been demolished See To
the Ar and Back.
- Linden Road
- In Headley Down, between Stonehill Road and Kenley Road
- Lindford [Lyntford]
- Part of the original Headley parish; moved to Whitehill when that parish
was created in 1929; since 1st April 1982 a civil parish in its own right,
but still part of Headley ecclesiastic parish.
- Lindford Bridge
- Bridge carrying the B3002/B3004 over the River Southern Wey at Lindford
From the Gatehouse Papers, it is clear there was a bridge of some sort here
in 1774. In fact there is evidence of a bridge as early
as 1268, in a perambulation of Woolmer Forest at that time however no mention
of it is made in the Gatehouse Papers relating to 1552.
- Ling Crescent
- In Heatherlands ling being a type of heather
- Linsted [Linstede, Linstead, Lynstead]
- An area between Lindford and Bilford, mentioned in the Winchester Pipe Rolls
- Linsted Farm
- On Frensham Lane not far from its junction with Curtis Lane. See
of England and Barn
- Linsted Lane
- The road from Frensham Lane to Headley Wood Farm used to be a public right
of way between Headley and Sleaford, but this has since been diverted to footpaths.
- Liphook Road
- From Headley Village Green towards Passfield and Liphook.
Has been called Grange Road (on post-cards), and also Hilland Lane (in 1774
- Lithuanian Club
- see Headley Park
- Lock's Farm
- Mentioned in the 1822 Valuation
note by Mr Laverty (undated): "Headley Wood Farm Cottages, called Lock's
Farm, now pulled down" used in bapt reg
- Long Cross Farm
- A lovely, timber-framed sixteenth century building, with two gabled dormers,
ornamental barge boards, and a cat-slide roof. In the early 20th century it
was a dairy farm, belonging to the Gamblen family who owned all the houses
and land on this side of the road from Ivy Bank (now demolished and
redeveloped) above the Old Post Office to here. It has changed
hands frequently during the years, and is reputedly haunted by a very benevolent
spirit. Used as a billet by Canadian officers during the Second World War,
from whom we have an amusing story of the temporary
loss of some bottles of beer down the well. Note that,
coincidentally, there is also a Long Cross Farm shown on maps of the other
Headley near Kingsclere in Hampshire! See
- Long Cross Hill
- From Headley High Street down to Arford no-one is sure why it was given
- Long Cross House
- On the left going down Long Cross Hill The words 'Headley Restaurant'
were painted on its gable end until obliterated in the Second World War. Later,
its ground floor was a greengrocers shop run by Sid Tidey and his sister.
Up until 1981 it still had the layout as a village stores
with the double doors on the front for the horse drawn cart to back in and
load up for local deliveries. Upstairs had been used as a working men's club
this was accessed by a door opening onto a stair at the downhill end of
the building. That end of the property was subsequently cut off to allow vehicle
access to the rear and the property converted it into the house it is today.
- Lower House Farm
- There were two farms in the parish with this name: 1. in Lindford, which
still has this name; 2. near Dockenfield, now renamed Mellow
- Ludshott Common
- Acquired by The National Trust in 1907 [1908?] Surprisingly perhaps, most
of its area (including Waggoners Wells) is in
Bramshott parish very little is in Headley or Grayshott parishes (see Headley
- Ludshott Court
- See Abbeydore
- Ludshott Grove
- Cul-de-sac off Grayshott Road
- Lych Gate
- The wooden gateway at the entrance to All Saints' churchyard was erected
in 1954 to commemorate the Queen's Coronation. It was
designed by Mr C.K. Johnson-Burt, famous for the Mulberry Harbour off the
coast of Normandy in the Second World War, and was built entirely by Headley
men: H. Fyfield, E. Nash, K. O'Brien, R.L. Robinson, E. Warner and J. Wakeford.
- The parish of Headley was in (at least) three manors: Bishops Sutton, Broxhead
and Wishanger of these, Bishops Sutton manor was the most significant. The
boundary between Bishops Sutton and Broxhead Manors can be seen on the OS
First Series map of the 1870s.
- Maple Way
- In Heatherlands estate, built on the site of the WW2 Canadian detention
camp no-one can remember if it was given this name
in their memory or not, but it seems likely.
- May Close
- Cul-de-sac off Liphook Road, by the old village Police House (the latter
now in private hands and much enlarged)
- Mayews Farm
- Mentioned in the 1822 Valuation -
near Elliotts and Plaster Hill Farms?
- Maxted Hill
- In the 1957 Electoral Register, seems to have been the name for what is
now Glayshers Hill Martin
MAXTED is next to the James GLAYSHER family in the 1901 census
- Mellow Farm
- On Heath Lane near to Huntingford Bridge.
Once called Lower House Farm, but renamed Mellow Farm to avoid
confusion with the other Lower House Farm which still exists in Lindford.
(It had been called a 'mellow property' in the sales
prospectus!) See Images
of England and Barn
- Midland Farm
- In Mill Lane given its name because money for
the proprietor's business was initially borrowed from the Midland Bank.
- Mill Lane
- From the junction of the B3004 opposite Headley Mill via Wellfield Corner
(junction with Lindford Road) up to Headley High Street The part going
up to Headley is on the B3002, and used to be called Pit Lane (eg. in the
1774 Rent-roll) but there was also a Mill Lane in those days too.
- Mills, water
- There were once at least seven water mills in the Parish of Headley: three
in or near Standford (including Headley Mill, the only
one still working); one at Headley Park; and three on the Barford stream.
- Moorhouse Farm (Moor House Farm)
- On Frensham Road near to Wishanger now split into three separate residences
still has no mains water in the 21st century.
- Mount, The
- Original house and estate of houses through the archway in front of you
as you come down Glayshers Hill to meet Barley Mow Hill During
WW2, The Mount and the field behind (accessed via Langton
Drive) were requisitioned to accommodate soldiers, and we believe it was
here that the Canadian Calgary Regiment was issued with the Churchill tanks
which it later used in the ill-fated Dieppe raid.
- New Inn, The
- At Sleaford on the A325 one of the old inns of Headley. The 'new' bit
is aligned with the A325, which was the turnpike built
1826-32 the old bit behind is aligned with Picketts Hill road see
of England site re-developed, and re-named
New Inn Fields in 2003
the site is still in the civil parish of Headley, but moved into
the ecclesiastical parish of Kingsley in 1927.
- North Farm
- Mentioned in parish lists in 1552, 1665, 1705 and 1774, but
where is/was it?
- Oakhill Road
- Off Furze Vale Road
- Oak Tree Close
- On Hilland estate
- Oaks, The [see photograph in Headley's
Past in Pictures, p.49]
- House set back up a drive at bottom of Barley Mow Hill. A rectangular area
of ground is shown on a map dated 1806 as "Platts Garden, later "The
Oaks". Lord Robert CECIL M.P., became Viscount CRANBORNE in 1865 while listed
as a resident here. He later became third Marquis of Salisbury in 1868, and
then prime minister both in 1885 and again during the Boer War. Major-General
Woodbine PARISH lived here until 1890, and Archdeacon NORRIS wrote his account
of the parish church while staying here in 1903 site
re-developed 2002, and now called Cranborne. The
post-codes for Headley start here at GU35 8AA.
- Ogmoor Great Pond
- See Hogmoor Great Pond
- Old Ale House
- Once Bohannas. George Bohanna
was a coal merchant, and his wife Blanche ran a little front-room shop in
the house opposite The Wheatsheaf, at the far end of Arford Road.
[To the Ar and Back by Joyce Stevens]
- Old Bakehouse, Arford
- Originally the Post Office, it was run as a bakery
by Robert Tidey, and Josie Fisher remembers her grandfather, in his tall white
hat and apron, leaning over a huge wooden trough and kneading the dough with
his hands. It was left to prove overnight and then baked in the big oven in
the wall, long before most people were up. Every year Mr Tidey baked a harvest
loaf in the form of a sheaf and presented it to the Church. Mr Amey followed
him as the village baker, but around the 1970s the building became a private
house and was very much altered, with metal-framed windows, cement rendering,
and modern roof tiles. A face-lift, in effect, concealing its genuine age.
[To the Ar and Back by Joyce Stevens]
- Old Cottage, on corner of Spats Lane and Churt Road
- See Images
- Old Farm House, Standford Lane, Standford
- See Images
- Old Shop, Fullers Vale
- Run by Mrs PEARCE between the end of the First World War until 1956(?) when
it closed, selling its stock to Whittles Stores in
- Old Stores, Arford
- The building is eighteenth century, and inside there is exposed the timber
framing of an even earlier dwelling. It has had a long
history as a general village shop. In 1889 two young men, Amoore and Budd,
rented it from Mr Fuggle as a grocer's, baker's and pork butcher's. Sadly
the partnership was dissolved, and within two years the business was bankrupt
owing to the failure of the hop crop. The remaining young man, compassionately
though foolishly, "allowed credit to persons in a humble station of life"
(a cowman, for example, ran up a bill for £18), while he himself was
in debt to his wholesalers.
A man called Kellick took over the shop, and in 1905 Bonham and Turner ran
a barber's and newsagent's at one end of the premises. Then in 1913 began
the long reign of the Bellinger family at the Arford Up to Date Stores,
a title which caused much merriment among the Canadians stationed here during
World War 2. It became a typical village store, selling "anything from
dolls' eyes to railway arches", as the old saying goes. On the right
was the cold room for meat, bacon and dairy produce; groceries were in the
main part of the shop; drapery, hardware, paraffin and various other household
goods were on the left. There is still a sign on the tree to the right advertising
the Royal Daylight Oil Company, probably dating from about 1890.
Archie Bellinger had a fine tenor voice and with his friend George Bohanna,
bass, sang in the church choir for many years, and also at concerts in the
Village Hall. George was a coal merchant, and his wife Blanche ran a little
front-room shop in the house opposite The Wheatsheaf, at the far end
of Arford Road (see The Old Ale House). Mrs Bellinger
gave up the shop in 1958, and after two further proprietors it ceased trading
and became a private house in the seventies. [To the Ar and Back by
- Old World Cottages
- Near the bottom of Beech Hill Road possibly the Parish Houses which
gave the road its original name of Parish House Bottom.
- Opax Farm
- In Spats Lane
- Where the present Holme School is located, opposite the houses established
by Dr Elizabeth Wilks. She
initially established the Headley Public Utility Society in 1933, under the
provisions of the 1893 Industrial and Provident Societies Act, to provide
housing for the deserving poor of the parish. The sixteen houses built by
the Society at Openfields close to Curtis Lane have long since been passed
to the local authority. [Report of the Headley Public Utility Society]
- For more than sixty years members of the Headley Public
Utility Society have been caring for a substantial area of woodland on Headley
Down, known as Openlands, as a nature reserve. Located behind Stonehill, Furze
Vale and Furze Hill roads, the woodland is kept in such a way as to provide
habitats suitable for a wide variety of animals, birds and insects, as well
as providing pleasure for those walking their dogs or riding their horses.
The woodland was left in trust for the enjoyment of the people of Headley
Down by Dr Elizabeth Wilks. [Report of the Headley Public Utility Society]
- Overtons Cottage, Arford
- Up the lane behind The Crown is one of the very
few thatched cottages in the parish. It is a timber-framed building of the
sixteenth century, the south gable hung with fish-scale tiles and the chimney
in the centre. Some years ago when a wooden-barred window was uncovered, sacking
instead of glass was found. There is galleting, and weather-boarding at the
north end. It is named from the family who lived there at the beginning of
the century, the last of whom, an elderly widow, took snuff which left brown
stains on her white apron. Mrs Overton died in 1921. [To the Ar and Back
by Joyce Stevens] See Images
- Oxney Pond
- On the western boundary of the old Headley parish as it was before 1929.
- Paddock, The
- Off Crabtree Lane
- Was a significant local industry in the 18th & 19th centuries at Barford
and Standford see article
by Alan Crocker
- Parish House Bottom
- Old name for Beech Hill Road. There are some parish
houses (for the poor?) shown on the Tithe Map towards the bottom of the hill
just below its junction with Bowcot Hill probably 'Old World Cottages'
which are still there.
- Parfect's Hollow
- The bottom of Bowcott Hill is an area once known as Parfects Hollow. A
dame school was kept at Rose Cottage by a Mrs PARFECT, from which the
- Park Lane
- A wide bridleway linking Bacon Lane with Smithfield Lane Monopoly
fans will be pleased to note that there is a link between Park Lane and the
Mayfair riding school.
- Penryn Drive
- Cul-de-sac off Grayshott Road
- House on Headley Hill Road
- Perry Way
- In Hilland estate
- Peter's Barn
- House in Frensham Lane should probably be spelt Petars since the
PETAR family owned the land round here at the end of the 19th century. See
- Peter's Barn Cottage
- Opposite Peter's Barn, now renamed Winters Barn Cottage.
- Phillips Close
- Named after the family who lived in Hilland Farm before it was demolished
to make way for this development. Vehicular entry via Hilland Rise.
- Phillips Crescent
- See above. Vehicular entry to this one is via Fullers Vale. And
if you don't get confused Phillips Close and Phillips Crescent, then I do
particularly as they are both closed and neither is really a crescent.
- Picketts Hill
- Actually the name of the whole lane from Saunders Green through to the junction
with the A325 at Sleaford, but more usually taken to mean the area on the
hill around Picketts Hill Farm. See also Bulls Hollow.
- Picketts Hill Farm
- Old farm on Picketts Hill. For Barn, see Images
- New estate built on the site of the house Pilgrims, off Mill Lane
- Pine View
- In Heatherlands
- House in Headley Hill Road The original name of Benifold
- Pit Lane
- Old name for part of Mill Lane in 1774
- Plaster Hill Farm
- Old farmhouse on Churt Road called 'Luke's' on copyhold documents
for many years (from the surname Lucas?) the first
marriage recorded in the Headley parish register on 1st July 1539 was between
Robert Hardyng of 'Playstow hill' and Kateryn Woolffe. See
- Place-name used in Winchester Pipe Rolls from 1246, and in 1774 probably
Plaster Hill (see above).
- Pond Road
- There is a pond fed by springs at its junction
with the B3002 This was drained and culverted in 1973 as part of a plan
to reduce the risk of flooding in Fullers Vale and Arford
It was restored in 2003 as a Wildlife Pond
- Post Offices
- The first post office to be mentioned in Headley was in Crown Cottage, Arford.
It then moved to the building in Long Cross Hill now known as Gamblens
(once Medway) before moving yet again in the 1960s(?) to Churchgate
Stores in the High Street, which closed in 2002 leaving the centre of
Headley with no post office.
In Headley Down, the first post office was run by Mr Wilson at his shop in
what is now Wilsons Road. It moved for a short time into a hut in Carlton
Road, now demolished (there is a photo of this in Headley's Past in Pictures),
before coming to rest in Whittles Stores, Eddey's Lane.
- Pound Close
- Development in Hilland, but on the other side of the Liphook Road from the
- Pound, The
- Most villages and towns used to have a pound a walled area where stray
animals were rounded up and kept until their owners were found Headley's
was at the junction of Liphook Road with Crabtree Lane Part
of the old wall can still be seen in Liphook Road with an explanatory plaque
- Prospect Hill
- Part of Frensham Lane going up to Saunders Green
- Prospect Hill Farm
- On Frensham Lane at Saunders Green
- Public Houses (Inns)
- In his 'A Souvenir of Headley' in 1896, Mr Charles BECK wrote: 'There
are eight inns'. He does not name them, but the following were in Headley
parish at the time: The Crown (Arford), The Holly Bush (High Street), The
Wheatsheaf (Arford); The White Horse (or Frensham Pond Hotel); The New Inn
(Sleaford); The Royal Exchange (Lindford); The Robin Hood (Standford); The
Royal Oak (Hollywater). Of these, the Wheatsheaf and
the New Inn are now closed, and the Robin Hood became a restaurant (Whiteleys)
which closed in Nov 2014. There was also at one time a Red Lion (now
Riverside) in Standford and a pub called The
Bank of England near to Bordon crossroads, both long since closed
- Recreation Ground
- Usually refers to the King George V ground off Fairview Road in Headley
Down, though other recreation grounds exist in the parish
- Rectory, The
- In the High Street opposite the Old Rectory and next to the Church Centre.
This was completed in March 1992 and replaced Glebe Cottage
which was built in 1961 as a house for a Curate. [To the Ar and Back
by Joyce Stevens]
- Rectory, The Old
- The old rectory stands beside All Saints' Church. An early 18th century
building with a slate roof and end walls mainly of iron-stone. There is an
old leaded casement in the attic gable at the north end, an old hopper-head
at the north-east corner, and a Gothic fanlight over the French doors. It
ceased being the home of our Rector in 1986, when the Guildford Diocesan Parsonages
Board sold it on the grounds that it was too expensive to maintain and heat,
and that a house of this style was unsuitable for a modern clergyman, separating
him from his parishioners. In view of its age and importance
it is surprising that we know little of its history, but a valuation of 1783
describes it as follows: "A very good house, consisting of two parlours
and hall, a kitchen and pantry on the ground floor; four bed-chambers, six
garrets, four underground cellars, with a brew-house, milk-house, and other
convenient offices; also of two spacious barns, a stable, cow-pens, granary,
waggon-house, fuel-house, ash-house, etc. The gardens, yard and rick-yard
amount to about one and three-quarter acres". [To the Ar and Back
by Joyce Stevens] (The present rectory is next
to the Church Centre on the other side of the road see above.) See
- Rectory Field
- The open area between the High Street and the Village Green. For
hundreds of years this almost ten acres was part of the Rector's Glebe, ie.
his income, and was let to local farmers. Now it is in the hands of the Diocese
of Guildford, who wanted to sell it in 1987 to raise money for Clergy Stipends
and new churches. A united effort by the whole parish, and a march through
London in October of that year with a petition to the Archbishop of Canterbury,
prevented a scheme for 84 houses, garages and roads, and saved this green
heart of the village. Before the war it was the playing field and social centre,
where cricket and football were played and the flower show and fête
took place, thanks to the kindness of successive Rectors. During the war both
it and the Village Green were full of Nissen huts, with a brick-built cook-house
providing meals for all the troops stationed in the village which, for the
best part of ten years, was like an army camp. When the Army vacated the huts,
local families took them over as homes. [To the Ar and Back by Joyce
- Rectory View
- Redevelopment in 2005 of the old Tonard garage site
in Crabtree Lane
- Reynolds Farm
- In Standford on Standford Lane
- In Standford on Standford Lane. See Images
- Robin Hood, The
- Was called The New Robin Hood for a while once called the Robin
Hood & Little John in Oct 2009 it stopped being a pub, was renamed
and became a family restaurant This is not the original
building, which was nearer to the river on a site now redeveloped.
- Rogers Lane
- Now called Headley Fields.
- Rogers Stores
- Now called Crabtree House and no longer a shop. In 1908, Leonard
ROGERS inherited the shop from his father William, who had run a business
there since 1865. William ROGERS used to publish a regular threepenny booklet
called the Headley & Kingsley Almanac and Directory, full of local
information and advertisements. Some years earlier, in 1830, the stores were
run by John LICKFOLD, who gave an eye-witness account
of the agricultural riots of that year in Headley. Owned
by Thomas Baker, and occupied by John Lickfold when he moved into the village
in 1827. The latter gave an eye-witness account of the 1830 riot to Mr Laverty
some 40 years later, and was the father of Walter, who farmed Headley Mill
Farm as a tenant. Walter's sons, Fred and Jack, ran a cycle shop at what is
now the Mill Office, and then moved to Arford, and finally to the Garage in
Crabtree Lane subsequently known as Tonard's.
In 1833 the shop was sold to Thomas Chalcraft, who left it to his wife Mary
in 1860, and on her death it passed to their son, Thomas Chalcraft, and James
Eames. Thomas left to work as a carpenter in Battersea, and James Eames moved
to Kingsley. In 1865 it was sold by auction in the Holly Bush to William
Suter, senior, a paper-maker. He let the shop to William Rogers of Farnham,
who finally bought it from him in 1895. Formerly Headley Stores, it
is still thought of by old residents as Rogers' Shop.
Mr Rogers lived in the house next door which he called The Laburnums,
and he had six children ranging in age from nine to twenty. In the 1891 census
he is recorded as a master baker and grocer. He used to publish a threepenny
booklet full of local information, called the Headley and Kingsley Almanac
and Directory, which also advertised all his wares: boots and shoes, animal
feeds and Spratts dog food, paraffin and all kinds of oil lamp supplies, garden
seeds, hardware and ironmongery, and an off-licence selling the products of
three local breweries.
The store prospered for many years, and his two remaining children, Len and
Beattie, ran it until she died. Then it began to go downhill, but Len carried
on alone, living in one room in cold and discomfort. Finally, in 1957, being
persuaded to sell though much against his will, he took out his ancient gun
and killed himself. He left his fortune (£42,000) to the one niece who
had shown some concern for him, but he had not signed his Will, nor had it
witnessed, so it was shared among all his next-of-kin, most of whom lived
in Australia, with the result that no-one received very much. The new proprietor,
Biddy Bargrave-Deane, built up a flourishing business, noted over a wide area
for its delicatessen, and she was followed by an equally successful couple,
John and Joan Lewis. But after a series of owners it eventually failed, and
became a wholesale store and offices. [To the Ar and Back by Joyce
- Rook's Cottage
- On Churt Road. Rook's Cottage was described in 1882 as: 'small
occupation cottage brick/stone & tile, 8 rooms & garden. Tenant Mr
R. Parker. Total a.r.p. ie. 1 rod,20 perches. Rent £.s.p. 5.0.0. Remarks:
apportioned. Field to the right of the cottage named Rook's Field. Rook's
Cottage is bargate stone with galleting
in the mortar.' Now listed grade II. [Judy Oliver]
- Rowanside Close
- Off Furze Hill Road, adjoining Ludshott Common.
- Royal Exchange, The
- At the junction in Lindford one of the old inns of Headley now in Lindford
parish. Refurbished in 2015.
- Royal Oak, The
- In Hollywater close to the point where the three old parishes of Bramshott,
Selborne and Headley met, it is now in Whitehill parish.
- Sandy Lane
- Old name for Eddeys Lane.
- Saunders Green
- At the junction of Frensham Lane with Picketts Hill and Spats Lane (land
owned by Headley Parish Council) Referred to
in old documents as Sanders Green.
- Seymour Road (named possibly after author Beatrice
Seymour 1886-1955 who may have lived in the road?)
- The last road in Headley when travelling towards Grayshott borders Ludshott
- Shambles Path
- Old name for the bridleway (No. 25) leading up to Hearn from the bottom
of Barley Mow Hill we assume from the name that animals
were slaughtered there at one time (we believe there was a tannery near the
bottom of the path in Arford).
- [Simmondstone, Symondstone] On the county boundary with Churt Richard
Semen owned the manor of Wishanger in 1359 and his boundary stone stood on
the west side of the ford [Ref: Baker & Minchin,
Frensham Then and Now] Richard Seman mentioned in Pipe Roll
- Slea, River
- A tributary of the Wey which passes through Sleaford
confusingly, it is called the River Seal further upstream towards Selborne!
- Sleaford [Sleyford, Slayford, Slafford]
- Mentioned in Winchester Pipe Rolls from 1246 Undefined area on the A325,
including the New Inn, Sleaford Garage and one or two other houses
the parish boundary with Kingsley is marked on the west side of the old
bridge over the River Slea
- Smithfield Lane
- Runs between Churt Road and Frensham Lane, joining the latter at Moorhouse
- Smithy Lane
- Skirts the River Wey from Brockford Bridge to Frensham Lane, passing Huntingford
Bridge and the old Smithy opposite.
- Southview Road
- Runs parallel to Beech Hill, linking Eddey's Lane and Honeysuckle Lane
no through road for cars.
- Spats Lane
- Said to be named after Walter LANGRISH who lived at Tignals and used
to wear spats! links Churt Road with Frensham Lane, joining the latter at
- Stag's Dean
- Large house on Headley Down, now demolished Samuel Marshak (a Russian)
ran a 'Simple Life School' here after WW1?
- Standford [Stanford, Stamford] named after the ford
which is still there
- Mentioned in the Winchester Pipe Rolls from 1213 onwards, even before Headley
was mentioned there appears to have been a Manor of Stanford at this time
- Standford Common
- That bit of the Passfield Common/Hollywater Common area which is in Standford.
- Standford Cottage, end of Tulls Lane
- See Images
- Standford Farm
- Now called The Old Farmhouse. I'm told one of
the Led Zeppelin group lived here for a while.
- Standford Grange
- Like most local Granges it seems, this was not its original name It used
to be called Eveley, but this name was transferred in 1936 to a house
next to Standford Farm.
- Standford Hill
- That part of Standford on rising ground heading towards Passfield and Liphook
both the Standford Methodist church
and Gospel Hall are there.
- Standford Lane
- B3004 between Standford and Lindford now crosses the Wey on a bridge rather
than through a ford a dangerous piece of road for walkers.
- Standford Corn Mill
- Standford Corn Mill, opposite Reynolds Farm (and sometimes referred to as
Reynolds Mill), had an exposed mill wheel. This has now been removed and the
mill building has become a private house, The Old Corn Mill.
- Standford Fulling Mill
- One of the mills at Standford was historically used for Fulling we are
not sure which. The Winchester pipe rolls describe a
water mill at Stanford [sic] held in AD1257 by Henry the Tawyere. Some two
hundred years later it was in the possession of a man called a Cordwainer.
Tawed or white leather was used extensively for clothing and accoutrements.
The cordwainer was not a cobbler but a person producing 'Cordoba type' leather,
just as Henry did. [Farnham Museum newsletter, June 1982]
- Standford Paper Mill (Standford Mill)
- Standford Paper Mill, usually referred to simply as Standford Mill, was
just behind Standford Farm and manufactured paper
until the late 1800s. Now a private house. Although the
mill itself burnt down around 1890, some of the original buildings still remain,
including the drying house.
- Stonedene Close
- Cul-de-sac off Furze Hill Road in Headley Down Stone Dene was a
large house, now demolished the King of Norway stayed there in exile during
- Stone Cottage (was Ivy Cottage)
- Isolated house near Trottsford Farm with date plaque 1827 L+G
once the home of David John Tate, founder of the 'Lilliput
Lane' series of miniature architectural sculptures, Stone
Cottage was the first of the series to be made
- Stone Hill
- Old name (until 1923) for the area now known as Headley
Down covering not only Stonehill Road but also surrounding developments
note that properties such as Kenton House (accessed from the
road now called Beech Hill) were also in the past
described as being in Stone Hill.
- Stonehill Park
- Cul-de-sac off Stonehill Road in Headley Down
- Stonehill Road
- The main road in Headley Down off Grayshott Road
it is said that Stone Hill and Beech Hill were the names of the two original
estates in the Headley Down area.
- Stone Pit Farm, Fullers Bottom
- Entry in bapt reg and 1881 census not sure precisely
- Stores House, Arford
- See Images
- Stream Farm
- On Frensham Lane the general area of the parish around here seems to have
been called Stream on some old documents
- Summer Hill
- Somewhere in the Barley Mow Hill area anyone
- Sunnyside, house in Tulls Lane, Standford
- See Images
- Road in Headley Down between Seymour Road and Furze Hill Road
- Timber-framed house in Headley High Street dating from 1520
Bought in 1871 by William Suter, senior, a paper-maker from Standford. Although
it has an eighteenth century facade, it was originally a jettied Wealden Hall-house,
like Bay Tree farmhouse at the Singleton Open Air Museum. The north
end, which can be seen from the Churchyard, clearly shows its sixteenth century
Dendro-chronology has dated the timber-framing as 1520, which coincides rather
neatly with a document stating that the Rector, John Fyshe, granted his Churchwardens
a piece of land on the condition that they built a new house for use of the
Church for recreation, on the payment of 5s.6d per annum. So was this an early
Church Centre? Or perhaps it was a Chaplain's house, since it agrees in dimensions
with an order given by William de Wykeham to the Prior of Merton that such
a house should consist of a hall with a chamber parted off at either end.
Each house was to be 40ft in length and 18ft in width.
One thing is certain; this house has undergone many changes, for when hard
times came to the community, it was divided into two 'tenements', as they
are called in the deeds, and then into three until well into the middle of
this century. Now it is one dwelling again, and in the course of restoration
many of the original features of the early Wealden have been revealed. The
beams are massive, there are two huge open fireplaces, and a wall painting
has been discovered, consisting of a frieze of curled acanthus leaves, and
a repeat interlace design of red briar roses and buds. Each open flower bears
superimposed upon it a bird in heraldic stance with half open wings and one
raised claw. Because so much of the original structure remains, although not
visible externally, the house is listed with a 'star' rating.
Two of the High Street's wooden and corrugated-iron roofed shops used to stand
where now are Suter's garage and car-port. One was a barber's shop
kept by Thomas Middleton in 1909. The hanging sign in a wrought iron frame
still exists, advertising Headley Toilet Saloon on one side, and Freemans'
Darvel Bay Segars (sic) on the other. The barber's chair, its make-shift headrest
removed, is in constant use in the house. A few yards away from the barber's,
Mr Arthur Knight had his cobbler's shop, where he made and repaired boots
and shoes. He used to hold a store of tacks in his mouth when nailing on a
sole (and so was a good listener) and, when hand-stitching, he quickly made
a hole through several layers of leather with his sharp bradawl. Then, with
a length of waxed thread in each hand, he pushed it through from both directions
and pulled it tight. [To the Ar and Back by Joyce Stevens] See
- See Simmondstone, Simmonstone.
- Symondstone Farm
- On Wishanger Road off Bacon Lane at Simmonstone.
- Taylors Lane, Lindford
- Residential road between Liphook Road and Chase Road in Lindford parish.
Half way down Taylor's Lane was a house on the
right hand side then called Green Acres (the name has been changed
in recent years). The original stone house was built by my great grandfather
Charles Taylor and his wife Jane. It was probably the only house in the lane
and may have had a smallholding attached and the lane itself was merely a
cart track to and from the holding. Charles must have been reasonably wealthy
as by the time he was eighty he was describing himself as a grocer in the
1881 census and living in Kingsley. [Roger Taylor]
- Telconia Close
- Cul-de-sac in Headley Down off Furze Hill Road. Used to be the site of a
bungalow called Telconia. In 1991 a bungalow
was demolished on the site of the new bungalow (No 1) in Telconia Close. The
name of the demolished bungalow was called Telconia and Telconia Close was
named after this bungalow when Bovis homes completed the works later in 1991.
The former occupant of the demolished bungalow was Capt of the Royal Cableship
Telconia which on the 5 August 1914 sortied into the North Sea and
quietly crept into the waters near the German port of Emden and severed all
five of Germany's undersea transatlantic telegraph cables, cutting all communication
with the outside world. After this event, Germany's communications recourse
now lay primarily in diplomatic channels through friendly or neutral embassies
or through the relatively new technology called radio [Tim Poppy] Later
information appears to counter this story and give the honour of cutting the
first cables to a different ship, CS Alert.
- Telephone Exchange
- First exchange, officially called Headley Down, was opened in 1923 in Wilsons
Road. In 1942, the automatic exchange opened in Glayshers Hill It is now
in Barley Mow Hill.
- Telephone Kiosk, in Headley High Street
- See Images
- An area mentioned in 1774 which appears to be between Lindford and Linsted.
- House at Saunders Green at the end of Spats Lane. See
of England and Barn
[It's been restored and altered since}
- Tithe Barn, The
- Next to the old rectory in the High Street Originally
used to store the tenth of their produce that the farmers had to pay to the
Rector as part of his stipend. When payment in kind was commuted to money
the barn was used for a variety of storage until after World War II. Then
John and Peter Ellis, on their return from active service, rented it to bring
on early potatoes for their market-gardening venture on all the Glebe fields.
They installed electricity for heating and lighting, and employed many local
people, for the work was very labour intensive. This stage in the life of
the old barn probably saved it from collapse, for the huge roof was in a very
bad state and the Church could not afford the money for the necessary repairs,
so the income from letting the building was very useful. When Canon Tudor
Jones retired in 1965, after 31 years as Rector, the barn and kitchen garden
behind it were sold to raise money for the modernisation of the Rectory. The
purchaser was Godfrey Bird, an architect, who converted the barn into a most
attractive dwelling. Fortunately he kept a detailed diary of all the problems
involved in the conversion, together with before and after photographs, which
he passed on to the present owners four years later when they bought the property
from him. There is a stone let into the wall over what was the stable door,
with the date 1680 and the letters S.W.M. These are thought to be the initials
of William and Mary Sympson. He was Rector from 1673 to 1695. [To the Ar
and Back by Joyce Stevens]
- Tonard Garage
- In Crabtree Lane, demolished June 2004 and redeveloped to form Rectory View
in 2005. (See Lickfold)
- Trottsford Farm
- Off Picketts Hill (the road) as it nears Sleaford almost isolated by sand-quarrying
pits it is in the civil parish of Headley, but since 1927 in the ecclesiastical
parish of Kingsley. See Images
of England and Barn
- Tulls, Tulls Lane
- See Images
of England plus Barn
- Tulls Lane
- Joins Standford to Liphook Road historically,
Romans and 'Swing' rioters are both reputed to have marched along it on their
way to or from the crossing of the Wey at Standford.
- The A325 was originally built as the Farnham to Petersfield turnpike road
Royal Assent given for this in 1826 Commissioners of Woods & Forests advanced
the sum of £1,000 to complete it in 1832.
- Verner Close
- Unmetalled cul-de-sac off Liphook Road only
about 100 yards long, yet graced with a 30mph speed limit sign in the 1996
hand-out!! Presumably named after Miss Violet Verner who lived in nearby
Crabtree Farm in the 1920s.
- Village Green
- see Headley Village Green.
- Village Hall
- see Headley Village Hall
- Name used in 1774, relating to an area near what is now Headley Fields
- Waggoners Wells = Wakeners Wells
- A string of man-made ponds in Bramshott parish, at the east end of Ludshott
Common a local beauty spot owned by the National Trust since 1919 it is
thought that they were constructed in the 1630s on the orders of Henry Hooke,
lord of the manor of Bramshott, as 'hammer ponds' for his local iron-making
industry, but no proof of this can be found the name
may derive from the Wakener family which occurs in a Winchester Pipe Roll
entry for Headley in 1309.
- Was once the village butcher's shop. Named after the family who kept the
shop here for many years. Legend says part of the building was used as the
Holly Bush pub before this moved across the road. For some years now
it has been a private house. As with most old houses,
this one has had a varied history. It was the original Holly Bush,
and also butcher Slade's shop from the early nineteenth century. Mr Wakeford
took over as butcher in 1879, and his successors kept the name for business
convenience. The end of the wooden beam on which the Holly Bush sign
hung is still visible on the north-east corner of the building. It was this
place that William Cobbett described in 1822 on one of his Rural Rides from
Greatham to Thursley: "We got to Headley, the sign of the Holly Bush,
just at dusk, and just as it began to rain. There was a room full of fellows
in white smock frocks, drinking and smoking and talking. I had neither eaten
nor drunk since eight o'clock in the morning; and as it was a nice little
public house, I at first intended to stay all night, an intention which I
afterwards very indiscreetly gave up." [To the Ar and Back
by Joyce Stevens] See Images
- Walker's Farm, Standford
- Mentioned in the 1822 Valuation
- War Memorial
- Designed by Mr Woodbine Hinchcliffe of Pentlow, and unveiled on 4th July
1920 by Major General W.V. Brownlow CB of Eveley (now renamed Standford
Grange). There is also a marble tablet on the south wall at the back
of the Church, unveiled on 26th September 1920. The memorial
initially commemorated the 96 Headley men who fell in the First World War.
To these were added in 1995 the names of the 48 Headley men who gave their
lives in the Second World War. See Images
- Warners Farm
- Anyone know where this is/was??? - I have a suspicion it was somewhere around
- Area of Lindford Washford Bridge across the River Wey gives pedestrian
access to Bordon.
- Wassell Lane
- Anyone know where this was??? Seems to have been somewhere in the Barford
- Wellfield Corner
- Junction of Mill Lane and Lindford Road Has been notorious for traffic
accidents over many years.
- West View Road [Westview Road]
- In Headley Down between Stonehill Road and Carlton Road.
- Wey, River
- Technically, the river running through Headley is the southern Wey,
whose sources come from Blackdown and Hindhead. The northern branch flows
from Alton through Farnham to meet our branch at Tilford.
- Wey House, Standford
- See Headley Mill Farm. See
of England and Oast
- Wey Valley Farm
- On Tulls Lane
- Wheatsheaf, The
- Public house in Arford, at the bottom of Barley Mow Hill (closed March 2000)
Said to have been built on or near the site of Eade's stonemason's yard
shown on an old map as Arford New Inn. See inventory
in 1864. Demolished in March 2001 the site redeveloped
in 2002, see below.
- Wheatsheaf Cottages
- Close of 10 houses built in 2002 on the site of the Wheatsheaf pub
- White Horse, The
- Now Frensham Pond Hotel Was in the parish of Headley until 1991,
when boundary changes moved it into Surrey.
- White House, High Street
- Of all the houses in the Street, this one must surely
have had the most chequered history. Originally a pretty little cottage, it
was doubled in size, as you can see from the different roof levels, in the
second half of the 19th century. It also had a wooden extension on the south
end. At the beginning of the 20th century it was the home of Mr Richard Curtis,
son of the owner of the shop opposite. Then it became an army house, a Captain's
quarter. Miss Whitfield Hart was the next tenant, and she ran a private dairy
business using the wooden extension. She sold out to Unigate, and the house
was converted horizontally into two flats for their roundsmen.
A subsequent owner completely altered the exterior, replacing the eighteenth
century sash windows with modern metal casements, and removing the gabled
porch. After this, the bottom floor became three small shops in one: a boutique,
a baby shop, and a proprietary chemist's, with flat above. It then reverted
to being a private house once again, with various tenants using just the ground-floor
room at the south end for a small shop, selling ceramics, expensive stationery,
and crafts of all kinds. Finally it has settled down, under the last four
owners, as a private dwelling. [To the Ar and Back by Joyce Stevens]
- Whitehill civil parish (including Bordon) was formed in 1929 from the western
parts of Headley parish plus parts of Selborne parish It included Lindford
until 1982, when the latter became a civil parish in its own right Most
of Whitehill civil parish lay within Headley ecclesiastical parish until the
ecclesiastical parish of Bordon was created in 2002.
- Whitehill Road
- From Standford towards Hollywater and Whitehill
- Whitmore Bottom
- Old name for Whitmore Vale.
- Whitmore Vale [Whitmoor Vale]
- Links Grayshott and Barford, running along the county boundary with Surrey.
Spelt as Whitmore in Hampshire and Whitmoor in Surrey!
- General store, butcher and coal merchant, began trading circa 1950 in the
old laundry building in Eddeys Lane, Headley Down in 1974 it also became
the Headley Down post office. Closed on 3 October 2015.
- Whole Farm
- Mentioned in the 1822 Valuation -
near Elliotts and Plaster Hill Farms?
- Wilsons Road
- Off Grayshott Road in Headley Down named after the family who ran the
shop where the Headley Down's first post office and telephone exchange were
situated. Has been called Post Office Road in the past.
In the 1957 Electoral Register and in maps of the period it was called Beech
Hill Road this name has since been transferred to a different
- Windmill Drive
- Built on land previously occupied by the grounds of Windmill House
- Windmill House
- Andrew Cassels KAY built Windmill House on Glayshers Hill in 1912
demolished for housing, permission being granted in 1968 for the construction
of Kay Crescent, Embleton Road and Windmill Drive. We
have no knowledge of any windmill being here, unless it was a water pump.
- House on Headley Hill Road with views over Fullers Vale built by Edward
I'Anson circa 1875 and originally called The Chalet it was a nursing home
known as Heather Brow for a few years at the turn of the last century (c19th
to c20th) used as an officers' mess during WW2. History
of the property has been investigated by the current owners and the result
published in a book see details.
- Winters Barn Cottage
- On Frensham Lane, opposite Peter's Barn used to be
called Peter's Barn Cottage (re-thatched in Nov 2007)
Janique and Bunny Lewis owned Peters Barn Cottage
as a weekend home for about 20 years until the 1990s [Michael Sumpster]
- Wishanger Farm
- Off Wishanger Lane. Probably site of the old manor house of the Manor of
Wishanger. See A Scandal in
- Wishanger Lane
- Joins Frensham Lane with Bacon Lane and continues to the Surrey county boundary
- Wishanger [Whessanger] (manor of)
- One of the three manors in the parish of Headley.
- Wishanger Manor (Wishanger Lodge)
- Wishanger Lodge (now renamed Wishanger Manor, but never the
manor house) was once the home of Mrs BRANSON, whose son James became a great
local benefactor Branson Road in Bordon is named after him. He
was also the great-uncle of Richard BRANSON, the modern entrepreneur.
- Wishanger Ponds
- Neither so well-known nor so accessible as the string of ponds at Waggoners
Wells, those at Wishanger have a charm of their own. They are fed largely
from springs, and form a small tributary of the River Wey
- Witherslack Close
- Off Stonehill Road in Headley Down
- Workhouse, The
- Now Headley Grange. Built in 1795 as the Union
Workhouse for the combined parishes of Bramshott, Headley and Kingsley. Site
of the Workhouse Riots in November 1830. Sold in 1870
to a builder, who converted it into a private house.
- Yeomans Place
- See Crabtree. See Images
Earliest record of place-names in the Headley Registers:
Bordon Lodge in the Forest
Seamans (now Simmondstones)
Erverd (now Arford)
Return to top Headley Timeline
Headley Home Page
I hope you find this list helpful and informative
It represents the combined efforts of a number of contributors, but none of us would want you to think that it represents all the important information about Headley, or have you believe that everything you read here is necessarily accurate or undisputed.
We have done our best, and hope that you will take the list in that spirit.
If you have any better information which you feel should be added, please contact
Return to top Headley Home Page
This site maintained by John Owen Smith